Bryston with Mirage System: Can I improve the musicality?

CodyRed

Trying to get more musicality (a little beauty) from this system. You think it's possible to get a more musical sound from this system with the addition of a tube preamp?  I have a Joule Electra LA150 mk2 that will soon arrive from being serviced.  Room 11 X18 by 8 carpet over concrete slab family room. Listen to lots of old school jazz (Hard Bop/ Modal).

The system:
Amp: Bryston 14 BSST; Power cable:
Cables: JW Audio Cryo Nova Speaker cables
Preamp: Classe CP 3
Transport: Jolida JD 100;
Transport: Krell Standard mk3
W4S DAC2
Computer: MacBook Pro 13”
CDP: Don Allen Marantz changer
APS Purepower 1050 regenerator running everything but sub
AC Outlet: Maestro
Speakers: Mirage OMD 28
Rythmik F15HP-SE sub

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Bryston with Mirage System: Can I improve the musicality?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2012, 01:49 pm »
Trying to get more musicality (a little beauty) from this system. You think it's possible to get a more musical sound from this system with the addition of a tube preamp?  I have a Joule Electra LA150 mk2 that will soon arrive from being serviced.  Room 11 X18 by 8 carpet over concrete slab family room. Listen to lots of old school jazz (Hard Bop/ Modal).

The system:
Amp: Bryston 14 BSST; Power cable:
Cables: JW Audio Cryo Nova Speaker cables
Preamp: Classe CP 3
Transport: Jolida JD 100;
Transport: Krell Standard mk3
W4S DAC2
Computer: MacBook Pro 13”
CDP: Don Allen Marantz changer
APS Purepower 1050 regenerator running everything but sub
AC Outlet: Maestro
Speakers: Mirage OMD 28
Rythmik F15HP-SE sub

Adding a tubed preampmay do it for ya. Depends on preamp and tubes used.   The joule is not a colore preamp. You may be able to play with tubes to change its character though.
    If it were me I would consider listening to a tubed DAC or CDP first. Especially the EAR  Acute, AMR and Lector. Please note that the powercord to the Amp may help as well. Not to the degree of a different Pre or CDP but affective. Several of our club members who use Bryston use Triode Wire Labs power cords.
   If you can try a Conrad Johnson preamp an older one they mate very well with Bryston amps. Wonderfull synergy.  have fun trying.

charles

CodyRed

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2012, 02:46 pm »
Hi rollo, thanks for the feedback.  I actually have a Triode 8 power cord  (20 amp conversion) that I bought specifically for the 14BSST  but have not been impressed with it and removed it. (it was well broken in too).  I'll likely give it another try since you mention it.

mkaiser

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2012, 03:13 pm »
Do you have any room treatment done to the room other than the carpet on the floor? If not, invest in room treatment first before spending more money on expensive equipment. Have your local dealer come over for a listen and he can suggest improvement to your environment. You have a decent system as is and it just needs some room tweaking.
Have fun and enjoy.

Mark

CodyRed

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2012, 09:03 pm »
The ansewer is Yes! The musicality can be improved.  I added a SR Powercell 10SE and a Joule Electra LA 150 mII and the system has more musical realism.

James Edward

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
The Bryston BP 26 pre with power supply is a mighty fine match. I have been on the merry-go-round of equipment for ten years, and have settled on the BP26/4BSST2 combo. Mirage has never been known as a bright/revealing/thin sounding speaker to my knowledge; those do not pair well with Bryston.
Try one from an Internet dealer or local one that offers a 30 day trial period.
I also use KCI Silkworm plus cables- a smooth cable if there ever was one...