Looking for a Dodd Amp

skalos

Looking for a Dodd Amp
« on: 9 Apr 2019, 08:13 pm »

Hello All,

I just finished these enclosed servo-subs, 1 for each side, and added them to the fully upgraded NS3S I finished a couple of years ago.  I have some measuring and tweaking to do with the integration but they sound excellent together already.

For those of us who do not have room for open baffles these really fit the bill.

I am now looking for a new (to me) amp to power the NS3S.  I currently have a Dodd battery powered preamp and I am looking for a Dodd battery amp to complete the setup.  If anyone here has one or know of anyone else that has one, and is ready to part with it, please let me know.

Is anyone here using this combination? If so, please share your experience.

Best,

Steven

skalos

Re: Looking for a Dodd Amp
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2019, 07:37 pm »
Ok,

No Dodd amps for sale out there.

What are NS3 owners using to power them?

Owners, please share.

I am currently using ClassD Audio SDS470.

Right now I am considering the AVA Ultravalve.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Steven

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2019, 07:45 pm »
Since you have a sub and the N3S is 90 db efficient, I think a nice tube amp would be a good match.  I'm a big fan of the Bob Latino built ST70 amp:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST70

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:45 pm »
There are many of us with Dodd amps, but not as many with the battery amps from his last few years. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2019, 10:06 pm »
Today I'm been lining servo subs with No Rez (triple stack) for the show in Dallas and have been listening to Gary's gear powering the NX-Treme's. I've been thinking about him a lot today. Today was his birthday.

The little Folsom amp can be battery powered and sounds really good with Gary's pre-amps. If you are not looking for a lot of volume it is worth considering.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2019, 10:37 pm »
I have a Dodd battery powered stereo 15wpc amp that is available.  It has a purpleheart faceplate that matches my Dodd buffer and DAC.  This was one that Gary had parts for to repair with the modular HV supply.

Last I used it was with my Super-V's that were sold.

PM me if interested and can see if I can test it out.

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2019, 02:40 am »
I have a Dodd battery amp I’d be willing to sell. 

jcotner

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2019, 03:04 am »
Today I'm been lining servo subs with No Rez (triple stack) for the show in Dallas and have been listening to Gary's gear powering the NX-Treme's. I've been thinking about him a lot today. Today was his birthday.

Happy Birthday Gary. Gone but not forgotten.
Hope you guys raise a glass to him weekend after next
in Dallas.  :birthday:

skalos

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2019, 07:29 pm »
Hello HAL Danny and Will2,

Do you think the 15 watt Dodd amp will appropriately power the N3S?

I don't listen at Rock Festival volumes but I do get loud on occasion. 

I also plan to use an inline high-pass filter to crossover the N3S at about 100 HZ so that the sealed subs take over at 100hz  and down.

Best,

Steven

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2019, 11:39 pm »
Hello HAL Danny and Will2,

Do you think the 15 watt Dodd amp will appropriately power the N3S?

I don't listen at Rock Festival volumes but I do get loud on occasion. 

I also plan to use an inline high-pass filter to crossover the N3S at about 100 HZ so that the sealed subs take over at 100hz  and down.

Best,

Steven

Man, those are great sounding amps and it will work well with those speakers unless you're wanting to play pretty loud.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2019, 12:02 am »
I used a pair of Dodd 6bq5 amps with about 12 WPC output on a pair of GR  AV-3 speakers with similar sensitivities to your N3S speakers. They were be best match those speakers ever saw.   It was plenty of power, and if you are going to pull of the bottom 1 1/2 octave, I know 15 watts would be all that you need. 
The Folsom amp that Danny mentioned would also be a very good match, and at a great price if you do a bit of soldering.