For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

Folsom

Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #240 on: 1 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm »
Pretty knife, but totally unnecessary. Geez, all you're cutting is vegetables and meat. It doesn't take artwork, or the money to buy it. You need to decide weather you're buying a conversation piece or a tool. If you're buying the former, spend what you want. If all you need is a tool, then $150 or so will do ya.

Doc

if I lived to be solely utilitarian I wouldn't even need to be human.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #241 on: 1 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm »
Doc, you've made this point before.  Japanese knives are not for you.  OK. Stick with your Chicago Cutlery or Cutco's. 
I use a knife more than a screwdriver, and I stil don't buy cheap screwdrivers. 

S Clark

« Reply #242 on: 1 Aug 2017, 11:00 pm »
if I lived to be solely utilitarian I wouldn't even need to be human.
Nicely stated. A good knife is a joy to use.  Joy is why life is worth living. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #243 on: 2 Aug 2017, 12:03 am »
Pretty knife, but totally unnecessary. Geez, all you're cutting is vegetables and meat. It doesn't take artwork, or the money to buy it. You need to decide weather you're buying a conversation piece or a tool. If you're buying the former, spend what you want. If all you need is a tool, then $150 or so will do ya.

Doc
Cool!!!  :thumb:
Because with the budget you've allocated, I'm just barely shy of being able to buy two of these!
$80 shipped seemed like a great price for a good looking tool that is also a great conversation piece.
If you're interested in one, I'll let you know when they have another batch and you can get yourself a couple.
... that is... assuming you want a tool, and not a conversation piece.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #244 on: 2 Aug 2017, 12:04 am »
Doc, you've made this point before.  Japanese knives are not for you.  OK. Stick with your Chicago Cutlery or Cutco's. 
I use a knife more than a screwdriver, and I stil don't buy cheap screwdrivers.
When it comes to pretentiousness, no one beats me. I buy incredibly expensive tools, but not knives. It's just not necessary. There's no better survival knife that a K-Bar. You can stick an inch into a tree and sit on it with out breaking. I think it cost less than a $100. Hell, you can hammer nails with it. There is no reason to spend more, unless you want to, of course,  on a kitchen knife. I'll continue making that point as long as people recommend knives that cost an arm and a leg. It's not like it's audio equipment.

Doc

SoCalWJS

« Reply #245 on: 2 Aug 2017, 12:08 am »
When it comes to pretentiousness, no one beats me. I buy incredibly expensive tools, but not knives. It's just not necessary. There's no better survival knife that a K-Bar. You can stick an inch into a tree and sit on it with out breaking. I think it cost less than a $100. Hell, you can hammer nails with it. There is no reason to spend more, unless you want to, of course,  on a kitchen knife. I'll continue making that point as long as people recommend knives that cost an arm and a leg. It's not like it's audio equipment.

Doc
I have a K-Bar. Great knife. I wouldn't prep dinner with it though....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #246 on: 2 Aug 2017, 12:12 am »
I have a K-Bar. Great knife. I wouldn't prep dinner with it though....
Right... I own a machete, but it's not in the top ten list of knives I'd shave my face with. But yea, it could do it, if need be.
There is no perfect knife for all situations. 
I also own a half dozen different hammers. They can all pound a nail. Some would be...  ohhh... slightly "inconvenient" to use for driving nails.

S Clark

« Reply #247 on: 2 Aug 2017, 02:00 am »
There's no better survival knife that a K-Bar. You can stick an inch into a tree and sit on it with out breaking. I think it cost less than a $100. Hell, you can hammer nails with it. There is no reason to spend more, unless you want to, of course,  on a kitchen knife. I'll continue making that point as long as people recommend knives that cost an arm and a leg. It's not like it's audio equipment. 

Doc
You know,Doc, this is a great thread for the Culinary Circle, so let's just say that I disagree and will suggest to others not to take your advice.  You can do the same.

Now back to the topic  "For Japanese knife enthusiasts" ... which obviously means this thread isn't for everybody.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #248 on: 2 Aug 2017, 02:04 am »
Scott, don't run him off just yet, since I came in just under half his budget for this kitchen tool, I might be able to hook him up with one. Or two.

Also.....
I've got a guy on the BBQ site that is going to send my pic to his Japanese buddy (that lives in Japan) to get a translation!  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #249 on: 2 Aug 2017, 02:19 am »
You know, my first two hand forged Japanese knives were $30 apiece for Blue #2 steel knives.  Crude looking but, oh my, how functional- still use them. 
When my new one comes in, if Doc is interested, I'll send him one of my older ones to try out, sharpened to .25 micron.  I'd love to hear his impressions. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #250 on: 2 Aug 2017, 02:23 am »
You know, my first two hand forged Japanese knives were $30 apiece for Blue #2 steel knives.  Crude looking but, oh my, how functional- still use them. 
When my new one comes in, if Doc is interested, I'll send him one of my older ones to try out, sharpened to .25 micron.  I'd love to hear his impressions.
I'll even pay shipping.

Devil Doc

« Reply #251 on: 2 Aug 2017, 05:29 pm »
I wish you fellas would read my posts a little more carefully; instead of assuming I wrote things I didn't. I never said you shouldn't buy a Japanese knife. They're wonderful examples of the art, but I'd never put one to a whet stone, nor would I prepare dinner with one. It would hang on the wall. I recommend that some of you might find "Forged in Fire" interesting".

Doc

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #252 on: 2 Aug 2017, 05:46 pm »
Why would you not prepare dinner with one?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #253 on: 2 Aug 2017, 05:54 pm »
I wish you fellas would read my posts a little more carefully; instead of assuming I wrote things I didn't. I never said you shouldn't buy a Japanese knife. They're wonderful examples of the art, but I'd never put one to a whet stone, nor would I prepare dinner with one. It would hang on the wall. I recommend that some of you might find "Forged in Fire" interesting".

Doc

I've been watching it for quite a while.

I've got to find some free time to read through this thread.
This is a topic I know nothing about.

Thanks for sharing.

Devil Doc

« Reply #254 on: 2 Aug 2017, 06:30 pm »
Why would you not prepare dinner with one?
Because a Damascus steel knife need not be dulled on a tomato or piece of meat. There are much cheaper alternatives, which you can screw up sharpening without ruining it. Those Japanese chiefs have guys to sharpen their knives, as do most chiefs. You really think those folks sharpen their own knives?
There are three things you need to know about knives. 1) The harder the steel, the more difficult to sharpen. 2) The sharper a knife is, the quicker it gets dull. So you only need to sharpen until you can easily cut a tomato. You're not shaving with it. That's why straight razors get dull quickly. 3) A dull knife is a dangerous knife.

Doc

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #255 on: 2 Aug 2017, 07:39 pm »
I don't know Doc... I respect your opinion, but as a former auto mechanic, I learned early on about tools and levels of quality. I'd rather use a tool that is a joy to use that makes the task more enjoyable than one that simply "gets is done".
(We won't mention how much we all have in audio equipment when a simple "radio" would play music for us)

Besides, here's what it boils down to: I want it, have the money for it, and by God, I bought one. Done.  8)

Devil Doc

« Reply #256 on: 2 Aug 2017, 08:34 pm »
You should buy it. Whether you use it or not is up to you. I have a woodworker's square. It's accurate to seven decimal points. It's made of brass and walnut. It is absolutely beautiful.  Would I use it? Not on your life. I use a Starrett tri-square instead. Is it as accurate as the custom made one? No, but it's accurate enough.

Doc

Folsom

« Reply #257 on: 2 Aug 2017, 09:12 pm »
Are there any nice high carbon knives made today? Those hold an edge for a surprising amount of time, but they were generally made thin in the past so there use was more limited as they are not as rigid. Also you have to be careful because they can develop rust and they don't look so pretty.

Ultralight

« Reply #258 on: 2 Aug 2017, 09:24 pm »
I did not have a clue that there's a thread on Audiocircles on knives....LOL.

I've had a number of knives through the years including Shuns etc.  I know Shun is not a high end Japanese but we stopped there at SG2 steel.   Well, my knife that beat them all was a $4 crude affair that I picked up from a fruit vendor somewhere in the streets of China. he raved about the knives so out of curiosity, I picked up one for kicks. I  noticed that all the fruit vendors in that city was using that particular brand knife.  After all, $4?   That knife has an acute angle so I only use it for vegetables, fruits and boneless meat.  I don't know what to say except that I've never had a knife that gave me so much control, cut so effortlessly and stayed sharp after use.  After that came I put my Shun (SG2 steel) on ebay and got $300 for it used among other knives.

I don't have a clue what steel it is - it stains and will rust if I don't dry it, but man, it is a great knife! 

srb

« Reply #259 on: 2 Aug 2017, 09:48 pm »
I have a woodworker's square. It's accurate to seven decimal points.

I find that hard to believe.  What is the make and model?