Re: Salk Sound Reëstablishes Legendary Loudspeaker Brands
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2012, 12:53 am »
Don't forget to post some pics from the Show!  :thumb:

Have fun!

jd3

« Reply #21 on: 4 Oct 2012, 12:15 pm »
Super   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I've been a Fried fanboy since the 70's when my first listen of the Model H (LS3/5a "satellite" clones with the dual woofer "coffin") was my 21st high-end audio epiphany.  It struck me dumb and literally took months for me to digest what I heard (and why I liked it).  Within a couple of years as a starving college kid I'd bought a pair of those satellites (Model B, then upgraded to B2), and after graduation followed by DIYing the woofers in separate "monitor" cabinets (Model M).  Those were monsters (114 dB at 17 Hz), too much for any home I owned but sounded glorious in a 20,000 cu. ft. chapel.

Since then I've owned two more pair (still own the Model A, a two way floorstander) and my main rig are mass loaded transmission lines.  BTW Bud (Irving M. Fried) never liked building his own speakers, so this is a perfect match, abet 40 years too late for Bud.

I'll be interested to see what Jim comes up with as frankly IMO Salk speakers come across as HT/hi-fi speakers compared to the natural, musical Fried sound.

Jim mentioned this upcoming affiliation to me at AKFest, and I responded that the thing that really sold me originally on SongTowers was their 'kinship' in sound to the Fried's I'd owned in the past.  I owned B2's and regretted selling them.  Every speaker I owned after that never sounded 'right' until I heard the ST's.  I'd disagree with you about the sound of Jim's speakers...I think they are natural and musical just like Fried's.  Good luck on the new venture, and I wish I could make RMAF to hear them.  Hmm...maybe I'll have to get a pair of these for another room!

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 4 Oct 2012, 01:31 pm »
Don't forget to post some pics from the Show!  :thumb:

Have fun!

Oh, no worries about that. :D

pardales

« Reply #23 on: 4 Oct 2012, 02:20 pm »
I owned a pair of FRIED speakers back in the late 80's - can't remember the model but it was a small floor stander. Loved em. I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

ratso

« Reply #24 on: 4 Oct 2012, 07:22 pm »
very cool, interesting press release btw. i knew what fried speakers were, but never realized what an innovator he was before. yep, very cool.

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:10 pm »
So who's coming to visit us next weekend?

glangford

« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2012, 04:34 pm »
Too far for me.  I'll actually be in Tampa just before the Audioholics event.   I coiuld extend a day or so and go by there.

tdangelo

« Reply #27 on: 5 Oct 2012, 07:46 pm »
I look forward to hearing these  :D

tony

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct 2012, 07:59 pm »
I look forward to hearing these  :D

tony

Hey Tony, can't wait to see again!

tdangelo

« Reply #29 on: 5 Oct 2012, 08:27 pm »
Hey Tony, can't wait to see again!
Hi Pete, I look forward to seeing you too.  We haven't been to RMAF since 07.  I was wore out then after 3 days and now the show is much bigger..  :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2012, 04:41 pm »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:29 pm »
10 finish/veneer combos

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:32 pm »
$2500?   :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:39 pm »
$2500?   :o

No.  $2995 Retail.  NO extra charge for any of the 10 finishes.  Right now the outriggers will only be black.  They blend in with the driver cones and surrounds so black was the best choice.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #35 on: 6 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm »
How "Fried" are these?  I've never seen a MTM Fried or one that the TL didn't exit in the front.

What specifically makes them "Fried" (since Bud is dead)?

sts9fan

« Reply #36 on: 6 Oct 2012, 11:01 pm »
The newer line had a MTM but the TL did terminate in the front.
I was hoping for one of the multiple TL designs.

Nuance

« Reply #37 on: 6 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm »
How "Fried" are these?  I've never seen a MTM Fried or one that the TL didn't exit in the front.

What specifically makes them "Fried" (since Bud is dead)?

The special Fried version of the tweeter, a TL design and a series crossover, which means all the drivers are connected to one circuit instead of independent ones.  Bud's main focus was using high quality drivers from all over the world, and that tradition is being upheld with these speakers.  Come and hear them this weekend and let us know what you think.  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #38 on: 7 Oct 2012, 12:35 am »
The newer line had a MTM but the TL did terminate in the front.
I was hoping for one of the multiple TL designs.

I'm sure we could have placed the terminus on the front, but that's not considered best practice for the same reason it's not considered best practice to place a port in the front on bass reflex designs.  Both ports and transmission lines produce upper harmonics that will be suppressed with rear placement, but might be heard with front placement.  Rear placement can cause problems if the speakers are placed close to a rear wall, but this is much less of an issue (and pretty much a non-issue) with a TL terminus than it is with a traditional port, which has a narrow peak that can be accentuated by boundary reinforcement. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 7 Oct 2012, 06:30 am »
My understanding is that Dennis Murphy does the crossover design for Salk, but who will be handling the acoustic design?

Will Salk be copying Bud Fried's designs exactly, or making variations based on his basic concepts?

It is my feeling that bass performance in a speaker is something that most designers are not able to get right, and Irving Fried (and Peter Snell) were two of the very few who did. In fact, to my ears, the voicing of Fried speakers from around 400Hz and down was outstanding, even in his resistive port designs, but the mids and highs were just good.