Listening to ABBA

Mag

Listening to ABBA
« on: 11 Feb 2021, 04:48 pm »
Listening to ABBA on Youtube. :oops:
I have to admit that the women's voices sound so beautiful, but it's also their Hit songs.

I think the Blonde's singing is the stronger of the two but the Brunette has a nice voice too when she takes the lead. They certainly compliment each other when singing together.

richidoo

Re: Listening to ABBA
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2021, 04:58 pm »
I like Dancing Queen. Uplifting and well made song. It was a hit during a particularly good time in my life.
Don't know much about them other than they are scandinavian or dutch or something.  :scratch:

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2021, 07:32 pm »
Don't know much about them other than they are scandinavian or dutch or something.  :scratch:

Yeah, that's always perplexed me too. It's so difficult to figure out who they are or where they came from.

I wish someone would create some kind of way to search for information on the internet and maybe some kind of online encyclopedia so that people could satisfy their sincere curiosity about such things. A system like that would really help us make more substantive contributions to this forum.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2021, 07:45 pm »
ABBA is still one my favorites.   :D :thumb:

Btw, they are from Sweden.

Craig B

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2021, 08:38 pm »
You all must be considerably younger than I am. ABBA was a huge thing, at least in terms of record sales world-wide. Really big. Like equal to Sweden's gross domestic output big.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2021, 10:34 pm »
You all must be considerably younger than I am. ABBA was a huge thing, at least in terms of record sales world-wide. Really big. Like equal to Sweden's gross domestic output big.

Yep, I remember that.  :wink:

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2021, 10:40 pm »
I wish someone would create some kind of way to search for information on the internet and maybe some kind of online encyclopedia so that people could satisfy their sincere curiosity about such things.

Wikipedia has pages on almost any artist you might be interested in learning more about, usually very complete and links to other bands that members might have played in. Can be a real rabbit hole of information. Quick look and there was a long page on ABBA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2021, 11:48 pm »
I have always liked ABBA music since the 1970s, very good compositions, usually the songs are octaved what lend to the music a refined character that are very suited to female voices.

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2021, 12:12 am »
I wish someone would create some kind of way to search for information on the internet and maybe some kind of online encyclopedia so that people could satisfy their sincere curiosity about such things. A system like that would really help us make more substantive contributions to this forum.

A utoob search for ABBA biography will keep you busy for a very long while!

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2021, 01:54 am »
Listening to ABBA on Youtube. :oops:
I have to admit that the women's voices sound so beautiful, but it's also their Hit songs.

I think the Blonde's singing is the stronger of the two but the Brunette has a nice voice too when she takes the lead. They certainly compliment each other when singing together.

The blonde had a long solo career.  The brunette was a far better and more graceful dancer, and far sexier as well.  Watch them in the videos. The blonde looks clumsy compared to the brunette.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2021, 03:52 am »
Mag, I recently saw a great documentary on ABBA on PBS.A must see for fans....Mark

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2021, 10:37 am »
A group that mysteriously attracted a wide range of age groups in their day.  Was in Finland on a cultural exchange when their first big hit, Waterloo, was popular in 1974 and owned a Saab in the 70's/80's so am a fan.  Stopped in Stockholm for a day on a cruise of the Baltic a couple of years ago and could have visited the ABBA museum, but from the reviews understood it to be expensive and overrated. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:02 pm »
No, just no.  I wish the members of ABBA great success and a happy life, but no, not good music.  The very definition of elevator music.

mhconley

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:43 pm »
If you like ABBA (I do) you need to see Mamma Mia! - the musical, not the movie. My wife and I saw a stage production in San Francisco about 12 years ago and it was fantastic.

Martin

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:53 pm »
No, just no.  I wish the members of ABBA great success and a happy life, but no, not good music.  The very definition of elevator music.

Ah, you don't have to worry about that. Each member of ABBA's Net Worth is estimated to be between 2 to $300 million. That's more money then I have or ever will. Would I be happy with 300 million dollars? I would have one hell of a good time finding out.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2021, 03:05 pm »
If you love ABBA don't miss their 2021 tour with 5 new songs along with your favorites.

And they haven't aged a day - because they are holograms.

You can take the stage and sing along with life size ABBA holograms at ABBA The Museum in Stockholm
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0wbCrg-_rM&ab_channel=AbbaVEVO

Virtual tour and tickets here:
https://abbathemuseum.com/en/

ABBA 2021 tour tickets
https://www.ticketmaster.com/abba-the-concert-tickets/artist/1469412

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2021, 03:19 pm »
In the 70/80s I was ashamed to say that ABBA songs sounded good and was well arranged because the band was classified as romantic and because I was in prog rock, but the level of rock bands started to drop precipitously in the 90s due the rise of mediocre musical rhythms on radio and TV, which resulted in a generation of teenagers who already were semi-illiterate in their own native language, becoming cultural illiterates.

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2021, 04:34 pm »
If you like ABBA (I do) you need to see Mamma Mia! - the musical, not the movie. My wife and I saw a stage production in San Francisco about 12 years ago and it was fantastic.

Martin

Yes!  The live stage musical was great!  :thumb:  The movies were awful!  :shake:

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2021, 04:47 pm »
 :D  :D  :D

MttBsh

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2021, 05:46 pm »
I love Sweden and the Swedish people but Abba is WAY too pop/happy/disco for me. My wife loves the whole ABBA/Mama Mia thing and I respect that but it gets me out of the house every time. She often plays ABBA when I take our dog out for long walks. My X wife dragged me to a Mama Mia stage production twenty years ago and I have no doubt it helped hasten our separation.