seikosha

Re: Enclosure for Lii F6-S
« Reply #40 on: 23 Oct 2023, 07:03 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the paint!

JCarney

« Reply #41 on: 23 Oct 2023, 08:58 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the paint!

I am too, even though I am reluctant to admit it. I'm shooting for Weds for random orbital sanding, priming and hopefully hand sanding and first color coat if the humidity cooperates.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #42 on: 5 Nov 2023, 07:54 pm »
Been too long since the last update. Life, Grandkids and crap weather have delayed me, but progress has been made the last couple of days. The cabs are assembled, primed twice with sanding between coats, and a base coat has been applied before sanding and the glitter coat.

JCarney

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 5 Nov 2023, 08:21 pm »
The glitter coat - I love it!!

JCarney

« Reply #44 on: 7 Nov 2023, 02:00 am »
My Granddaughter wanted to help mix the glitter into the paint, and help with the painting too. The pics do not show the glitter very good and I will take pics after they dry in better light than my poorly lit basement. It's gonna kill me, but I will wait until tomorrow to load the drivers and take them for a test spin.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #45 on: 7 Nov 2023, 03:41 pm »
They are done and in the entertainment room. I did get one pic that a couple of sparkles can be seen glinting in the sun. Really hard to get the sparkle in a pic. They sound like new drivers, kinda tight and a little congested, but I expect that will get better before the end of the day.

JCarney

DavidS

« Reply #46 on: 7 Nov 2023, 04:36 pm »
great stuff JC - have been thinking about something similar for my small room - will keep reading and looking forward to listening impressions once broken in a bit.

JCarney

« Reply #47 on: 7 Nov 2023, 05:00 pm »
great stuff JC - have been thinking about something similar for my small room - will keep reading and looking forward to listening impressions once broken in a bit.

Thanks David, I appreciate that. Now that the Stingray has warmed up, the new toys already sound a little less congested. I basically just set them in place and hooked them up and hit play. I'll wait until tomorrow for better placement once they have played all night and I'll report my findings.

JCarney

DavidS

« Reply #48 on: 7 Nov 2023, 06:57 pm »
the Lii's seem to have a reputation of taking long periods of time to break in so will be interesting to hear your take on that.  Always loved the funky looks of the Stingray - sort of an industrial art project functioning as an amp.  Nice combo with the Lii monitors.

seikosha

« Reply #49 on: 7 Nov 2023, 07:54 pm »
They look great.  Remind me of a Tonka toy truck!  Congratulations on finishing them.  Thanks for sharing the process and look forward to hearing more about the sound.

JCarney

« Reply #50 on: 7 Nov 2023, 08:07 pm »
DavidS:
I gave that to my wife on her 40th 20 years ago. She would get rid of me before getting rid of the Stingray. :o :lol:
I'm glad you mentioned the long break in, I was unaware.

seikosha:
Thank You. I enjoyed the build and sharing, especially last night with the Granddaughter just vibrating with excitement. Grandson and Daughter not so much.  :? :lol:

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #51 on: 8 Nov 2023, 10:53 pm »
They have been playing pretty much non-stop since I hooked them up yesterday except for a couple hours last night because my wife wanted to vegitate watching a couple of episodes of a show she likes. I just spent a little time with them and they are coming along nicely. Nelly Furtado "Whoa Nelly" playing "Well, Well" and I was surprised how much better the bass sounded, and her voice was pretty good too. I stuck my head in the room a few hours before and it sounded bad, so they need more time to find themselves. I'll keep them playing until I leave. I'm going out of town on Friday for 4 days, so after my return, I will get to know them better and give a much better write up.

JCarney