For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #260 on: 2 Aug 2017, 10:15 pm »
I find that hard to believe.  What is the make and model?
Believe. It's packed up somewhere around here. I'm not going to go looking for it for you.

Doc

srb

« Reply #261 on: 2 Aug 2017, 10:45 pm »
Believe. It's packed up somewhere around here. I'm not going to go looking for it for you.

Starrett's most accurate square, the Master Precision Square is accurate to .0001".  If yours is 1000 times more accurate it really belongs in the Guinness Book of World Records.  ;)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #262 on: 2 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm »
Are there any nice high carbon knives made today? Those hold an edge for a surprising amount of time, but they were generally made thin in the past so there use was more limited as they are not as rigid. Also you have to be careful because they can develop rust and they don't look so pretty.
Folsom,
Many/most of the modern Japanese knives utilize a high carbon steel.  The core of the one that Bob and I just bought has a carbon content over 1% and is made by Hitachi Corp.  This particular knife has soft damascus outer layers hand forged around the high carbon core.  It's not uncommon for some variations of this core steel to have a hardness in the 64-65 range.  In a standard forged knife, this would make for a blade that was too brittle, but layered in between softer steel, you can have the edge that takes a screaming edge, holds it, is easy to sharpen, and still is fit for daily work.  High Rockwell doesn't always mean hard to sharpen.  Most of these knives are easier than the stainless options (including Kabar).

Now, I do carry a carbon knife similar to your description, a 50+ year old Case.  I like it because I can sharpen it better than the newer stainless. It's forgiving, but it need sharpening often.  But comparing it to the Japanese steels is like comparing our stereos to a Bose Wave radio.   
Your final observation is absolutely correct.  You've got to take care of this type steel.  Can't cut onions and leave it to clean up after dinner.  Can't put it in the sink.  But those of us that choose these knives are in the habit of rinse and dry immediately after using.  But there are steels for those that need corrosion resistant.  Read up on Hap-40 steels. 

Devil Doc

« Reply #263 on: 2 Aug 2017, 10:53 pm »
Well, I've got a piece of paper, somewhere that says -0.000002. I think I got through Woodsmith, a publication for the hobbyist many years ago.

Doc

srb

« Reply #264 on: 2 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm »
Well, I've got a piece of paper, somewhere that says -0.0000002. I think I got through Woodsmith, a publication for the hobbyist many years ago.

I know you were just trying to make some point, but it seemed so incredulous as I've never seen or heard of any type of commercially available measuring tool with that kind of accuracy.  Maybe something in a laboratory or related to the Hadron Collider .....

That's all.  Sorry for veering off track.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #265 on: 2 Aug 2017, 11:24 pm »
Starrett's most accurate square, the Master Precision Square is accurate to .0001".  If yours is 1000 times more accurate it really belongs in the Guinness Book of World Records.  ;)

Well, I've got a piece of paper, somewhere that says -0.000002. I think I got through Woodsmith, a publication for the hobbyist many years ago.
Doc

I'm assuming this is matter of working in different units and perhaps a flubbed decimal place... 0.0001" is 2.54 microns, or 0.00000254m

Devil Doc

« Reply #266 on: 2 Aug 2017, 11:40 pm »
I'm no math wiz. In fact I suck at it. I wouldn't know a denominator from a algebraic phrase.

Doc

srb

« Reply #267 on: 2 Aug 2017, 11:59 pm »
I'm assuming this is matter of working in different units and perhaps a flubbed decimal place... 0.0001" is 2.54 microns, or 0.00000254m

I was automatically (and perhaps wrongly) assuming that decimal inches were being referenced as U.S. woodworkers traditionally use the inch scale.

BTW, I have a stereo amplifier that outputs 100,000 mW per channel into an 8Ω load !   ;)

S Clark

« Reply #268 on: 3 Aug 2017, 08:41 pm »
:D :lol:

Just noticed this forum, I have been doing a lot of writing on the audio part, but I am an avid knife fan, I have Global, Shun, Kyocera, MAc, Caphalon Katana, and a Deba Hocho knife from the www.JapanWoodworker.com, which is my absolute favorite for about $30 bucks, it cuts better than all of my others and the sharpness is super!! I love the Mac sharpness also.

:thumb:  Bill
I have a couple of their knives, the first Japanese knives I bought. For $30 buck, you can get some amazing steel.

But I just got my damascus Santoku, and like Bob in St. Louis, I'm ecstatic over the quality/price ratio.  The blade is the work of a true master smith, and the fit and finish is better than some I've paid a lot more for. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #269 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:07 pm »
Scott,

I am an idiot when it comes to knife.

Please educate me as to what use is for the Santoku?

Thanks,

Hugh

S Clark

« Reply #270 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:42 pm »
Scott,

I am an idiot when it comes to knife.

Please educate me as to what use is for the Santoku?

Thanks,

Hugh
Hugh,
I'd say it's kind of a jack of all trades kitchen knife.  Not as big as a full chef knife, but quicker and more nimble.  It's best suited to slicing/dicing vegetables, and prepping fish and chicken.  The shape lends itself to push and pull cuts, but will still chop light stuff- doesn't have the weight of a cleaver.  I was slicing some garden tomatoes earlier, and like most late tomatoes, they had blemishes that needed to be cut out.  Instead of reaching for a paring knife, the Santoku could easily reach into it to remove the bad spots.  A full chef knife is too big to easily do that kind of detail work.
Scott

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #271 on: 3 Aug 2017, 10:54 pm »
Hugh,
I'd say it's kind of a jack of all trades kitchen knife.  Not as big as a full chef knife, but quicker and more nimble.  It's best suited to slicing/dicing vegetables, and prepping fish and chicken.  The shape lends itself to push and pull cuts, but will still chop light stuff- doesn't have the weight of a cleaver.  I was slicing some garden tomatoes earlier, and like most late tomatoes, they had blemishes that needed to be cut out.  Instead of reaching for a paring knife, the Santoku could easily reach into it to remove the bad spots.  A full chef knife is too big to easily do that kind of detail work.
Scott

Thank YOU Scott.

My knowledge about knives is about as good as a little kid, figuratively speaking. :)
When my wife found out how much our 2 boys paid for their knives, she almost fell out of the chair and she asked me why so expensive and my answer to her is how the heck do I know. ;)
Our youngest son went to Japan on business and he brought home 2 knives and they look pretty decent but I have no idea how much those are.

Thanks again Scott,

Hugh

S Clark

« Reply #272 on: 3 Aug 2017, 11:10 pm »

When my wife found out how much our 2 boys paid for their knives, she almost fell out of the chair and she asked me why so expensive....
My wife ask the same question, usually about phono cartridges.   :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #273 on: 4 Aug 2017, 12:51 am »
My wife ask the same question, usually about phono cartridges.   :thumb:

I think I am a little 'better' than you when it comes to audio. :lol:

Her first and last question re cost to me got this much as answer...You don't want to know.  :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #274 on: 4 Aug 2017, 12:54 am »
"Check it out Babe; I sent a donation to this audio guy's charity and he sent me free tubes!"

C'mon guys, it's easy math.  8)

S Clark

« Reply #275 on: 4 Aug 2017, 01:46 am »
"Check it out Babe; I sent a donation to this audio guy's charity and he sent me free tubes!"

Learn at the feet of the master!  :bowdown:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #276 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:09 am »

This sounded familiar. ;)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #277 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:11 am »
Scott,

If I may ask, where did you get that Damascus Santoku and how much?

Thanks,

Hugh

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #278 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:14 am »
Scott,

If I may ask, where did you get that Damascus Santoku and how much?

Thanks,

Hugh
Scott sent me this link.
They're $80, but are currently sold out.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/makudawh2sa.html

S Clark

« Reply #279 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:57 am »
I've sent an email to ChefKnivesToGo asking if they expect any more in the near future.

There are some decent knives with excellent steel at Japan Woodworker.  I've used this inexpensive knife for several years and gotten good service from it. https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/7-1-2-satsuma-knife-tosagata?via=58923198617070231a000047%2C5893b7ac617070454900f966%2C5894aee06170706c3c038f6f
It is rustic, blade heavy, and not the greatest fit, but the steel is superb. I think I gave $27 for it. 
The damascus knife we have been discussing in another level in refinement, and is a quality professional tool.