9BSST vs 9BSST²

scb

9BSST vs 9BSST²
« on: 3 Nov 2012, 11:41 am »
What are the differences between a 9BSST and a 9BSST²? If the differences are large, can an SST be upgraded to an SST²?

I think I want to move from my Arcam P7 amp to some flavor of the Bryston 9BSST, but don't know how much better the SST² sounds than the SST. I could buy a used 9BSST Pro (which started out as a 9BST Pro and was upgraded to an SST), but I don't know what I'd be missing by not getting an SST².

Thanks!

Markwatkiss

Re: 9BSST vs 9BSST²
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2012, 12:10 pm »
The SST2 product line is simply more refined and produces an even lower noise floor than its predecessors.The guy you want to be speaking with is James Tanner,perhaps if he's surfing this tread he'll chime in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm »
HI

SST² (Squared) Amplifier Philosophy

FIRST TO LAST WATT PHILOSOPHY:

A significant part of the design criteria for the new SST² (squared) was to develop amplifiers that would maintain an ideal power curve through the 'first and last watt'. Most amplifiers exhibit a power curve whereby the best noise floor, drive capability and distortion are maintained from about 1/3 power and up. The new Bryston SST² (squared) series maintain their ideal power curve right from the first watt to the last watt. Think of it like a torque curve in a car. The sweet spot or the torque curve has been expanded.

Achieving this 'First-to-last-Watt' fidelity and clarity has to do with a number of design approaches:

•   First is complete freedom from low-level crossover, or zero-crossing, artifacts.  This is not as easy as it sounds.  Most class-AB amplifiers have sufficient bias to prevent primary crossover distortion, but there is another type of crossover artifact called 'secondary crossover distortion', caused by insufficient speed in the driver transistors.  We use very fast drivers to prevent this, but more important is Bryston's proprietary Quad Complementary Output design vastly reduces the capacitance 'seen' by the driver transistors, virtually eliminating storage delay in the output stage that could contribute to nonlinearities in the zero-crossing region.

•   Second is Bryston's continuing efforts to reduce low-level noise.  The clarity of Bryston's designs is enhanced at low listening levels by pushing the noise floor far below the signal level, improving the 'silence between the notes' and enhancing the clarity of the music at low power levels.

•   Third is Bryston's concentration on reducing distortion at all levels, and most especially at high frequencies.  Bryston amplifiers are perhaps the only designs to concentrate as much effort at reducing HF distortion artifacts as we do, and the results are remarkably 'flat' THD-with-frequency curves, showing almost no tendency to increase distortion as frequency rises.  This has the effect of reducing overall 'haze', helping to pull the quietest passages out of the background.

There are other small contributors to this low-level clarity, some having to do with power-supply design for extreme stability, (and in Stereo or multi-channel amps, separated for each channel), which very notably improves the placement-in-space and focus of the sonic 'image'.  We think the overall result is an unprecedented degree of clarity and freedom from artificiality, especially noticeable at lower levels in comparison with other designs, but continuing to even the highest outputs.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2012, 02:15 pm »
WOW.. yeah.. Reading that makes me want to run out and buy another Bryston amp!
I love my 4B-SST2.
And the high frequency thing. Yup. I am a high frequency nutcase. It has to be perfect, totally perfect, and the Bryston really gives me a clean clear smooth detailed HF response. hard to find amps that do it well.
Love my Bryston!.

servingko

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2012, 04:49 pm »
Another this to consider is that a 9st upgrade to sst is most likely just a replacement of the output devices.  As I recall, there were other changes.  To add more confusion, there was some discussion surrounding two types of sst devices, the square black ones and an earlier round silver version that looks like the older st device.  Depending on the age of the boards in he 9bst, not all of the updates may have been possible and as a result may not match the performance of an sst much less an sst2.

scb

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2012, 10:58 pm »
Thanks.  It sounds like you're all telling me to spend more money  :duh: :)

scb

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2012, 10:15 pm »
If i pull the trigger on a 9BSST², hopefully there isn't a 9BSST³ on the way (or a 7 channel amp)...

rmurray

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm »
  James  could there be a sst3(cubed) soon?. If so, I will reserve my purchase of my new 4b. Please be honest  LOL :thumb: :lol:

spinner

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm »
   Me as well  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2012, 11:02 pm »
  James  could there be a sst3(cubed) soon?. If so, I will reserve my purchase of my new 4b. Please be honest  LOL :thumb: :lol:

NO SST cubed in the works.

James

rmurray

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2012, 05:17 pm »
  Thanks, that's relief  :lol:

bjski

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2012, 08:21 pm »
I'm using my 9BSST/2 in my home theater driving Axiom M80/3. The 9B rocks! I've driven this amp to concert levels with no clipping. Granted the Axiom's are very efficent and 4 ohms. If there is any complaint the amp runs warm compared to my 7BSST/2 in the man cave. :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:02 am »
  Elizabeth, is your amp a C or  Pro version?  :eyebrows:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:58 am »
My amp is not a 'pro' version.
It is the regular one from a local retail audio dealer.
It was ordered from Bryston, as the dealer did not have a 19" black with handles in stock.
So I ordered it in Spring of 2010 (Just by chance before that Spring price increase)
If that makes it a "C" then that is what it is
(I guess I do not know what C means exactly? Series within 4B-SST2?)
Anyway, I am very pleased with my Bryston 4B-SST2.

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2012, 06:06 pm »
 I think Bryston has said the "C" means "Cunsumer". The "pro "has the variable level controls on the rear panel. The front panel is 3 sections with removable handles .  The C also has that great half inch thick front with the laser cut logo :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2012, 06:09 pm »
 Did you have a chance to compare your 4b sst 2 to the older ST model? :rock: