SE18

mitcho

SE18
« on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:33 am »
Looking at the SE18.   Can it be used as a preamp?  Does it have an output on the back?

thanks

mjf2u

Re: SE18
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2011, 04:35 am »
There are one "phono" in, two "lines" in and another pair of RCAs next these marked "Rec".
Three speaker terminals per channel. Center ground and then choose either the 4 or 8 ohm "hot".

Mike

Johng316

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:25 pm »
SE 18 is an integrated amp, so not sure if it has pre-outs.  Hmmm....  Let me see if I can find anything.

EDIT:  After looking at the specs (can't find a pic of the back), there are no pre-outs listed.  Maybe someone here who has one can illuminate.

The ACA 2B is a tube pre-amplifier.  Maybe that would serve your needs better if you want a pre-amp?

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm »
Sounds like its moddin' time!!! It probably wouldn't be too hard to insert a preout after the volume control internally in the unit. :icon_lol:

mjf2u

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:59 am »
I would be happy just to discover one or two more SE-18 owners out there. Like to find out what tubes they are using.

cacophony

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:47 pm »
SE18 owner here!  I ran with the stock EH tubes for a long time, and have only recently started rolling.

Tried the Winged C el34s for the power stage -- worked well for a while and then two of them arc'd badly, so I'm back to EH there.  Not sure if this was due to the tubes or some other issue with the amp.

Using JAN GE 6072A for the phono stage -- wow!  So much better than stock.  Highly recommend them.

Anyone else out there using this amp?  I currently have it driving a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto SMARTs set up as LR in a large room -- it's doing okay -- I rarely have to turn up the volume beyond let's say 2 or 3 on a 10 scale -- but I'm definitely searching for other amps to audition.