Help in picking out a tube pre?

flavo

Help in picking out a tube pre?
« on: 21 Jul 2019, 09:47 pm »
I'm wanting to switch up my system. I've been buying and listening to tube stuff in my home that is generally getting good reviews in the sub $3k range. It seems that in most of the reviews I read about tube equipment, the gear is praised for sounding more like SS with a hint of tubes.
I think I would like to try something that had a little more of the liquidity and lushness to it. My plan is to get a nice SS power amp to replace my Rogue chronus magnum integrated and get a tube pre with a classic tube sound to try out.
I'm assuming in my naivete that I can't get just any well reviewed tube pre and change tubes to get what I think I want to hear?
I think where I will run into trouble is that I need a remote.
I guess in short. I'm not looking to squeeze the last little bit out of the recordings. Maybe some extra warmth and color would be nice?
Thoughts?
Who makes classic sounding tube pre-amps that I can get with a remote?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Help in picking out a tube pre?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2019, 09:51 pm »
Preamps that use octals (6SN7, 6SL7, etc) have a more classic tube sound than those that use nonals (12ax7, 6922, 12at7, etc).  Go for a pre using octals.  For new production I'd rec the Don Sachs preamp that's generated a fair bit of buzz here on AC.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2019, 09:59 pm »
I like 6SN7/6H8C sound, very linear.
There is a nice offer now in the Trading Circle, a Inspire power amp and a superb hand made preamp for $850:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164592.0
The amp is here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164593.0

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2019, 10:04 pm »
Preamps that use octals (6SN7, 6SL7, etc) have a more classic tube sound than those that use nonals (12ax7, 6922, 12at7, etc).  Go for a pre using octals.  For new production I'd rec the Don Sachs preamp that's generated a fair bit of buzz here on AC.

I forgot to mention - the Don Sachs comes with a remote control option.

flavo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2019, 10:24 pm »
Excellent info! I didn't realize it would be that easy, haha.
And I didn't realize the DSachs pre that has been getting attn was offered with a remote. That is great news.

But in general. I just need to find "Preamps that use octals (6SN7, 6SL7, etc)"

flavo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2019, 10:26 pm »
and octal is 8
nonal is 9?
I had to look that up ;-)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2019, 11:43 pm »
Correct 6SN7 family have 8 pins and being a bigger tube than the 9 pins have more power.
12AX7 family have 9 pins.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2019, 02:17 am »
One slight correction (I think) it's noval, not nonal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_socket

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

RPM123

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2019, 03:08 pm »
+1 on the dehavilland or this, if you can stretch your budget a bit.         

https://www.aricaudio.com/products.php?product=SP6SN7LNE

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:01 pm »
If you absolutely must have a remote control (at least for volume) One solution is the daisy chain a classic tube preamp to your current preamp. I am nearly always using two preamps together. And even three. no problem.
I have four preamps in my system ... and three more laying around...

As for octal tube sets. I agree they do sound more tube like than nine pin. particularly any modern 9 pin preamps.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:25 pm »
If you absolutely must have a remote control (at least for volume) One solution is the daisy chain a classic tube preamp to your current preamp. I am nearly always using two preamps together. And even three. no problem.
I have four preamps in my system ... and three more laying around...

As for octal tube sets. I agree they do sound more tube like than nine pin. particularly any modern 9 pin preamps.
I unknow you are so audiophile :thumb:

jmolsberg

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2019, 06:14 pm »
I would buy a used linear tube audio mz3 - it's really fantastic!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2019, 12:10 am »
I think the UltraVerve 3 will give you the sound you're looking for.
My only complaint is that it's not the last word in detail retrieval but it sure does sound good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2019, 12:24 am »
Wonder if someone can share his sound impressions about the Inspire preamp linked above?
Thanks

bluemeanies

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2019, 12:49 am »
I'm wanting to switch up my system. I've been buying and listening to tube stuff in my home that is generally getting good reviews in the sub $3k range. It seems that in most of the reviews I read about tube equipment, the gear is praised for sounding more like SS with a hint of tubes.
I think I would like to try something that had a little more of the liquidity and lushness to it. My plan is to get a nice SS power amp to replace my Rogue chronus magnum integrated and get a tube pre with a classic tube sound to try out.
I'm assuming in my naivete that I can't get just any well reviewed tube pre and change tubes to get what I think I want to hear?
I guess in short. I'm not looking to squeeze the last little bit out of the recordings. Maybe some extra warmth and color would be nice?
Thoughts?

No remote but in the BEST catorgory Don Sachs SP14 right up there with the BIG NAMES costing $6000+ IMO

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:30 am »

No remote but in the BEST catorgory Don Sachs SP14 right up there with the BIG NAMES costing $6000+ IMO

Don Sachs has a Khozmo remote option.  Which is an excellent remote controls from a quality standpoint.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2019, 05:39 am »
Hi, flavo.

If you were anywhere near to me, I'd happily drive over to your home with my D Sachs Model 2 preamp. It's not the latest version, but it does have Jupiter caps and remote. It's no slouch. Hell, it's fantastic! I've taken it to a couple audio get togethers in the States, to Captainhemo's home, and to a couple get togethers in Taiwan. [My wife is Taiwanese, and we often spend time in Taiwan.] Typical reactions/comments are "This is a $5k to $6k preamp." or "This is every bit as good as an Audio Research preamp."

This past winter I bought a Taiwanese made 6922 preamp for my system there that I had hoped would be as good as my Model 2. I got a really good deal on it. It's good, but it's simply not in the same class.

I'm very definitely a D Sachs fanboy, so keep that in mind.

Good luck with your search, and remember to have fun!

Michael

Charles Calkins

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:38 pm »
Thoughts?
         Do your self a big favor and check out the tube preamps that Frank van Alstine makes. And their price is right !!!

mhconley

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2019, 05:05 pm »
I love my YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2 preamplifier. It matches very well with my class D monoblocks. Chui Yat Sang is a good guy and makes some darned nice equipment: http://www.ys-audio.com/ys-audio_eng.htm

Martin