Tube dampers on preamps & amps

aln

« on: 13 Feb 2004, 01:24 pm »
Just wondering what experiences people have had with tube dampers on their AVA gear.  I currently use teflon 0 rings in my amp's and preamp.  I tried the mapleshade brass tube clamp-but didn't like the resulting sound or the hassle of getting them properly clamped.  I have my preamp and two amps sitting on the full mapleshade isolation system.  Has anyone tried top hats for instance?

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2004, 01:52 pm »
I don't have AVA gear, but I have a MiniMax, EAR 834P & Jolida JD100. I use the HAL-O tube Damping Instrument with great success. Music is more Focused. I use them on all my tubes, 8 tubes in all. And the price is right, with a 90 trail period. You can't go wrong.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2004, 01:53 pm »
I don't have AVA gear, but I have a MiniMax, EAR 834P & Jolida JD100. I use the HAL-O tube Damping Instrument with great success. Music is more Focused. I use them on all my tubes, 8 tubes in all. And the price is right, with a 90 trail period. You can't go wrong.

aln

Info on tube dampers & system tweaks
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2004, 01:19 pm »
For info on tube dampers and some good system tweeks try:

www.Magnam.com

aln

Updated URL for tweeks
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2004, 04:55 pm »
The correct URL for system tweeks and tube dampers

http://magnan.com/

Tweaker

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2005, 01:29 am »
I tried tube dampers on an Anthem Pre-1 and ithey sucked the life out of the sound. Bass especially suffered. Some people swear by them so I would suggest you try them and decide for yourself. I will sell you mine!

yeldarb

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2005, 03:09 pm »
I use Herbie's Halos on my PAS 4i.  I bought them thinking that I would probably send them back, but they made a large difference in the "blackness" surrounding the music.  High frequencies also seem more detailed.  A $60 tweak that was really worthwhile.

Gordy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2005, 04:02 pm »
Hi aln,

I'm curious about your teflon O rings... every example I've seen seemed far too hard to provide any significant dampening!?  Have you tried a softer material like Viton?  I've used them with good success (two per tube), though the Herbies are better still.  

HTH...

boead

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2005, 06:34 pm »
A friend has a BAT V3i preamp that is VERY susceptible to microphonic tubes.

I suggested using the Herbie's Halos, there are 4 6DJ8/6922 in the path. He said at first they made a little difference but was still hearing some microphonics from the tubes of his choice (they being Amperex PQ’s and Bugle Boys). He called ‘Herbie’ and they suggested squeezing the ring tighter so the Halo’s grabbed onto the tube VERY hard and to position them in the very middle of the tube.
It worked beautifully! All microphonics were eliminated.

I tried the Teflon O rings and gave this same friend a few to try, they just don‘t work all that well unless they are tight. Tube diameters vary so on some they are tight and others loose. If they are tight and you put two or three onto a 12AX7 size tube, they work but the Halos are MUCH better and cost only $9.95 each.

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2005, 07:11 pm »
Like most here. My vote will also for the Halo tube damper. They work wonderfully on my Mullard 4004 (12AU7) in my Audio Note M1 pre.

You can't go wrong with them. For the price you will crazy not to try them. :mrgreen:

Buddy :thumb: