Search for Turntable is Over

Rocket

« on: 14 Nov 2003, 11:21 am »
Hi Guys,

Well after my search for a phonostage i finally bought a perreaux sxv-1 which i'm quite happy with.

I'm sure there are better quality phonostages available but the perreaux fitted my price range.

Anyway after scowering the internet i've located a good quality turntable, with funky looks and at an exceptional price.

I've ordered a Bluenote Piccolo Turntable with a modified audiotechnica mm cartridge which will cost me $1500 au including customs fees and taxes.  I'm buying it from audionote in singapore.  It's quite a bargain i think as the local dealer in sydney (there are no hifi shops which sell it) was going to sell me one without a cartridge plus shipping for $2000au.  Hifi is so expensive in oz hifi stores don't like to barter at all in my experience.

http://www.hifi.com.sg/products/turntable/bluenote/piccolo.htm

I'll let you know how this turns out.

regards

rocket

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2003, 02:46 am »
Hope the turntable works out for you.  You ordered the B-5 tonearm rather than the unipivot??

Rocket

Bluenote piccolo
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 05:58 am »
Hi,

i ordered the tt with the b-5 tonearm as that was what was included in the package.

i guess i could find out about the uni-pivot tonearm.  is it better quality than the b-5?

do you know much about the bluenote tt's?

regards

rocket

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2003, 11:58 am »
Rod,
sorry, all I know about Bluenote is the infrequent postings I see on the 'net.  But the opinions seem to all be complimentary, so I'd think you've made a good choice going that route.  It's hard to get much info about the tonearms but it seems Bluenote considers the B-5 their basic, normal arm and the unipivot a bit of an upgrade and probably more expensive. (or it MAY just be different than the B-5).

Rocket

Bluenote Piccolo Turntables arrived
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2003, 10:50 am »
Hi guys,

Just thought i'd let you know that my new turntable has arrived today.

I picked it up from australia post and it looks quite nice and hopefully it will sound good as well.

I just have to figure out how to put the damn thing together now.

I had a little luck with taxes as well.  The turntable cost me $1330au plus $90au tax for a total of $1420au.  The table came with a reasonable mm cartridge as well.  In comparison the oz dealer was going to sell it for $2000au without a cartridge plus shipping.

No wonder i went overseas to buy it, makes you wonder about their pricing and confirms my opinion of hifi prices in oz.

i'll let you know how it sounds once it is up and running.

regards

rocket

Rocket

Bluenote Piccolo turntable
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2003, 01:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've been listening to the Turntable for some 2 hours  tonight.  It started off a little rough, no dynamics and weak bass.  Bearing in mind the cartridge is unused and the phonostage (perreaux sxv-1) is also unused it is going well.  I've been playing some old records (i forgot about the pops and some scratches) and it sounded pretty good.

Is it as good as my Perpetual Technologies gear, probably not quite.  But it does do some things which my digital rig can't do.  I also have some 200lps for me to have a listen to.

I'll post some more impressions in a few days time.

As a side note i am experiencing a little bit of hum, any ideas?  it obviously is coming from the phonostage which is located next to my preamp.

regards

rod

jcoat007

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2003, 01:56 pm »
To get the most out of your rig, I highly recommend a Wallytractor.  This will get your cartridge aligned so at least you are getting the most out of your TT/ARM/Cart combo.  

I have not experienced hum before, but I have had feedback.  From what I understand, certain cartridges are more prone to hum than others so you might try swaping cartridges.  Make sure your phono stage and phono cables are not crossing any power cords or other cables and move your phono stage away from power supplies.  

My 2 cents.

Vinyl Rules!!!!

Beezer

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2003, 02:46 pm »
I recently installed a new cartridge and accidently switched the ground leads on the cartridge, which caused some hum.  Otherwise, cable location relative to power cords and such could also be the culprit.  

The cartridge will defintely need some breaking in, usually somewhere in the 25-50 hour range.  As for the alignment and set up, do you have any local shops/friends that can check your work?  Make sure they know what they're doing!

Beez

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2003, 02:52 pm »
I know it seems obvious but... make sure the table is level in all directions.  That made a big improvement for me.

As to humming... what everyone else said...

Good luck and congrats on getting such a nice table!

Beezer

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2003, 02:55 pm »
edited - duplicate post

IanATC

Still searching!
« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:19 pm »
I have been holding off buying a tt.  I am really torn myself.

Emotion says:  USED LINN Lp-12.  I can have one loaded with extras for $1500 USD or less.

Logic says:  Buy something NEW that will be cheaper, and easier to set up.  Ther *HAS*  to be a player out there that makes excellent music that I can still choose carts on.

But there is upgradeability issues, and the inevitable "Yeah, but a LINN sounds better..."  comparision.

jcoat007

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:29 pm »
I have been very, very happy with my Nottingham Spacedeck/Spacearm combo.  I understand the Innerspace is very close in performance and is in your price range.  

Go with Linn if you want endless upgrade options and are a tweaker.  I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy.  

Just my 2 cents.

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:44 pm »
VPI Aries Scout
Rega P25
Michell has a table in this range that looks interesting

of course there is always Used Linn & lots of other tables used

mcrespo71

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2003, 08:00 pm »
Or you could just build a Teres like Josh K did and not worry about Linn envy. :lol:

Psychicanimal

Re: Still searching!
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2003, 04:41 am »
Quote from: IanATC
Ther *HAS*  to be a player out there that makes excellent music that I can still choose carts on.

Yes, there is.... :mrgreen:

sceptic

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2003, 04:55 pm »
Secondhand high end
<-----One of these
is relatively set up free, and can be traded in for a 30% discount on a new Xerxes 10.

Or buy a Rega.
No one ever regrets it.

Have fun choosing.

Tonto Yoder

Re: Still searching!
« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2003, 05:47 pm »
Quote from: IanATC
I have been holding off buying a tt.  I am really torn myself.

Emotion says:  USED LINN Lp-12.  I can have one loaded with extras for $1500 USD or less.

Are Heybrook TT's more prevalent/less scarce over there?? Rather Linnesque, but there isn't much of an upgrade path (which could be a good thing or bad). All you can do is change the arm or get an outboard power supply. More in the $300 US range unless you get a superarm.

Rocket

turntable recommendation
« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:11 pm »
Hi Ian,

As you live in the UK the options are many for you.  You should try living in oz, in my home town (perth) most of the dealers sold either rega or pro-ject turntables.

I have frequently viewed ebay uk and there are many options for you to consider buying.  I probably wouldn't buy a Linn as i think they are a little over rated and are hard to setup.

Why not try a Nottingham Interspace with an origin live tonearm?  Nott's are expensive in oz.  This would have been my first preference but $$$ were tight.

Btw how can i post a picture of my turntable in this post?  i have looked at the faq's and cannot decipher how to do this.

regards

rod

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:20 pm »
Click "Img" in the rectangular box, paste the http of the TT, click "Img" again.

My monkey's http is http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/images/avatars/44554b5b3fa8e90fca9be.jpg

Rocket

bluenote tt
« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2003, 06:47 am »
Hi,

hopefully this will work and show my turntable.