Krell HTS 7.1/Anthem D1/Arcam AV9

divisionbell77

Krell HTS 7.1/Anthem D1/Arcam AV9
« on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:25 am »
Very soon I will be upgrading my speakers to a pair of song towers, song center and surround 1's.

I will be selling my current speakers, though keeping my HSU STF-2 for a bit until I order a rythmik sub(or 2).

In the mean time i have been looking to upgrade my Denon 3808, sometime this summer.

I am very much a 50/50 movie/music guy.  The Denon is a nice unit and all, but I got it far before I got my OPPO BluRay player and it was just a place holder for the future.  i no longer need the Denon to do the decoding of the highres movie audio, and can have the OPPO do it and send it via analog.

This has brought me to look at older, much higher end, sperates than looking to newer, 'bang for the buck' seperates, since I am looking at the same price anyways.  I would rather pay for better sound, especially for music.

Has anyone used the HTS 7.1, the Anthem D1, or the Arcam FMJ AV9 with Song Towers, or even any Salk speakers at all?  I list these as all can be had at under $2k used, and have been rated highly as a combo for music and movie lovers.

I would be using the digital out from a Squeezebox Duet receiver to the digital in of the processor to do the digital to analog converting. SACD/DVD-A and CD would be in the OPPO(CD via digital out).  How about the Krell, Arcam or Anthem in general?

I really like the Anthem for how it is easy to upgrade, and have read some impressive results from ARC(cheap feature that can easily be added) from people and journalists that swear they have never liked any room or speaker correction before using ARC.

Nuance

Re: Krell HTS 7.1/Anthem D1/Arcam AV9
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:20 am »
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of those.  I'd  buy based on features and connections and what not.  If any have Home Theater bypass you can still leave your Denon in the mix.  Or you could just go 2-channel with HT bypass and again leave the Denon in for surround sound, maybe running the Squeezebox through an external DAC. 

Whichever you go with I am sure you'll love it.

P.S.  ARC is quite cool, for what its worth.  I've seen and heard it in action in my buddy's D2v.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:29 am »
I heard the Anthem with the HT-3's and I really really liked what I heard. The Salks played both loud and clear as a bell. I haven't had the opportunity to hear the other 2 preamps with anything.

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2010, 05:03 am by satfrat »

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:43 am »
I heard the Anthem with the HT-3's and I really really liked what I heard. The Salks played both loud and clear as a bell. I haven't had the opportunity to hear the other 2 preamps with anything.

Cheers,
Robin

:D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:02 am »
:D

Thank Nuance.  :thumb:  It was actually a few years ago when I auditioned this system and it was a matching Anthem amp/preamp system. It was quite the experience, that much I remember really well.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

divisionbell77

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:10 pm »
Without hearing any of them, the Anthem was the one I was most interested in.  I really like how it is upgradeable to the newest version for a fraction of the MSRP of the newest version.  I do not like the fact I would be dealing with US to Canada customs for any possibly warranty/upgrade work with them, though.  The Krell HTS series was supposed to be upgradable, but they stopped any new upgrades after the 7.1 version from what I have scene online.

I also figured that any of these units bought blindly used could easily be sold for the same price within 30 days if I am not pleased with the sound.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:22 pm »
This might come across as 2 channel snobbery, but I have yet to hear a pre/pro that sounds as good as a decent dedicated preamp, let alone a good one.

I think the better path (as suggested by Nuance) is to get a dedicated 2 channel preamp with HT bypass capabilities and continue using your 3808 (which is a very nice unit).

This will provide better sonics than going with any of the pre/pro options.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:23 pm »
This might come across as 2 channel snobbery, but I have yet to hear a pre/pro that sounds as good as a decent dedicated preamp, let alone a good one.

I think the better path (as suggested by Nuance) is to get a dedicated 2 channel preamp with HT bypass capabilities and continue using your 3808 (which is a very nice unit).

This will provide better sonics than going with any of the pre/pro options.

George

I couldn't agree more.

targa02

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:36 pm »
You might want to consider the McCormack Audio MAP-1.  This is a very nice multi-channel pre amp with no processing capability, which you do not need, since the decoding will be handled by your Oppo.  Spearit Sound (I have no connection) has a demo for sale at $1595. 
http://www.spearitsound.com/mccormack/map1.asp

Gary

Woolz

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:38 pm »
I too fully agree with George.  The preamp is extremely important for high quality music reproduction.

Steve

divisionbell77

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:41 pm »
But there lies the problem, I do not find the Denon to be up to snuff for movies, either.  It is good, but not good enough for what I expect.  I want to upgrade both music and movie sound, not just one or the other.

An external amp will be ordered before the preamp, and this could bring the home theater side of the Denon up to snuff, however I am guessing it will not.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:50 pm »
But there lies the problem, I do not find the Denon to be up to snuff for movies, either.  It is good, but not good enough for what I expect.  I want to upgrade both music and movie sound, not just one or the other.

An external amp will be ordered before the preamp, and this could bring the home theater side of the Denon up to snuff, however I am guessing it will not.

Hmmm...what don't you find up to snuff?

I use a 3808 (as do a few of my friends with very nice HT's) in my HT with five SongTowers and think it performs quite well.  While I am not as picky about the performance of my HT as my 2 channel setup, I still wanted to have a very pleasurable experience and the Denon delivers.

Now, I do use external amplification to drive the SongTowers, so I am not using the internal amps of the Denon.  Personally, I think the weakest part of pretty much all mid-level AVR's is the amplification.  With relatively cheap amplification options out there (ATI, Emotiva, Parasound, Rotel, etc...), I strongly urge you to try an external amp before changing out the 3808.

George

prpixel

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:55 pm »
There's no issue with Canadian Custom when shipping to Anthem.  All product gets shipped to Buffalo, NY.  Then Anthem puts it on it's own truck and drives it across the border.  The return trip is the same, but in reverse.  I've shipped from NJ on Monday and had my unit back on Friday.  Pierro and Nick at Anthem Tech Support are a pleasure to deal with.  I've had many a long conversation with them and they've always gone the extra mile.  In fact, there support is on par with Jim's.

I've owned the AVM2, AVM20 and AVM20-HD.  I currently own a D2 and AVM50v.  I would caution against the upgrade root because you will loose resale value.  I would pick up a used D2 instead.  While a used D2 is going for about $1000 more, you get the excellent broadcast quality video board/scaler and HDMI switching. 

Woolz

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:57 pm »
That is a good move.  Perhaps a good three channel amp for the front and center.  This frees the Denon from having to produce those channels and sound better on the rears.  Or if you choose a stereo amp the Denon will have an easier job supplying the center.  I think you will be surprised at the improvement.  I have done this with a couple of receivers (Onkyo and Outlaw) to great benefit.  The decoding parts of these receivers is better than the amps. And the preamp sections compared to something like an AVA preamp don't cut it for music.

divisionbell77

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:00 pm »
Hmmm...what don't you find up to snuff?

I use a 3808 (as do a few of my friends with very nice HT's) in my HT with five SongTowers and think it performs quite well.  While I am not as picky about the performance of my HT as my 2 channel setup, I still wanted to have a very pleasurable experience and the Denon delivers.

Now, I do use external amplification to drive the SongTowers, so I am not using the internal amps of the Denon.  Personally, I think the weakest part of pretty much all mid-level AVR's is the amplification.  With relatively cheap amplification options out there (ATI, Emotiva, Parasound, Rotel, etc...), I strongly urge you to try an external amp before changing out the 3808.

George

What external amps are you using?

I actually had won an ATI 1806 off of ebay for $560.  Of course, after winning it that cheap, the seller found out that it is 'not working anymore' and refunded me my money, which in reality means for $560 he will just keep it an use it.

My biggest gripe is center channel voice with the Denon.  Many times it becomes too low for me with music/sound effects drowning out spoken word, and I have to turn the volume up to hear what is being said, down when large explosions start happens, etc.

Again, before replacing the Denon, I will be ordering an external amp, and I do not mind buying used.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:00 pm »
What external amps are you using?

I actually had won an ATI 1806 off of ebay for $560.  Of course, after winning it that cheap, the seller found out that it is 'not working anymore' and refunded me my money, which in reality means for $560 he will just keep it an use it.

ATI 1506

divisionbell77

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:04 pm »
You might want to consider the McCormack Audio MAP-1.  This is a very nice multi-channel pre amp with no processing capability, which you do not need, since the decoding will be handled by your Oppo.  Spearit Sound (I have no connection) has a demo for sale at $1595. 
http://www.spearitsound.com/mccormack/map1.asp

Gary

Damn, I really like this except for one thing: Directv HD DVR surround sound.  i did not realize someone made a multi-channel pre.

mclsound

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:30 pm »
hi
I have used the Anthem AVM 30,D1,D2,Classe SSP-600 and currently use the Krell HTS 7.1(ver 3.4) and will say that you cant go wrong with any of these(although the Krell has a nice bottem end in direct pre).I to have tried several preamps(Bryston BP-25,VAC Auricle,Audio Research reference 2MK2,Mcintosh C-46) and have settled on the Krell for now,with the HD wars going on any new processor is money lost.We actully put the D2 head to head with the AR MK2  and preferred(D2) its flexability,because in HT bypass the tubes are on(mk2).We thought the EQ on the C-46 was a joke(a pair of tone controls were just as good).The all in one box is hard to find but the Krell's are cheap right now and worth even $2000.Anthem does have a good product but found at HUGE SPL's in 2ch,you can hear the digital realm alot.Classe is also nice.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:36 pm »
ATI 1506

They keeping up okay?  I'm considering a pair of 1504's.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:52 pm »
They keeping up okay?  I'm considering a pair of 1504's.

Yep.

George