L2 Signature Monoblocks - Information and Discussion Thread

decur

Re: L2 Signature Monoblocks - Information and Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jul 2018, 07:49 pm »
Oh,
Forgot to mention,i am running gamut rs5i 4 ohm speakers,which are current hungry monsters
And the L2 mono’s do not even break a sweat. I was worried,that 75w into 8ohms,140w into 4 ohms would not be sufficient power for my gamuts,but NO PROBLEM!!!
These amps have loads of current and are lightning fast.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jul 2018, 08:01 pm »
If you remove all of your cables (power, interconnect, digital and speaker) off the floor you will hear a far better system.....way more open, transparent and holographic.  You can make cable risers out of solid wood, cardboard or buy some commercial ones.

decur

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jul 2018, 08:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip,will do!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #43 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:34 pm »
Oh,
Forgot to mention,i am running gamut rs5i 4 ohm speakers,which are current hungry monsters
And the L2 mono’s do not even break a sweat. I was worried,that 75w into 8ohms,140w into 4 ohms would not be sufficient power for my gamuts,but NO PROBLEM!!!
These amps have loads of current and are lightning fast.

Hi decur,

Thanks for your post, and your system and room look great!

When you hear the L2 Preamp (with the all new L2 Phonostage for that Palmer turntable!) with your L2 Monoblocks, then you are really going to hear what the L2 Monoblocks can do!  :drool:  :guitar:  :notworthy:

Thanks again and I'm very glad you are enjoying your L2 Monos with those beautiful sounding rs5i's!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #44 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:19 pm »
All,

I forgot to mention more detail about the 12V Trigger Inputs.  Not a very "exciting" topic, but let me go over it now:

Via the L2 Preamplifier, you can turn ON/OFF the L2 Monoblocks (or another power amp with 12V trigger inputs) using the dual 12V Trigger outputs of the L2 Preamp.

For both components, I chose Neutrik 1/4" (6.35mm) locking TRS panel mount jacks.  I know it is more common (and less expensive) to use the  the smaller 3.5mm jacks (especially the cheap PCB mount jacks), but I found that none of them are nearly as rugged as this 1/4" panel-mount locking jack.

So depending on the length of your interconnects from L2 Preamp to L2 Monoblocks, you want to use approx. the same length TRS cables for the 12V triggers for each monoblcok.  I tested these, and they are very well made, readily available in many lengths, and at a great price!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=4792&seq=1&format=2

[1.5ft, 3ft, 6ft, 10ft, 15ft, 25ft, 35ft, 50ft, 75ft]  :thumb:

NOTE:  If you are outside the USA, it is probably much more convenient that I order these cables for you and include them with your L2.  Just let me know in the comments section of your order.

L2's 12V triggers (simple explanation):

When you turn ON your L2 Preamp and press the TRIG button on the front panel, the two 12V trigger outputs are turned ON.  This turns on/off the L2 Monoblocks without you having to turn on their ON/OFF switch. 

L2 Preamp saves the 12V trigger setting when you turn it ON/OFF.  This way, you can turn everything ON/OFF together via the PWR button on the L2 Preamp remote (or front panel).  Simple.

---

Q: [From a customer looking to use two pair of L2 Monoblocks for bi-amping his speakers].  How do I connect the triggers for 2 pair of L2 Monoblcocks (4 monoblocks)?

A: A TRS Y-cable will do the trick.  One for the LEFT channel trigger output (to turn on the two LEFT monoblocks in a bi-amp system), and one for the RIGHT channel.

This way, you can turn ON your L2 Preamp and all 4 monoblock with just a press of a button on the remote.  8)

And if you don't want to use a Y adapter, they make cables that go from one TRS male plug to two TRS male plugs.

And yes, I have seen cables that convert TRS male to 3 TRS females in case you want to tri-amp with 3 pairs of L2 Monoblocks.  :green:

Each L2 Monoblock trigger input only draws 45mA, and each L2 Preamp trigger output can provide 250mA continuous.

Q:  Does the 12V trigger cable have any influence on sound quality?

A:  No - not at all.  It is just a low current 12V DC on/off signal that turns on/off a power relay (instead of manually turning on/off the power rocker switch). 

I think that covers it!

Vinnie

MicheladaAntelope

« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:11 pm »
I’m not well versed in describing the subtle sonic differences in one great set up vs another great set up.   So, I’m going to tell a brief story of my new L2 monos powering a pair of Harbeth M40.2’s, being fed by my LIO DHT pre.

You see, I call my listening room (living room) varyingly “happy place”, “sonic wonderland”, etc.   It’s the best.   It was the best when I ran LIO as an integrated only.  Got much better when I added a VR120, and now moving to the new L2’s I can say it really is my “sonic wonderland”.

A couple of weeks ago I returned home around 1 a.m. from a rip roaring Phish show on a school night with the alarm set for 430.  By the time I arrived at home, the show was already downloaded and ready.   I thought to myself, “lets see if Vinnie can get me back THERE”.   And so, in a highly questionable move, I launched Roon, loaded up the show that finished only 90 minutes earlier, set LIO’s volume to 45 as a starting point 🤪 and pushed play.    Long story short, Vinnie definitely got me back THERE, but I was only there for about 45 seconds before I was nearly attacked by multiple children, an angry wife, and the dog.   TRUE.   

But then at 430 the alarm goes off.   I really really really wanted to be back THERE again....   But I know where the line is and this would most assuredly have gone way over it.   So I thought to myself, “can vinnie get me THERE at extra low volumes too?”   Well, its dark, its early, I’m not thrilled about going to work in 30 minutes.  But can’t I go back THERE one more time?   LIO volume set to 1.  Can’t get any quieter.   Sit down on couch.   Launch Roon and push play.   I was so much more blown away.   The ability of the LIO/L2 combo to deliver spot on reproduction of what really happened, at extreme ends of the volume spectrum was shocking to me.   ALL of the details were perfectly clear.   

Vinnie, thanks for helping to create my sonic wonderland.

Mike

guf

« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2018, 11:01 pm »

A couple of weeks ago I returned home around 1 a.m. from a rip roaring Phish show on a school night with the alarm set for 430.  By the time I arrived at home, the show was already downloaded and ready. 

we love the Phish! what show? Great job Vinnie.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #47 on: 16 Aug 2018, 03:42 pm »
Hi MicheladaAntelope,

Quote from: MicheladaAntelope
You see, I call my listening room (living room) varyingly “happy place”, “sonic wonderland”, etc.   It’s the best.   It was the best when I ran LIO as an integrated only.  Got much better when I added a VR120, and now moving to the new L2’s I can say it really is my “sonic wonderland”.

...The ability of the LIO/L2 combo to deliver spot on reproduction of what really happened, at extreme ends of the volume spectrum was shocking to me.   ALL of the details were perfectly clear.   

Thank you for posting your impressions of your L2 Signature Monoblocks with your LIO DHT Preamp!   :notworthy:

Quote from: guf
we love the Phish! what show? Great job Vinnie.

Thank you, guf!

It sounds like Mike brought the show to his home!   :thumb: :guitar: :drums: :singing:

Vinnie

MicheladaAntelope

« Reply #48 on: 17 Aug 2018, 03:22 pm »
DAILY IF POSSIBLE

Vinnie R.

« Reply #49 on: 3 Oct 2018, 04:57 pm »
L2 Signature Monoblocks are ready for RMAF, in 'king suites' 3018 and 4024!  8)

See you there!

Vinnie

Em2016

« Reply #50 on: 7 Nov 2018, 07:37 am »
I posted the following in the Axpona 2018 thread regarding a similar question about the caps (applies for the L2 Preamp and Monoblocks):

Copy/paste:

They are all linear supplies with very-low ESR (equivalent series resistance) electrolytic capacitors (not ultracaps).  The ESR on the higher voltage rails of the L2 Monoblocks is actually even lower with these electrolytics that I am using compared to using ultracaps.  The reason is because the total ESR of the cap bank on the rails using the ultracaps increases as you add them in series and you need many of them to get these voltage rails (approx. 4 times as many as I use in LIO).

L2 does not have external power supplies.  It is all internal (you can see the rear panel pics of the L2 Preamp and Monoblocks on our website).
Vinnie

Hi Vinnie

I understand the new L2 range to have lower noise than the LIO ultraCap.

But what about mains/AC RF filtering? The disconnection from mains power and breaking AC leakage current loops (and associated mains RF) for the LIO range is a big advantage regarding mains RF.

What lengths have you gone to, for mains RF filtering with the L2 range?

Very interested in the L2 range pre and monoblocks.

Cheers!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #51 on: 7 Nov 2018, 03:56 pm »
Hi Em2016,

What lengths have you gone to, for mains RF filtering with the L2 range?

For the L2 Signature Monoblock, RF noise from the AC mains is highly filtered via the inductance
of the 500VA toroid, as well as a C-R-C-R-C filter after the rectification stage.  That filter cuts
out noise by -120dB at 100kHz.  The amplifier stage itself has quite good power supply and common
mode rejection ratios as well.

For the L2 Signature Preamplifier, I worked with Brian Lowe of Belleson on the dual mono power supply design
and am using his patented super regulator designs throughout, as they are needed to get the noise floor
as low as possible in this DHT design, as well as for the L2 Dac and L2 Phonostage options.

I'm off to the NYC today and setting up for the NYAS tomorrow... if you can, come on over for a listen!

Vinnie

Em2016

« Reply #52 on: 8 Nov 2018, 01:13 am »
Hi Em2016,

For the L2 Signature Monoblock, RF noise from the AC mains is highly filtered via the inductance
of the 500VA toroid, as well as a C-R-C-R-C filter after the rectification stage.  That filter cuts
out noise by -120dB at 100kHz.  The amplifier stage itself has quite good power supply and common
mode rejection ratios as well.

I'm off to the NYC today and setting up for the NYAS tomorrow... if you can, come on over for a listen!

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie. So in terms of AC/mains borne RF noise, your L2 series measures as well as your LIO ultraCap? In your measurements?

I'm on the other side of the world, otherwise I'd definitely be at the NY show!

Many thanks again

Vinnie R.

« Reply #53 on: 13 Nov 2018, 09:49 pm »
Hi Em2016,

Thanks Vinnie. So in terms of AC/mains borne RF noise, your L2 series measures as well as your LIO ultraCap? In your measurements?

Yes, and it actually measures better in terms of noise, distortion, bandwidth...

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2018, 01:06 am »
Hello,

I am finally traded in my B&W 800 Diamond 2 and getting for a brand new Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, and would like to know your opinion of driving this Wilson speakers with your L2 Signature Monoblocks ?

Thank you

Vinnie R.

« Reply #55 on: 29 Nov 2018, 02:51 am »
Hello,

I am finally traded in my B&W 800 Diamond 2 and getting for a brand new Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, and would like to know your opinion of driving this Wilson speakers with your L2 Signature Monoblocks ?

Thank you

Hi Mitch751:

Wilson Sasha DAW:

Sensitivity:
91 dB (one watt at one meter at 1kHz)
Nominal Impedance:
4 ohms / minimum 2.48 ohms @ 85 Hz
Minimum Amplifier Power:
25 watts per channel

Each L2 Monoblock will give you 140Wrms into 4-ohms (and more into 2.48 ohms). 
With 91dB sensitivity, it will drive them very well (unless you are in a large room really looking to
play 'em very loud). 

Audiocircle member "decur" has Gamut RS5i floorstanders (4-ohm, 88.5dB sensitivity) with the L2 Signature Preamp
and Monoblocks and he can play them LOUD and clean (medium sized room).  Awesome punch, extension and control!

[I think both speakers are at a similar price point]

I am sure you will be more than pleased, and will find them to have finesse and subtlety that many larger amps won't
deliver.  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #56 on: 29 Nov 2018, 03:27 am »
Awesome

That’s a great news to me.

Let have the Wilson delivered and setup, I will seriously consider L2 and set it as my 2019 plan.

Thank you so much

Vinnie R.

« Reply #57 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:00 am »
Hi Mitch751,

Most definitely! 

Get the speakers set-up, dialed-in and singing in your room first. 

I hope they work out for you and give you goosebumps!  :thumb:

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #58 on: 3 Jan 2019, 05:18 pm »
L2 Signature Monoblocks - New for 2019!

Happy New Year!

Our website now has updated pages for the L2 Signature Monoblocks (and the L2 Signature Preamplifier), which
reflects the new pricing for 2019 as well as a new 'standard feature' for L2:

L2 Isolation Base, featuring (4) patented Stillpoints ULTRA MINI feet. 

The Stillpoints ULTRA MINI feature one ceramic ball bearing that acts as a vibration filter (isolator) to reduce the transfer of vibration to the audio component.  It is a bidirectional isolation device that has no direct vertical path through them.  The reduction of mechanical noise to the component delivers improvements such as a greater sense of space around instruments and performers, low-level detail retrieval, and microdynamic shadings.

The L2 Isolation Base is solid, CNC-machined aluminum and bolted to the bottom of the L2 component.  As with the enclosure for the L2 Signature components, they were designed by the Evett Design Group & Vinnie Rossi.  They really look fantastic and add a more substantial and premium look and feel:

Availability:  I should have the L2 Isolation Bases in stock by the end of February 2019. 

- For 2019 L2 orders that ship before this time, I will send the isolation bases separately, along with the mounting bolts and hex wrench.  They are very easy to install.  Simply place your L2 component upside down on a solid, clean surface (use a soft cloth to avoid scratches), remove the 4 original feet with the supplied hex wrench, align the L2 Isolation base over the mounting holes, and finally use provided mounting bolts to secure the base to the bottom of the L2 component.   

- For previous L2 orders (2018) that do not have the L2 Isolation Bases, you can still purchase them if you wish.  Please email or call me directly for the price and shipping.

https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-monoblock/

Thank you,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #59 on: 22 May 2019, 08:03 pm »
Jack Roberts (The Audio Beatnik) review of the L2 Signature Monoblocks has just gone live!  8)

Here is the link:
https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-l2-signature-monoblocks-from-vinnie-rossi

Quote from: Jack Roberts / The Audio Beatnik

I think the first two things you will notice about these monoblocks is their bass and their soundstaging. Whether kettle drums, a standup bass or a big pipe organ these amps have iron-fisted control of the bass. The bass is also deep, fast and powerful.

The second thing I noticed was the soundstage, and it was huge. With the L2 Signature amps in my system, the soundstage floated behind the speakers and way to the outside of the speakers... The L2 Signatures allowed my system to do this better than any amp I have heard.

The midrange has a wonderfully natural, relaxed, liquid, sweet and warm sound. Sinatra, or Ella’s voices or Ben Webster’s sax all sounded so relaxed and effortless. These power amps enabled me to hear layers of tones and textures of the music that came out of a very natural sounding background of silence. Performances were quite involving and moving at both low and loud listening levels.

With these amps, my system also had the capability to let me hear the lushness from the strings and woodwinds. When you combine this midrange with the bass I talked about above, you have a real winner on your hands.

...These are simply very seductive sounding amplifiers.

Thank you for your time and effort, Jack - it sounds like the L2 Signature Monoblocks + Devore Super Nines made beautiful music together! :singing:

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2019, 03:49 pm by Vinnie R. »