Class D versus the rest

cab

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm »
Cab:

Simply put, if lived up to a 1/4 of the hype, it would be mainstream by now, not just in the DIY world.

Jim

All in good time....Ncore has just recently been released.....

Perhaps you haven't noticed that there are more class d amps in consumer products now than all other types combined.....

bummrush

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm »
If I tried ncore it would have to be a nIght and day difference from the class d I had in 97 cause that shit was sad.

cab

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm »
I have owned three amps with switching power supplies, and they all sounded 30-40% better running on a battery.

I would buy an Ncore in a heartbeat if it ran off of battery.

In doesn't follow that the same must hold true for the ncore....

And by the way, it can be run on a battery, it would just be a bit more complicated due to the multiple voltages required...

medium jim

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm »
Tom:

I bet you are correct and frankly am miffed why they can't be operated on a battery power supply. 

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm »
Yet another cheer leader from the sidelines.....

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:02 pm »
In doesn't follow that the same must hold true for the ncore....

And by the way, it can be run on a battery, it would just be a bit more complicated due to the multiple voltages required...

A switching power supply is a swirching power supply no matter what company makes it. My ears are very keen to electronic glare, and all switching power supplies on amps I have ever heard has that same electronic glare.

Replace the switching power supply with a battery, and voila! :thumb:

cab

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:04 pm »
Tom:

I bet you are correct and frankly am miffed why they can't be operated on a battery power supply. 

Jim

You seem to have a problem comprehending written English.....repeat, they can be operated on a battery....why don't you give it a try and let us know how it turns out?

TomS

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:06 pm »
Tom:

Jim
If you choose not to use the Hypex SMPS, you'd just need to supply +/-64v for output stages and +/-16-25v for input stages. The data sheets tell you all you need to know.

I've dealt with SMPS in one way or another my whole life, in and out of audio, usually with disdain unless I have to move them somewhere. All I can say is keep an open mind on these when paired as a system before you start hauling batteries in.

cab

« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:06 pm »
A switching power supply is a swirching power supply no matter what company makes it. My ears are very keen to electronic glare, and all switching power supplies on amps I have ever heard has that same electronic glare.

Replace the switching power supply with a battery, and voila! :thumb:

Try listening before you generalize and spread your dogma and your opinion will be taken more seriously....

medium jim

« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:12 pm »
Cab:

The dogma and carp I'm hearing is from you. Others are not personalizing or getting defensive.  It's not like you own the company or work for Bruno, but you sure are acting as you do.

If they are so good, they will rise on their own merit and not from those who chose to be nebbish in their fervent posts.

Jim

cab

« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:20 pm »
Cab:

The dogma and carp I'm hearing is from you. Others are not personalizing or getting defensive.  It's not like you own the company or work for Bruno, but you sure are acting as you do.

If they are so good, they will rise on their own merit and not from those who chose to be nebbish in their fervent posts.

Jim

Unlike yourself, I have made no generalizations about class d or called anyone a cheerleader....in fact, all I have done is said listen before you judge because without any direct experience, you have no basis for making any qualitative statements.

Products don't become popular in a vacuum. They become popular because people think they are good, tell other people, and the cycle repeats.

So people are excited about this product because it seems to offer heretofore unheard performance at or greatly above its price point. You would think that would appeal to anyone with an interest in this hobby.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:38 pm »
The linked article in the first post was written way back in 2005.  Have any us heard from this writer or his company since then?

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:40 pm »

So people are excited about this product because it seems to offer heretofore unheard performance at or greatly above its price point. You would think that would appeal to anyone with an interest in this hobby.

Before the net, there has been several great products with unheard performance over the yaers. The dealers just never told you about them. The Musical Fidelity A1 at $375 retail is just one of them. If you heard one of these in your present system today, you would be shocked. They are selling used on Ebay in the $300 range. Not bad since these were made 25 years ago.

Now before you make any generalizations, you need to hear one for yourself.

$1900 by the time you get the Ncores assembled in cases is a great value? And what will be the resale value in a couple of years?

medium jim

« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:42 pm »
Once again, it is becoming a circular argument...doesn't anyone ever learn?

Jim

cab

« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:46 pm »
Before the net, there has been several great products with unheard performance over the yaers. The dealers just never told you about them. The Musical Fidelity A1 at $375 retail is just one of them. If you heard one of these in your present system today, you would be shocked. They are selling used on Ebay in the $300 range. Not bad since these were made 25 years ago.

Now before you make any generalizations, you need to hear one for yourself.

Thanks for the tip...I will run right out and buy one....

$1900 by the time you get the Ncores assembled in cases is a great value? And what will be the resale value in a couple of years?

I couldn't care less as I don't purchase equipment based on resale value-I purchase based on performance, and since there have been many reports of the ncore besting amps at many times its price, I would indeed consider it to have the potential to offer great value.

bummrush

« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:53 pm »
Why don't they just put a good linear power supply in it ?

cab

« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:55 pm »
Why don't they just put a good linear power supply in it ?

It is a diy product. Feel free to put any type of power supply you want in it....

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:56 pm »
Try listening before you generalize and spread your dogma and your opinion will be taken more seriously....

I am not spreading anything. I am just saying what I hear from SWPS. If you do not hear the electronic glare of SWPS, then you have no worries. :thumb:

Do you work for Hypex?

cab

« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:01 pm »
I am not spreading anything. I am just saying what I hear from SWPS. If you do not hear the electronic glare of SWPS, then you have no worries. :thumb:

Do you work for Hypex?

You don't have to work for Hypex to have an open mind....

TomS

« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:03 pm »
You guys are helping me win my bet this thread doessn't make it to 50 posts. Carry on.