New I2S Off Ramp questions

Marbles

« on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:02 pm »
Steve, why do you think your soon to be released Off Ramp with I2S connection sounds better with the P3a DAC than the S/P DIF connection?

Thanks

audioengr

Re: New I2S Off Ramp questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2005, 07:37 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Steve, why do you think your soon to be released Off Ramp with I2S connection sounds better with the P3a DAC than the S/P DIF connection?

Thanks

There are some technical reasons that explain why it sounds better:

1) The I2S to S/PDIF  and S/PDIF to I2S conversions add jitter to the signals because of the added digital stages.  These are eliminated with the I2S Off-Ramp.

2) The fact that the clocks are separate with I2S and do not have to be derived from the data reduces jitter.

3) The transformers and coupling capacitors required for S/PDIF are eliminated with I2S.  It is direct-coupled.

Steve N.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2005, 07:45 pm »
Thank you!

studley

Pricing
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2005, 09:24 pm »
Steve
can you give an indication of what the price is going to be for the 12S off ramp turbo?

audioengr

Re: Pricing
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2005, 07:52 pm »
Quote from: studley
Steve
can you give an indication of what the price is going to be for the 12S off ramp turbo?

First cut, it looks like $850.00, but the labor cost is not firm.

I will also offer a non-Superclock3 version will wil be quite excellent I think for $500.  I have a really good oscillator designed onto the board.

PC board going out for fab this week, but long lead-time on parts makes the debut around the first of the new year.

Steve N.