Salk SongTower RT's for sale on Audiogon...

Nuance

Salk SongTower RT's for sale on Audiogon...
« on: 7 Sep 2009, 09:07 pm »
For anyone interested here's a pair of Medium Curly Cherry SongTower's for sale at Audiogon.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1257376221&/Salk-Sound-SongTower-Ribbon-Tw

stc4life

Re: Salk SongTower RT's for sale on Audiogon...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2009, 09:42 pm »
For anyone interested here's a pair of Medium Curly Cherry SongTower's for sale at Audiogon.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1257376221&/Salk-Sound-SongTower-Ribbon-Tw

Are these KShep's? 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm »

FidelitySeeker

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2009, 08:42 pm »

Not anymore!!! :D :D :D

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2009, 08:55 pm »

Not anymore!!! :D :D :D
Congrats!  Enjoy man. 

FidelitySeeker

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:06 am »
Thanks!
Reading your "Journey" blog is what got me interested in them. I would have liked to audition them first, but just didn't see a good way to make that happen until I saw KShep's used pair on Audiogon!

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:18 am »
I think you'll enjoy them very much.  But, as always, please do let us know what you think, even if you hate them.  :)

Kris

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:21 am »
Does pointing this forum to outside used speaker sales hurts Salk sales? I was wondering the same for other small ID companies that have more and even all speaker models come for sale often at AG or Ebay.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2009, 06:03 am »
My take is that Jim Salk, first and foremost, wants to spread the joy of great sounding speakers and the aesthetic appreciation of his woodworking art.

A used sale just further strengthens the Salk "family", provides word of mouth advertising, and sometimes results in an upgrade down the road.

Steve

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:35 pm »
My take is that Jim Salk, first and foremost, wants to spread the joy of great sounding speakers and the aesthetic appreciation of his woodworking art.

A used sale just further strengthens the Salk "family", provides word of mouth advertising, and sometimes results in an upgrade down the road.

Steve

Although it would be nice to get some candid feedback on the reason for the sale--particularly if it's related to crossover issues.  I certainly want to know why a design isn't working for someone.

TJHUB

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:19 pm »
Does pointing this forum to outside used speaker sales hurts Salk sales? I was wondering the same for other small ID companies that have more and even all speaker models come for sale often at AG or Ebay.

I don't think so, and for the reasons stated in the above posts.  And for me, if you ever see my Salk's up for sale, it's because I'm getting BIGGER Salk's.  :D 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:52 pm »
I think that it would be worse for Salk's reputation and Salk sales if used Salk speakers did not sell quickly.  Used Salk speakers rarely remain on the market for very long, which is an indication of the demand for the speaker and which improves Salk's reputation. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:54 pm »
And for me, if you ever see my Salk's up for sale, it's because I'm getting BIGGER Salk's.  :D

I already did that!  And if I can, I will do it again!

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:10 pm »
Although it would be nice to get some candid feedback on the reason for the sale--particularly if it's related to crossover issues.  I certainly want to know why a design isn't working for someone.

It had nothing to do with flaws or crossover issues.  He sold his ST's because he wanted more bass slam and depth in his room without adding a subwoofer.  He's now running Revel F32's, for what its worth.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:29 pm »

It had nothing to do with flaws or crossover issues.  He sold his ST's because he wanted more bass slam and depth in his room without adding a subwoofer.  He's now running Revel F32's, for what its worth.

Thanks.  I would like to hear the F32's.  I need to get out more. 

K Shep

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:00 pm »
From DMurphy
DMurphy

My experience in high-end audio has been a short one. So please forgive my apprenticed desciptions.  In the last 6 months I have moved from a pair of Monitor Audio BR5s to PMC GB1s then onto ST RTs.  The Song Towers are a special speaker IMO.  The detail of the midrange is exceptional in my comparision to other speakers, which is due to the exceptional crossover design.  What I have learned is most of the musical energy is in the midrange.  And the RT upgrade adds the air that I enjoy in a good system.  I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to own and live with one of hottest speakers on the market today, for good reason. 

I have listened to many speakers in the last 6 months.  Sonus Faber, Verity, Paradigm, Usher BE718, Esoteric MG-10, Dynaudio C1, B&W 683; 802, Dali Helicon and Revel.  None of these speakers were a fit for me before I purchased the SongTowers.  And when they arrived I was a happy man.  What I noticed after 2 months was the lack of low frequency.  That said the STs are the best $1800 I have heard.  I chose the RT upgrade so my pair was a little more than $1800, but things equal when discussing the bass issue, its an $1800 speaker.  I had the opportunity to listen to the STs next to a few other mfg speakers and my conclusion was, for me, to step up to a 3 way speaker.

If you know my story, I have been taking steps up the ladder and I will continue to take these steps.  For now the next step has to be a larger room, which will not happen for a few years.  I considered the HT3 but I ended up with a 3 way with a small footprint that I can get up into my listening attic (tough access for anything over 70lbs).  So I will always be a Salk fanboy and when I have a bigger room I will audition a pair of HT3s or HT3as.

Kirk

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:27 pm »
For now the next step has to be a larger room, which will not happen for a few years.  I considered the HT3 but I ended up with a 3 way with a small footprint that I can get up into my listening attic (tough access for anything over 70lbs). 
+1 buddy.  I feel your pain.  And don't worry about anything bigger than what you have for now; they simply won't work with the limited space available.  The HT3's would not work in your current room, nor would they in mine.  But when you and I do finally get a dedicated room of decent size, it's ON!  :D

TomW16

« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2009, 06:21 pm »
I agree that the speaker room interface is very critical.

K Shep

« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2009, 06:29 pm »
I think that it would be worse for Salk's reputation and Salk sales if used Salk speakers did not sell quickly.  Used Salk speakers rarely remain on the market for very long, which is an indication of the demand for the speaker and which improves Salk's reputation.

The SongTower RT's on AudiogoN sold in 9 days!

srb

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2009, 06:48 pm »
The SongTower RT's on AudiogoN sold in 9 days!

Which is pretty good, considering the state of the economy.

Even though they were like new and only 3 months old, people normally expect a decent discount on used equipment.  The fact they only had to be discounted 12% to get a relatively quick sale also says a lot about their value and desireablility in the marketplace.

Steve