Help with Apple remote

sruffle

Help with Apple remote
« on: 25 Oct 2018, 02:19 am »
I love the Tortuga preamp but tend to hit a wrong button every once in a while  and all hell breaks loose.  I now have a brick on my hands instead of a preamp.   While a bit drowsy, I clicked a couple buttons  and have lost all sound. 

I have an earlier model where there is only one number showing in the display.  My assumption is that I screwed up the impedance setting.  Despite reading the instructions and trying for a while,  I can't get this to work.  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and get sound back?  Is there a way to do a complete reset?

I love the preamp but would gladly pay $100 or $150 to get rid of the Apple remote and not have to worry about completely screwing it up by hitting a wrong button.     Any comments are much appreciated.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Help with Apple remote
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2018, 02:28 pm »
I love the Tortuga preamp but tend to hit a wrong button every once in a while  and all hell breaks loose.  I now have a brick on my hands instead of a preamp.   While a bit drowsy, I clicked a couple buttons  and have lost all sound. 

I have an earlier model where there is only one number showing in the display.  My assumption is that I screwed up the impedance setting.  Despite reading the instructions and trying for a while,  I can't get this to work.  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and get sound back?  Is there a way to do a complete reset?

I love the preamp but would gladly pay $100 or $150 to get rid of the Apple remote and not have to worry about completely screwing it up by hitting a wrong button.     Any comments are much appreciated.

Yeah, trying to navigate the  controls with a single display module can be challenging. I ultimately made the decision to keep the remote simple and go with an interactive menu driven OLED display used by the newer V25 model preamp board rather than go with a more complex customized remote. The problem with remotes is they're frozen in time and can't evolve once they're designed.  A menu driven display with a simple remote is way more flexible and updating can evolve the controls with firmware updates to the preamp.

Back to solving your problem.

I will skip trying to walk you through the controls since that's documented online and if you've tried it my repeating it here isn't likely to change the outcome (but if the control sequence is followed exactly it will work).

If you're able to perform firmware updates on your presumably V2 board I could generate a custom firmware revision (no cost) that locks the impedance setting in at setting #1/20k and makes it impossible to accidentally change it going forward. Once uploaded you should be good to go since 99% of the time when someone does something and gets no output it's because they inadvertently changed the impedance setting. 

Another path is to upgrade to the V25 with OLED display which most people have found to be waaaaay easier to navigate and get lost in.

Last but not least, ship us your preamp and I will clear the problem and if you like also lock out the impedance adjustment feature so this can't happen again.

sruffle

Re: Help with Apple remote
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2018, 07:00 pm »
Success!   After a night of rest and going thought the instructions again, I was able to lock in on an impedance setting of 20.  I somehow also screwed up the balance but adjusted it and now seem to have equal volume from both speakers. 

Morten,  many thanks for your offer of help.  I do have two questions:

1). If you don't have the dual display, is there an instruction to reset the balance (Version 2.2)?
2). Have you had much feedback on the V25 upgrade from an LD3v2?   I saw that option and am considering sending my unit in for the upgrade.

Thanks again for a great product.