PS3 just died

ton1313

PS3 just died
« on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:17 am »
It is the older, larger version. It will cost $150 to fix. The CD drive stopped spinning.
Is it worth fixing, or should I get the newer version?

Woodsea

Re: PS3 just died
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:30 am »
Is it the backward compatible one?  60gb I believe.  That one is worth alot of money.  If not, I say you got you money's worth, and you can purchase another.  I believe Sony needs to offload alot more of these, so I foresee a price cut looming in the next 3 months. 

ton1313

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2010, 01:16 am »
40gb non-backward compatable

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:52 am »
40gb non-backward compatable

Wow $150 is a lot, you could probably buy a used one of that model for less than that, or get a cheap junked one for the DVD drive if you want to try to replace it yourself.

ton1313

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2010, 10:13 pm »
broke down and got a new one. much quieter and slimer.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2010, 12:02 am »
Well done.   :thumb: 

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2010, 12:03 am »
Got a slim 4 days ago and it is nothing but spectacular.  Even my son notices the resolution differential between it and the Wii.  When asking him which is better he says, the black one.  The demo downloadable feature is also a big +++.  Sure it beats getting games that cost $$$ and have my 4 year old get frustrated and stop playing the first couple of rounds.  With the big HDD, plenty of demos can be had at one's fingertip.  It is a big+++. 

The sleekness factor of the PS3 OS is also a plus but it does take a while to get a hang of it.  Big plus to Sony in contrast to its many botched OS jobs in different previous consumer products. 

Surely worth the money, in my book.