If loving MQA is wrong... I don't want to be right (Roon 1.5 + BDP)

zoom25

To this day, MQA makes no sense for me given that it's 2018. Most people can stream 1080p or even 4K Netflix without any problems. 24 bit audio is nothing compared to that. It's easily attainable at home. MQA for travelling and portable use also makes no sense. Who are these audiophiles that have such resolving rigs that care so much about the SQ when travelling and moving around. MP3 320 and normal lossless is more than enough for travelling where you may need to use data. Plus, most people just use MP3 or Spotify offline when travelling. I can't reasonably understand a reason for MQA's existence in 2018 except to make money. Streaming 24 bit lossless masters should be easy. Everyone should be pushing for lossless, not lossy, in 2018.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Their Comet DAC looks very sleek. Wonder how it stands up vs. a BDA-3?

http://www.exogal.com/index.php/products/comet-dac

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Their Comet DAC looks very sleek. Wonder how it stands up vs. a BDA-3?

http://www.exogal.com/index.php/products/comet-dac
It actually gets very good reviews!
When it comes to sound I doubt the differences will be immense. Above a certain price it will be nuances and preferences at most. What I like about this DAC is that it has an analog input, which makes a pre amp obsolete. This is a route I would like to follow at this point in time...

My perfect DAC would have the connectivity of a BDA3 plus at least 2 analog inputs, digital volume control (skip the headphone part, that should be a separate "power"amp), stereo analog outputs, a user programmable (software like Arta) cross over filter which sends out a two or three way analog output signal to go into separate poweramps like the 24B3 for active loudspeakers, and possibly a Lyngdorf-like RoomPerfect option.

A ladder architecture would be awesome...  8)
(just randomly pointing at Merging Nadac, Schitt, Exogal...)

James, feel free to start working on it! If you have any question I'll be happy to help, and I will order the first one.

Pundamilia

More from Mark Waldrep and support for James'/ Bryston's decision to not support MQA on their DACs:

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6234

geowak

skunark "Is Tidal the only MQA game in town?   If the reports in the news today (5/16) are true, Tidal will either need some more capital investors, raise rates or fold if it can't sell to another bidder."

Yes that is a very good question and I have been asking it too. Never have gotten an answer. There has been a lot invested, by many recording companies and others, into MQA. Additionally, there has been much invested into Tidal. But Tidal is sinking and unless someone, some group of investors or some megabig company buys it or injects cash, MQA will go down with the Tidal ship. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong or way off! I like Tidal and MQA and would like to continue enjoying the service.

wushuliu

skunark "Is Tidal the only MQA game in town?   If the reports in the news today (5/16) are true, Tidal will either need some more capital investors, raise rates or fold if it can't sell to another bidder."

Yes that is a very good question and I have been asking it too. Never have gotten an answer. There has been a lot invested, by many recording companies and others, into MQA. Additionally, there has been much invested into Tidal. But Tidal is sinking and unless someone, some group of investors or some megabig company buys it or injects cash, MQA will go down with the Tidal ship. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong or way off! I like Tidal and MQA and would like to continue enjoying the service.

A lot of internet music journalism seems invested in Tidal's fortunes for several years now. Oh, the concern.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
Fake audio.
Next.

Krutsch

Fake audio.
Next.

I am listening to "The Best Of The Grateful Dead (Live) [Remastered]" on Tidal via Roon to my BDP-1. Software unfolding to 96/24. Fantastic sound.

Everyone can bitch all they want about MQA - and believe me, I've read it all - but I just clicked twice and added this album to my library. Boom, done.

But, yeah, you can head on over to HD Tracks and buy the same music for $34.98, download it, copy it to your NAS drive or USB device attached to your BDP, run the stupidly long process to update your BrystonDB and...

... sometime later, have a listen.

Enjoy!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
Enjoy Tidal while it lasts.

As for HD Tracks, good thing I never bit their "HD" sales pitch.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hdtracks-albums-with-fake-dynamic-range.774164/

cheers

Anonamemouse

I am listening to "The Best Of The Grateful Dead (Live) [Remastered]" on Tidal via Roon to my BDP-1. Software unfolding to 96/24. Fantastic sound.

Everyone can bitch all they want about MQA - and believe me, I've read it all - but I just clicked twice and added this album to my library. Boom, done.

But, yeah, you can head on over to HD Tracks and buy the same music for $34.98, download it, copy it to your NAS drive or USB device attached to your BDP, run the stupidly long process to update your BrystonDB and...

... sometime later, have a listen.

Enjoy!
And as soon as Tidal goes belly up: Boom, gone.
Of course you also bought the $1 first pressing cd to compare? Because that will sound at least the same, quite possibly even better.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
Of course you also bought the $1 first pressing cd to compare? Because that will sound at least the same, quite possibly even better.

Good point. I'm finding that many 44/16 files sound just as fine and more natural than 96/24. Heck, some MP3-320 bought from Presto Classical sound no better to me than CD rips at 44/16, played back on my system. Others do sound different. Such is the nature of audio -- all depends on the quality of the masters.
ymmv as usual, so listen first on your own gear....but I will say that my Bryston BDP/BDA and amps really make "hi-res" moot in many instances. And I'm not talking headphone listening.

cheers

SlushPuppy

https://positive-feedback.com/industry-news/exogal-abandons-mqa-development/

This news makes the MQA argument irrelevant. I really like Tidal (and yes, I often stream MQA), but I'll be one of the first to sign with Qobuz this fall.

skunark

With the right consistent interface to all devices this would not only replace tidal easily, but CDs and hirez files too.   

Tidal still has issues with playback being different across devices which is probably more of a  licensing issue than a hardware limitation.  The service also has issues syncing playlists with Roon, sourcing your existing library, understanding your preferences.   I'm not a huge country or a hip hop fan and rather annoyed those are the main two choices when browsing music.   Sure I don’t mind a little Garth and Drake once in a blue moon, but not in the same playlist.   I’m just not a tidal fan yet...

Anonamemouse

Krutsch

Sure. But here's the point: I don't have to. I click and I listen. Boom, done.

And, if Tidal goes belly-up, then I will switch to something else that will provide the same library, Redbook, lossy or high-res.