parts: WBT NextGen, Vampire CM2F/CB and toggle switch

Al Garay

Hi John,

I noticed the NOH has Vampire female RCA CM2F/CB as opposed to the WBTs. Did you notice a difference? Have you tried the new WBT NextGen female RCAs?  I'm making plans for my 6 channel amplifier(s), 3-channels in 2 chassis for my active system. And I know you use high quality components. I'm trying to choose between the new WBT NextGen about $46.96/pr versus the CM2F/OFC from PartsConnexion for $24/pr.

Also, which toggle switch do you like or used in the TX102? This will be in the front panel to turn the power on/off. I'm still unclear about the types of toggle switches - SPST, DPDT.... I read that Tocos from Japan are very good.

thanks,

Al

PS. I can't wait to hear your impressive (major understatement) new speakers. That ought to work well for aerobics. :)

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2005, 02:10 pm »
check out the "RCA-805FG" on www.vt4c.com.

Mac told me about them and I ordered through them.  Good service, answered questions and shipped quickly.  

I think these plugs are as good as any other I've tried.  I haven't tried the Nextgens but I wouldn't pay that much money for something that can't possibly be that much better.  The ones on vt4c are pure copper with teflon dielectric, which is pretty close to as good as it gets.

I imagine Vampires are good as well.  They make quality stuff.  I wrote to them asking about their "vampire continous casting" asking whether it was truely Ohno Continuous Casting and they confirmed it was.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:00 pm »
Hello!

Thanks Josh for the link to that site. Lots of good stuff there and those rca's do look really decent.

I used to use the old topline wbt's and after a few customers prodding me to do the top of the line cm2F Vampires I went that way. I honestly don't think they sound any different but the Vamps are well made and the folks at Sound Connections are really great to deal with. I had a couple of bouts of very long delivery delays from WBT just before I switches so that was a factor on the practical side.

I have heard good reports of the nextgen plugs but have not had time to use those yet here. One of these days.....

The toggle switches are made by C&K (7000 series) and are decent. I started using these a long time back (after seeing them used in a high end unit from a different manufacturer) and have always had good success with them.

For a power switch toggle I would not get too woried about sourcing an exotic toggle switch from far away. Digikey or mouser should have something that'll work just fine for you. If it takes some power then the C&K mentioned above will not be the best unit as they are kinda made for smallish currents - great for signal path switching.

DPDT is double pole double throw
SPST is single pole single throw etc.......

For a power switch any decent toggle with on-none-on config will work front. If you have more than one pole you can parralel up the wiring for fun.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks!

John

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:00 pm »
Hi Josh,

Mac told me about them as well. I'm being pulled by the dark side of the force telling me that spending more for WBT or Vampire is a good thing. There are many who prefer the sound of Cardas despite the fact it has brass as a base material.  One factor leading me towards Vampire OFC is that all my ICs are Vampire CCC. I was even thinking of using CCC for the input signal to have good matching.

Back to CMC, did you also go with their binding posts and solid silver teflon hook up wire?

Al

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:08 pm »
Nelson of SonoCable uses those CMC RCA plugs as well and says they are quite a bit better than regular old gold plated brass based RCA plugs.

They really should be since brass and gold are the greatest conductors...

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:11 pm »
Al,

Keep the brass out of your connections as much as you possibly can.

Why don't you go for the Silver NextGen's?... :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: Al Garay
Back to CMC, did you also go with their binding posts and solid silver teflon hook up wire?

Al

No, I didn't get their bind posts, although I was tempted.  I have some Cardas patented binding posts (way cool!) from a diyaudio group buy still to use.  Plus I am on a total Neutrik kick right now, I just love the Speakon and Powercon connectors.

goskers

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:50 pm »
That's real funny about  vt4c as I was the one who told Mac about it :)  I really just stumbled onto the site though.  Great products and the owner is very quick with responses.

The CMC rca's are great.  I am using some dead soft silver from Hoover and Strong from an old diy cable recipe with teflon tubing from HK for my signal wiring.  I am also going to try the speakon connectors!  They seem to be well made.

Al Garay

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2005, 03:59 pm »
Thanks for the input. I'm going to order some of the CMC RCAs and binding posts as well as their solid silver wire  with teflon tubing, reminds me of the one John used for signal wire.

John, are you now using Vampire's CCC magnet wire for your signal wire?
Thanks for the advice on the toggle switch.

Al

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2005, 05:57 pm »
Quote from: goskers
That's real funny about  vt4c as I was the one who told Mac about it :)  I really just stumbled onto the site though.  Great products and the owner is very quick with responses.

The CMC rca's are great.  I am using some dead soft silver from Hoover and Strong from an old diy cable recipe with teflon tubing from HK for my signal wiring.  I am also going to try the speakon connectors!  They seem to be well made.

Ok, then we should all thank you then.  Mac just communicated it to me.  I ordered the CMC RCAs and really like them.  I also ordered some of hte Yarbo copper RCA plugs.  Really nice plugs for very reasonable $$.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2005, 05:59 pm »
Another thing. I was thinking of ordering some  Vampire's CCC magnet wire for hookup wire and ICs.   What gauge do you think is best?  18awg or thinner?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2005, 03:00 am »
Hello!

I've been using the 26 Gauge OCC wire for builds on copper tx102 pre-amps for some time with good results. The stuff I had here was from Denis at Chimera labs. He takes that basic wire and cryo freezes it and sells on nice large diam spools. His prices are very reasonable given the handling and costs involved and he always shipped right away on orders I have placed.

For silver tx102 pre-amps I used silver wire of a similar gauge.

Thanks!

John