For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

jules

Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #320 on: 2 Jun 2019, 01:47 am »
It appears that the shells were for Propaganda.  The shells are of Chinese Origin.

"Wu says unlike regular shells, which are designed to shatter into killing fragments, propaganda shells are ideal for making knives because they are made of high-grade steel, designed to split neatly open and demoralise the opponent."
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/kincheng/shopping/maestro-wu-bombshell-steel-knives/a/poi-sho/1358783/1327844

I was scratching my head wondering why it would be demoralizing for a shell to split open but, perhaps obviously, the idea is that when they open, they spread a batch of leaflets. It also seems that they don't so much "split" as blow open via a small fused secondary charge. Hmm, doesn't help with the type of steel does it.

http://www.psywarrior.com/PropArtilleryShell.html

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #321 on: 2 Jun 2019, 03:26 am »
I was scratching my head wondering why it would be demoralizing for a shell to split open but, perhaps obviously, the idea is that when they open, they spread a batch of leaflets. It also seems that they don't so much "split" as blow open via a small fused secondary charge. Hmm, doesn't help with the type of steel does it.

I am not sure..  it probably is a harder casing, meant to just split, verses shatter into pieces.  Your guess is good as any. I was never an explosive expert.. 
 :popcorn:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #322 on: 2 Jun 2019, 04:10 am »

I belive they might have been full or leaflets or propaganda?
Alan

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #323 on: 3 Jun 2019, 09:35 pm »
Old truck and car springs are good.
They are made of 5160 spring steel.
Some Smith's study and made knives from them and do a very good job. But, that is the trick.  It's not that any one high carbon steel is the best.  Its about being the student of one kind of steel, and mastering that kind.. that is what makes a great smith.. I studied in Japan for 2 years, studied metallurgy for one year.and I have failed a thousand times.  And I've stuck with 01 tool steel and ball bearing steel. I like them both. But, again,  I have mastered them.  01 tool steel is brilliant,  once you know what you are doing..
(I'll stop rabbling now..)

If you get some old truck springs,  they are great to make knives out of..just saying..

V...

Folsom

« Reply #324 on: 3 Jun 2019, 09:45 pm »
I think the old Ruana knives were made from leaf springs. They're sought after more than the new ones by the son who is still making knives.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #325 on: 3 Jun 2019, 10:07 pm »
Old truck and car springs are good.
They are made of 5160 spring steel.
Some Smith's study and made knives from them and do a very good job. But, that is the trick.  It's not that any one high carbon steel is the best.  Its about being the student of one kind of steel, and mastering that kind.. that is what makes a great smith.. I studied in Japan for 2 years, studied metallurgy for one year.and I have failed a thousand times.  And I've stuck with 01 tool steel and ball bearing steel. I like them both. But, again,  I have mastered them.  01 tool steel is brilliant,  once you know what you are doing..
(I'll stop rabbling now..)

If you get some old truck springs,  they are great to make knives out of..just saying..

V...

Keep your eyes peeled for news stories wrt a rash of old truck thievery.... :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #326 on: 3 Jun 2019, 11:13 pm »
Personally, I'd love to hear more ramblings about the craft.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #327 on: 3 Jun 2019, 11:29 pm »
I think the old Ruana knives were made from leaf springs. They're sought after more than the new ones by the son who is still making knives.

5160 spring steel was a big hit for years. And its still a good steel. It can be made very tough..  and some are doing very well forging it.   Ruan.. has a history..  longer than mine..

Knife makers seem to peak at a point In there lives.  Then fade away, its hard to hand down the legacy and experience..because the newer generations might be interested in something that has more reward financially..
some people get a special,  hand crafted knife, made by a master..  and its handed down.  Thru generations..
To me, it's a good thing..

V..

jules

« Reply #328 on: 4 Jun 2019, 09:32 am »
Knife makers seem to peak at a point In there lives.  Then fade away, its hard to hand down the legacy ...

V..

Interesting, any thoughts on why that might be the case? It seems to suggest subtle judgement or skill is lost at some point ... ?

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #329 on: 5 Jun 2019, 04:48 am »
Interesting, any thoughts on why that might be the case? It seems to suggest subtle judgement or skill is lost at some point ... ?

Well, Smith's peak,  then go as far as they can with there skills.. a good Smith doesn't have many years of high quality production after they peak.  Maybe like other artist, painters or sculptors..  it's part of the way things seem to be in life. They usually end up starving artist.

Some try to go into large production. Making mediocre products in mass quantities.  They look for great financial gain.. 

V..

jules

« Reply #330 on: 5 Jun 2019, 06:44 am »
Tricky, so as with say, painting [art], it's an individual skill and not something that, even a small support team, is going to produce at the same standard as the "master".

Sort of explains why a rather expensive and apparently well made damascus blade I bought some time ago is a disappointment where a another japanese knife I bought from a little known source is magnificent.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #331 on: 22 May 2020, 12:50 am »
"Bump"

So I've expanded my "collection", from one knives, to two!  :lol:

I've had the big one three years, the baby came via the stork (USPS) today.

Makoto White #2 Kuro Damascus Santoku 170mm (right)
Anryu Kurouchi White #2 Damascus Petty 75mm (left)

[/quote]

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #332 on: 10 Jul 2020, 02:22 pm »
Shun doesn't get a lot of love among collectors of Japanese knives... too commercial, overpriced, etc.  And I admit, I like the look of my more rustic knives, but the truth is I reach for a Shun utility quite a bit.  The VG10 steel isn't the latest and greatest, but they do it well and it holds it's edge for a good while.
I was looking for a knife for my daughter, so I looked on ebay at Shuns, to find a guy that seems to resell lots of them with broken tips or chipped edges. 

Got a deal, spent 10 minutes reforming the tip, another 15-20 to reset the edge and sharpen, and it's better than new. 

Dormouse99

« Reply #333 on: 11 Jul 2020, 01:12 pm »
Anyone try one of these Vietnamese leaf spring knives? I’m tempted to give it a shot given the cost compared with Japanese knives.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/dalespgy21.html

https://youtu.be/DcHewz0LJlU

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #334 on: 11 Jul 2020, 01:39 pm »
Bob in St. Louis pointed those out to me a month or two ago, as he had a little cash burning a hole in his pocket.  He ended up spending a bit more and buying Japanese.  They look interesting, nice handles, and spring steel makes a decent enough knife.  But I'd bet they are highly variable compared to their more expensive Japanese competition. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #335 on: 11 Jul 2020, 11:44 pm »
Yip, I was very close. Had my finger hovering over the [add to cart] button.
Ended up doing more window shopping and stuck with the Japanese. But yea.... I'm intrigued.
Ultimately, I stuck with the "art and romance" of the Jap style. The "hack it with a sledgehammer" Vietnam thing kinda turned me off a bit.
I tend to be drawn to folks that have a passion for what they do, so that was my guiding light.

Although, I only used it once, I'm VERY happy with my choice.

EDIT: There's a video on the CKTG page that shows how they make the knives. It's pretty barbaric compared to the Jap style. For what it's worth....

Dormouse99

« Reply #336 on: 12 Jul 2020, 03:35 am »
What did you end up getting?

I'm loving my Masakage Koishi gyuto.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #337 on: 12 Jul 2020, 02:04 pm »
What did you end up getting?

I'm loving my Masakage Koishi gyuto.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ankusupe75.html

Dormouse99

« Reply #338 on: 12 Jul 2020, 10:55 pm »
Anryu is an excellent artisan. Fantastic knives!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #339 on: 13 Jul 2020, 09:29 am »
I expect it will serve you well. :thumb: