Third-party preamps with Bryston amps?

mike678

Re: Third-party preamps with Bryston amps?
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2018, 01:06 pm »
I do all my eq in the player, in the computer, or if its complex, I send it to the daw, and thence from there out to the dac. The filters available to me there give me time domain stuff, paragraphic down to .001db (great for tuning around cables and such), and controlled introduction of added harmonics if I want...and if I don't want, I hit the "off" switch. For me, the preamp only needs to be a volume control and a switch. And only the volume control for gain staging, since the digital is done in 64 bit math.

Mike-48

« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2018, 03:29 pm »
Hi, James

As David C said, PEQ is parametric equalization; in this case, in the digital realm.

As Mike678 pointed out, PEQ can be done by some player programs, which also can control volume transparently if the system's gain structure is set up right. I use such a setup in my desktop system via USB.

Both methods work well.

Mike
P.S. I'm loving, loving, loving my 4B3. It is a really outstanding product! After trying about five different amps in and above its price range, I picked the 4B3.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2018, 06:42 pm »
PEQ
Regardless where your speakers, subwoofer(s) and listening chair are in relation to each other, there will likely be room modes that can only be addressed with equalization. In most rooms, the three primary dimensions contribute to three low frequency modes where the room actually increases the level causing peaks at those frequencies. The CP-800 offers parametric equalization to help address these real world problems. Performed in the digital domain, these high quality filters allow optimization of low frequency response without adding analog circuitry to the L&R channel signal paths.

Thanks

james

plastico

« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2018, 08:39 pm »
I use a ARC SP-9 pre with my 4BST and is is heavenly!
Cheers, Doug

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2018, 09:00 pm »
I use a Bryston BP-26 as my main preamp.
I add in a VAC Standard preamp as a deluxe 'tube buffer' for my digital sources.
My new Marantz SA-10 I have RCA to the VAC and straight via balanced to the BP-26.
I almost always use through the VAC as it adds something warm I like to the sound.

Then for my second turntable, a Kuzma I use another preamp just for it's 3 tube phono section, Audio Research Sp-15 to the BP-26, as if the ARC is just a phono preamp

Both of the spare preamps  bought used for around $1500 each.
I own a third spare preamp a Onkyo Grand Integra P309 I found at Goodwill for $20

TJ-Sully

« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2018, 12:28 am »
Nice goodwill shopping Elizabeth! A good pal of mine - who lives in the back 40 in central British Columbia is often finding gems at second hand shops - especially old speakers and CD players. last time i was over at his place i think he was using an old sony playstation as the source, a Shiit DAC and some vintage speakers and it sounded deadly - for probably less than $300-400 all in. 
After boasting about my Mini T's for a few years, he eventually bought a pair Bryston Mini A's and is loving them. Now he's scoping out options for a 3B or 4B to match. I think he's planning to use his Musical Fidelity integrated as a preamp - and he's loving the Shiit DAC so don't think a BDA1 or 2 is in the cards yet.

WilsonDADA

« Reply #46 on: 13 Aug 2018, 05:08 pm »
Hi all Bryston users, as a new member from HK (4B3 user) to the Bryston family, I am also thinking of using a third part pre amp. But the question is what is thinking now is a passive  pre amp. And there is no discussion for a passive amp. So write here to see the advice from all the users here.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #47 on: 28 Aug 2018, 03:52 pm »
Passive preamps may, or may not work out. Mostly it depends on the source equipment output.
Some sources have the power to drive a passive. Some do not. So it is a hit or miss affair usually.

Often a source does not have enough to make the sound great through a passive.The sound becomes thin and dynamic suffer.
So if you can try out the equipment before purchase, to see if it works well with your stuff. that would be ideal.
But remember if you change sources later, the new source may not work as well with a passive.

I own five preamps all active. and enjoy each of them.. latest is a used Conrad Johnson ACT2 addition.
So I am totally in the active preamp school.
There are tons of nice used preamps always out there. Finding the best deals.. just takes a bit of time. and luck.

Mike-48

« Reply #48 on: 28 Aug 2018, 04:24 pm »
I tried a couple of inexpensive passive preamps or attenuators and did not like the result. As I have a Dayton OmniMic2 system, I measured what happened. When gain was reduced, low frequencies were cut relative to high frequencies. This was clearly audible, as it was a matter of decibels, and the sound became less accurate.

I suspect that what I saw was interaction between the output impedances of the source and attenuator (passive preamp), the input impedance of the amp, and the balanced interconnect cables; still, I am not an electronics professional, so that is a guess. IMO, it is particularly important to try a passive before you buy, and if possible, measure the result so you can interpret what you hear.  What sounds like "clarity" at first may prove in the long run to be reduction of warmth and bass.

Despite many positive reviews of passive units, I've never seen anyone else measure the results to ascertain what their side-effects might be.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #49 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:41 pm »
Dear Bryston circle,

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I am curious if anyone is using non-Bryson preamps with their Bryston amplifiers.  I am considering going down that road and am curious what other AC members are using.  My amplifiers are 7B3 and my transducers are Magico S5s.  I would prefer to stay with SS for reliability, but am open to all opinions and advice.

Cheers,

John

Only if you desire tube coloration meaning a harmonically richer presentation. I would guess using Magico with Bryston some richness may be required. Conrad Johnson and Bryston mate very well.
  If it were me I would use a Bryston preamp and consider a harmonically rich DAC or server. If TT is used a Koetsu or Miyajima cart. Bryston gear and Magico are true to the source. Condider source.

charles

WilsonDADA

« Reply #50 on: 3 Sep 2018, 03:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply. The replies showed that i need to pay attention and be careful if i really try a passive amp for my 4B3. In fact, I audited  Bespoke (a British passive amp) and was attracted by its performance. So put it on the list.
For these few weeks, just borrowed Jeff Rowland Synergy IIi for home audition. And it sounds great and work well with 4B3. So once again, before making any decision, need some more time for selection and considerations.
Thanks for the advice.

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
« Reply #51 on: 7 Sep 2018, 10:24 am »
Using a c2300 with great results

Getting organized ,taking some time

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #52 on: 22 Sep 2018, 07:37 pm »
The total results will vary, of course, depending on ALL one's associated equipment, but Bryston power amps perform well with just about any preamp that doesn't have excessively high output impedance.

I've used, in no particular order, the following non-Bryston preamps with the 7B-SST2, 4B-SST2, 3B-SST, and 4B-ST (have also used the BP-25 and BP-26):

— PBN Audio Olympia LXi
— Crane Song Avocet IIA monitor controller (a line-stage preamp with internal DAC and extra circuitry for studio-specific functions)
— Grace Designs m905 monitor controller (as previous)
— Esoteric C-03x
— Boulder 1012
— Krell Evolution 202
— Ayre K-1xe

bapcha

« Reply #53 on: 23 Sep 2018, 02:41 am »
Use any preamp that you want to (the quieter, the better). At the level of Bryston and above, it is mostly "man jewelry" with incremental (mostly inaudible) differences costing thousands of dollars. Since I am a silicon guy, I have little regard for tube gear

TJ-Sully

« Reply #54 on: 24 Sep 2018, 01:44 pm »
bapcha - have to disagree with you there. i believe each piece of electronic gear (regardless of price point) carries its own sonic signature based on its design elements. And I would argue that an experienced listener would hear significant variations in sonic presentation based on swapping out preamps from different manufacturers. 

bapcha

« Reply #55 on: 24 Sep 2018, 02:26 pm »
Sure. I'll give you "sonic signature". Different, yes - but "better"? My take is that if you enjoy your music - played by a $5 radio, it is a better scenario than nitpicking on <fill in whatever>

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2018, 05:20 pm »
Sure. I'll give you "sonic signature". Different, yes - but "better"? My take is that if you enjoy your music - played by a $5 radio, it is a better scenario than nitpicking on <fill in whatever>

:thumb:

Sonic signature = the sound of my bank accountant laughing as $$ is spent on hi-end.

Glenn Gould was moved to tears when he listened to a classical piece on his crappy radio. But then, he's a (iconic) musician....

:popcorn:

cheers

bapcha

« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2018, 07:36 pm »
Maestro  :D :D :D

Ola_S

« Reply #58 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm »
I use the new preamp from Swedish Sybarite Audio together with 7b3 (and 28B), the model is no1622. Like the Bryston preamps (I also have a Bp-25 and a BP-26) it is fully discrete and also have a RIAA section for both MC and MM.

"Sybarite Audio No 1622 preamplifier - THD versus frequncy at different loadings (150, 600 and 100 k ohms). Thanks to the all discrete, class A circuitry, the No 1622 output stage is remarkably load tolerant - not even the punishing 150 ohms load causes any issues as far as linearity is concerned!"

Luxmancl38

« Reply #59 on: 23 Nov 2018, 02:42 am »
The RME ADI2 DAC has a 5 band PEQ as one of it's features. Found it very useful. :thumb: