Power conditioning and cryo treating

Occam

« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2003, 06:04 pm »
Gents,

Many thanks for making me aware of the Oneac. I hadn't realized that what they were marketing as a power conditioner actually incorporated an isolation transformer. I've also learned, via the AudioAsylum, that some of the Powervar conditioners similarly incorporated isolation trans.

A couple of questions -

Has anyone compared a similarly rated Oneac to a Powervar (or others)?

Has anyone attempted to modify these units for balanced power?

Thanks,
Occam

Carlman

« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2003, 06:48 pm »
Just bought an 1102 and 1103... 20 and 30 bucks = $50 plus shipping.  Hope it helps clean up my power a bit.  I'll be running dedicated lines sometime in the next few months but, hope this helps with the line noise I have now.

Thanks for the info... I'll report my findings when I get them.

-Carl

Bwanagreg

« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2003, 07:06 pm »
I've noticed more OneAC bidding activity on Ebay the last few days.  I hope we don't end up jacking the price up!  :roll:

Carlman

« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2003, 07:15 pm »
Quote from: Bwanagreg
I've noticed more OneAC bidding activity on Ebay the last few days.  I hope we don't end up jacking the price up!  :roll:

:lol: Sorry man..... You can't stop people from driving up the price but, you can get in while the gettin's good.  :lol:

I'll post that the results suck and that everyone lied about how good these things were... that'll help ;)

Occam

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2003, 07:40 pm »
I'll rephrase a question - On the Oneac's (Powervar's...) isolation transformer's secondaries, is there a (unused) center tap?

Are the isolation transformers toroidal of EI cored?

Thanks in advance

byteme

« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2003, 02:40 am »
Occam,

Sorry, haven't compared the Powervar to the Oneac.  I've heard from other sources though that occasionally the Powervars can be a bit noisy.  The Oneacs also seem to be more available.

No idea how you'd modify to balanced.  Also, not familiar with the rephrasing of the question...Sorry!

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2003, 02:43 pm »
I noticed the additional bidding as *seemingly* a result of this thread.  I know I bought a 1103, 1105 & 1107 based on this thread and so far I really like the results.  

My wife really pushed me to set up our fishtank again which I had neglected intentionally because of all the noise it makes.  The air pump especially is a big noise maker and its horrible effects can be heard through the speakers.  However, in the distant past I had just turned it all off while listening, which is probably why I killed all the fish.  Now, I just put a 1103 on the fishtank equipment and voila!

I was thinking of buying some for the fridge, dishwasher  too!

Psychicanimal

« Reply #27 on: 3 Sep 2003, 02:56 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
  I was thinking of buying some for the fridge, dishwasher too!

Read my thread "Best upgrade ever: cryo'ed receptacle for my refrigerator" in the Audiogon archives.

Some people are using Highwire Wirewraps on their refrigerators with excellent results.  Also, EMI modules can be used if the refrigerator is not in the same circuit as the audio system.  These can be purchased in 15-20 amp versions for reasonable prices in the surplus market.

Here I am, giving unsolicited advice once more... :o

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 3 Sep 2003, 05:37 pm »
At least it`s advise and not cynical saracastic BS! Damn it, there goes my impulsiveness again,, guess ain`t none of use are perfect! :wink: Regards,Robin

JoshK

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2003, 08:12 pm »
Hey PA,

Is your 3,000watt ONEAC, like this one?  on ebay

Jay S

« Reply #30 on: 4 Sep 2003, 10:50 pm »
OneAC has several different models of different power conditioners...  Is the key difference among them package size, current capacity and voltage?  

The one that Josh mentions seems to be a 220v model!   :idea:   It may be a bit large (physical dimensions) for me...  

Assuming equal voltage rating, any one have an idea how the performance of an OneAC would compare to a balanced power supply?

Psychicanimal

« Reply #31 on: 5 Sep 2003, 12:53 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Hey PA,

Is your 3,000watt ONEAC, like this one?  on ebay

Mine is a CB 2338, 220V in/110V out.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2003, 01:58 am »
Quote from: Jay S
OneAC has several different models of different power conditioners...  Is the key difference among them package size, current capacity and voltage?  

The one that Josh mentions seems to be a 220v model!   :idea:   It may be a bit large (physical dimensions) for me...  

Assuming equal voltage rating, any one have an idea how the performance of an OneAC would compare to a balanced power supply?
                    No fact stated here, just my opinion Jay, but I doubt there`s any close comparison performance-wise, balanced power should be superior, especially sonicly. But for the cost difference, it better be! :lol: Regards, Robin

JoshK

« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2003, 01:50 pm »
I don't know if what Robin says is true because I have not compared the Oneac to a balanced unit but I will say that my CP1103, 1105 &1107 have made some serious improvements in my sound and seriously lowered my noise floor more than any other power product I have tried to date.  Used in conjunction with my bybee power bar from bolder this works really really well.  For the relatively little money I have spent (esp compared to hi-fi power equipment) I am seriously pleased!

audiojerry

« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2003, 02:30 pm »
I am gratified that others are discovering the tremendous value and benefit these very inexpensive units provide. Me, psychic, and a few others took advantage of this opportunity well over a year ago, and tried to bring it to folks' attention on Harmonic Discord back then. It was greeted with some disbelief and ridicule.  :nono:

I think part of the reason for the doubters is that the Powervar's were so damn cheap ($35 and $40) for my two units, and it's hard to convince someone that something so cheap can be so effective. Also, at the time, BPT was being heavily praised, and some folks were trying to defend BPT and the money they spent to purchase one. I have no criticism of BPT. It may be great and much better, but how painful can it be to fork down 50 bucks to give a Powervar/Oneac a try?   :)

byteme

« Reply #35 on: 5 Sep 2003, 04:17 pm »
I agree.  I'm VERY happy I tried them and was able to sell some higher cost less effective gear.  Since the original post I've damped the Oneac's with Dynamat Extreme and repalced the power cords on them with Flavor 2 equivalents.  I wouldn't spend the time/money again on the power cord upgrade because I didn't notice any difference, however, they are SO good I just had to try and see if that made any difference.  

Many thanks to those on the forum for the suggestion!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 5 Sep 2003, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
I am gratified that others are discovering the tremendous value and benefit these very inexpensive units provide. Me, psychic, and a few others took advantage of this opportunity well over a year ago, and tried to bring it to folks' attention on Harmonic Discord back then. It was greeted with some disbelief and ridicule.  :nono:

I think part of the reason for the doubters is that the Powervar's were so damn cheap ($35 and $40) for my two units, and it's hard to convince someone that something so cheap c ...
                  You know Jerry, it`s a down right shame that one of these units hasn`t found it`s way for review at 6 Moons, Positive Review, etc to help validate there effectiveness to the public. Hell, even the manufacturer`s won`t recommend their products for audio usage,,, everything but. What`s up with that? Aren`t they ignoring a potentially profitable market by not doing so? This are simple enough questions that have been asked before but I guess we`re not suppose to find AND document an economical component for the high end audio market. Who knows? :roll:  Regards, Robin

Beezer

oneac for cd
« Reply #37 on: 5 Sep 2003, 07:56 pm »
Hey folks,

What size/rating Oneac (watts/amps) would I need for a CD player only?  I'm assuming one those 90 lb. honkers wouldn't be necessary...

Thanks,
Beez

JoshK

« Reply #38 on: 5 Sep 2003, 08:20 pm »
the 3amp one should do, although the 5amp one would give you a little more wiggle room if you decided to hook more up to it.  (3amp = CP1103 for instance)

Psychicanimal

« Reply #39 on: 5 Sep 2003, 10:36 pm »
Quote from: Beezer
Hey folks,

What size/rating Oneac (watts/amps) would I need for a CD player only?  I'm assuming one those 90 lb. honkers wouldn't be necessary...

Thanks,
Beez

Figure to use no more than 50% of the transformer's maximum continuous amperage rating.  That will keep the windings from saturating and thus causing severe distortion.  Josh is correct, with a 3 amp unit you should be able to hook up DAC and transport and still have adequate headroom.

When you buy a used ONEAC you need to get canned air, contact cleaner plus enhancer (like ProGold) and clean up and protect all the contacts inside. 8)

Edit: I would keep digital components completely separate, so you don't need too much amperage.  Two- three amp rating is plenty.  Now the 3 amp and larger models have larger capacitors (wired in parallel accross the outlet(s) and have better noise reduction specs.  I've opened quite a few of these units...