Well Tempered Amadeus mk1 vs mk2

jawks

Well Tempered Amadeus mk1 vs mk2
« on: 28 Aug 2019, 02:32 pm »
Hi there - I'm new to this group and was hoping to ask for some guidance.  I'm very interesting in buying a Well Tempered Amadeus turntable, preferably a used one in very good or better condition.  I have not had a chance to hear one, but I have read the reviews and some of the different threads on the topic.  There's a listing on usaudiomart for a mk1 that's been there since April.  Is there a substantial difference in sound between the mk1 and mk2, such that I should hold out for a used mk2 to show up on the market, or is it worth my time to consider the mk1 if it can be purchased for a decent price?

Many thanks!

sunnydaze

Re: Well Tempered Amadeus mk1 vs mk2
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2019, 04:10 pm »
I have no experience with the WT so I can't comment on it, but if I were you I'd give serious consideration to this:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649547395-origin-live-calypso-ii-turntable-amp-zephyr-iii-tonearm-sale-sale/

I own three OL arms and one OL table.  All are excellent.  The arm on offer here is higher in the OL lineup than two of mine, as is the table.  IMO it's a killer deal, I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet.

Click on my system to get a feel for my rig and tastes.

I have no vested interest nor affiliation with the seller.  If I didn't already have so much vinyl gear, I'd buy it.  Yesterday!!     8)

jawks

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2019, 05:05 pm »
I have no experience with the WT so I can't comment on it, but if I were you I'd give serious consideration to this:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649547395-origin-live-calypso-ii-turntable-amp-zephyr-iii-tonearm-sale-sale/

I own three OL arms and one OL table.  All are excellent.  The arm on offer here is higher in the OL lineup than two of mine, as is the table.  IMO it's a killer deal, I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet.

Click on my system to get a feel for my rig and tastes.

I have no vested interest nor affiliation with the seller.  If I didn't already have so much vinyl gear, I'd buy it.  Yesterday!!     8)

Thank you very much for your reply.  I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm more interested in getting a WT table.  Glad to hear you are enjoying your system, though!

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2019, 05:46 pm »
I've had the original Amadeus for several years now.  When other versions came out, I really didn't have much interest. Maybe there were some sonic advantages, but my guess (and it's just that) is that the newer versions were weighted more toward changes in aesthetics or user friendliness. Bottom line is I think the heart and soul of the Amadeus is the genius of the original basic design. I would jump on a MK.1 without hesitation providing it's in pristine condition.

jawks

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2019, 06:03 pm »
I've had the original Amadeus for several years now.  When other versions came out, I really didn't have much interest. Maybe there were some sonic advantages, but my guess (and it's just that) is that the newer versions were weighted more toward changes in aesthetics or user friendliness. Bottom line is I think the heart and soul of the Amadeus is the genius of the original basic design. I would jump on a MK.1 without hesitation providing it's in pristine condition.

Thank you for your thoughts. That’s exactly what I was wondering. Would I really reap that much more benefit by waiting for a mk2. It seems that the original Amadeus was very well received when it was first released about 10 years ago or so.  Have you done anything to upgrade your Amadeus? 

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2019, 06:56 pm »
I've changed the oil in the bearing well maybe twice and added an A23 record mat.... plus routine cleaning course. Other than that it's just been the occasional cartridge and cable swaps. I did make an adjustable custom base for isolation and leveling as well. The Amadeus makes no provision for leveling. I have no idea if the newer designs addressed this or not. Doesn't appear to be the case though.

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2019, 07:16 pm »
I will add that it's greatly to your advantage to learn the art of fabricating your own .004" poly "belts".  The instructions are in the manual and fairly straight forward.  That said, there is a learning curve. The "belts" will break in time. The materials are practically free, but the fabrication was initially frustrating, at least it was for me and my dated eyesight.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2019, 07:24 pm »
It's funny that the first couple of years I owned my Amadeus, i went through a belt every few months. But for some reason, I haven't broken a belt in years now. Go figger........

Shakey

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2019, 09:51 pm »
"Shakey".....I've pondered this myself. Dental floss is another one. All I can figure that along that endless spool of thread, (or floss) perhaps the manufacturing process leaves some weak or compromised sections. That's all I got  :?

jawks

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:09 am »
Thank you all for your comments! Do most of you have the Amadeus mk1?

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2019, 01:53 am »
Thank you all for your comments! Do most of you have the Amadeus mk1?

I have a Mk II.
I think the biggest difference is on the MK II the top of the golf ball is covered by a silver plate so you can't really tell it's a golf ball. I joke that it's because of all the guys bringing home ~ $3,000 tables and their wives seeing the golf ball and saying WTF did you spend all that money on?!? I'm probably at least half right.
I always assumed the MK I and MK II sounded pretty much the same but I don't know for sure.

jsawyer09

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2019, 06:23 pm »
I've got a Well Tempered Amadeus GTA, and it has the dual-layer sandwiched aluminum plinth, which makes it quite heavier than my MK I version. Other than what has been already offered, I think that's where it ends. I cannot and will not say the GTA is a 'better' turntable than the MK I; either is an enormously outstanding 'table, period.

jawks

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2019, 01:04 pm »
Thanks for your input!  It looks like mk1's, mk2's, and GTA's don't show up all that often on the used market (perhaps a testimony to their quality and how much owners like them), so I will have to be patient.

jsawyer09

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2019, 02:45 pm »
Thanks for your input!  It looks like mk1's, mk2's, and GTA's don't show up all that often on the used market (perhaps a testimony to their quality and how much owners like them), so I will have to be patient.

Hi jawks.
There is currently one here: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649519969-well-tempered-labs-amadeus-mk1-turntable/
I think it is a bit high of an asking price, reflected in how long it has sat unsold (assuming it hasn't and the seller has neglected to take the ad down). I would see if they don't come down on the price a bit. It will be entirely worth it. Either way, good luck!

jawks

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2019, 02:51 pm »
Yes, thanks, I saw that one and inquired about it.  I asked a specific question about the table and did not receive a reply, so I have been a bit hesitant to proceed.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2019, 03:19 pm »
Your patience will be worth it. I have a Mark I Amadeus and it is a great table.

Shakey

jawks

« Reply #16 on: 4 Sep 2019, 03:21 pm »
Thanks, Shakey!  Hopefully, I will be able to land a mk1 or mk2 within the next year!

mick wolfe

« Reply #17 on: 4 Sep 2019, 05:05 pm »
FWIW and if push comes to shove, the basic Amadeus with what looks to be a MK.II arm still lists for $2850. The extra $ spent gets you a brand new table with dealer support if an issue were to arise.

jawks

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2019, 05:23 pm »
Yes, that is true.  I will keep this as an alternative should I not be able to find a used table!  Thanks!

G E

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2020, 04:26 pm »
I have a Mk II.
I think the biggest difference is on the MK II the top of the golf ball is covered by a silver plate so you can't really tell it's a golf ball. I joke that it's because of all the guys bringing home ~ $3,000 tables and their wives seeing the golf ball and saying WTF did you spend all that money on?!? I'm probably at least half right.
I always assumed the MK I and MK II sounded pretty much the same but I don't know for sure.

The silver plate atop the golf ball will make it easier to visually center it in the cup. Important when aligning the tone arm/ cart.