Anyone heard of a new Goldring turntable??

Tonto Yoder

« on: 28 Dec 2003, 10:44 am »
Vinyl Engine mentions a new budget turntable under breaking news (12/19/03):
http://www.nakedresource.com/news.shtml
With a Rega RB250 and a Goldring cartridge, the table retails for just 139GBP  (which is about what the cart and arm retail for).
One wonders if they'll be imported into the US since they'd be direct competition for Roy Hall's MMF TT's.

michael w

« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2003, 11:44 pm »
OH NO !!!

15 looks and only 1 smartass reply !

Better call the moggy maroon squad.

:mrgreen:

duff138

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2003, 01:28 am »
looks nice.  saw thread on AA.  OEM RB250 arm.  Someone saw it in Canada for $600CAN.  About $460 US, very impressive looking.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2003, 02:31 am »
Hard to say but looks like a combination of the MMF-1 and MMF-2.1 but obviously with a different arm. (I have an Audio Note modified RB-250 on my Audio Note TT-1 table, even their cartridges are modified Goldrings)
  Not a lot of info on the table itself or what the platter is made of. Black Anodized aluminum similar to the MMF-2.1??
  Looks to be a very nice intro table. Hopefully more info will appear shortly!!

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2003, 10:25 am »

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2003, 03:33 am »
It's just one more flimsy belt drive, incapable of proper speed/rotational  stability.  Nothing else.

Rocket

goldring gr1 tt
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2003, 05:53 am »
hi,

wouldn't it be a perfect world if we all bought a technics 1200 tt  :lol: .

btw psychicanimal i received my bluenote piccolo turntable and it works wonderfully.  much better than what you indicated in a previous thread :nono: .

best wishes and happy listening.

regards

rocket

Psychicanimal

Re: goldring gr1 tt
« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2003, 10:41 am »
Quote from: Rocket

btw psychicanimal i received my bluenote piccolo turntable and it works wonderfully.  much better than what you indicated in a previous thread :nono:

Rocket,

Most people think Bose speakers sound wondeful.  Seems you just have never heard a really good analog rig--regardless of drive mechanism.  So does the other guy that posted the thing looks "impressive".

P/A

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2003, 11:20 am »
Most DJ's and scratchers think Technics TT's sound wondeful [sic]: so good, they often buy two.

Someone on AA posted that a review of the Goldring will appear shortly in one of the English mags  (Hi-Fi or something with "Hi-Fi" in its title).

Rocket

goldring tt
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2003, 12:11 pm »
Hi Psychic,

Haha i knew i'd get a response  8)   don't worry i'm just toying with you ....  i'm sure your technics tt sounds great.

Btw i have had a couple of reasonable tt's rega2, acoustic research eb101 and now the bluenote.  The bluenote was only about $200au more than a rega 3 and is constructed much bettter in my opinion.

Back to the goldring the price sounds excellent and should be a fine entry level tt especially with a cartridge thrown in.

Best Wishes

Rocket

Psychicanimal

Re: goldring tt
« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2003, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Most DJ's and scratchers think Technics TT's sound wondeful [sic]: so good, they often buy two.

Actually, a DJ would not use the term "wondeful".  The right term would sound more like "propah deck". :wink:

Quote from: Rocket
Hi Psychic,

Haha i knew i'd get a response  8)   don't worry i'm just toying with you ....  i'm sure your technics tt sounds great.

Btw i have had a couple of reasonable tt's rega2, acoustic research eb101 and now the bluenote.  The bluenote was only about $200au more than a rega 3 and is constructed much bettter in my opinion.

Best Wishes

Rocket
Rocket,

I'm talking bigger, meaner TTs, whether belt, direct or rim drive: SOTA vacuum, Technics SP10....

I know what you're doing, but I just want you to push the envelope.  I recently got a Dennensen air suspension mechanism and a 50-60 lb granite slab to float my 1200 on.  WOW! :o

Rocket

goldring gr1
« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2003, 10:08 pm »
hi psychic,

i would really like to purchase a more expensive tt but the bluenote was all i could afford.  it does sound pretty good imo, the cartridge needs to be replaced and a good quality phonostage would be better as well.  basically cartridge/phonostage are the weak leak, but unfortunately the money has run out.

just remember i will always have to pay almost twice the price of what you pay in the states  :( .  as an example a vpi scout withe jpw 9 tonearm retails for $1500us in the states and i'm sure can be found cheaper as well.  in oz it is $2800au without any chance of a discount.

best wishes and happy listening.

regards

rocket