55wpc enough for MC-1?

csholtmeier

55wpc enough for MC-1?
« on: 11 Feb 2011, 10:25 pm »
I'm picking up a set of Magnepan MC-1's soon. Currently, I'm really digging my Virtue One.2/HE-6 combo. It seems like the Hifiman's really came alive once the little Tripath broke in. I like it so much much I decided to build a little 2-channel planar music/HT setup in the living room. The HE-6's have been described as being similar-sounding to the Magnepans, so of course my first thought for an amp was a Virtue.

So, I'm thinking Sensation M451 with the 30v/130w power supply. This will deliver 55 wpc. I'm not really interested in messing around with a battery setup.

Will this be enough power to drive the MC-1's?

justplainmike

Re: 55wpc enough for MC-1?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm »
Hi,

I just posted some impressions of my new MMG's with the the Virtue One.2 (130w PS).  They're sounding wonderful.  Running them full range with a sub high pass set to ~60 hz.  I think your Virtue amp will be more than adequate for the MC1's.  Do be aware that you might want to use a sub as the MC1's don't have any real bass below 80hz (one of the reasons I went w/the MMGs).  If you use a sub, you can adjust the internal jumper to have an 80hz cutoff (since those signals below 80hz won't be used anyway) and have more power directed to the upper freqs.  Not sure how convenient that would be if you're using them for headphones as well.  Anyways, let me know what you think.  There's very little info out there regarding Magnepan speakers and Virtue amps that I could find.  My combo sounds phenomenal and is a bargain (~$1000) for the whole setup.  Cheers!!

Edit:  From talking to Seth in the Virtue circle he indicated to me that the Virtue/Sensation output up to 87wpc @ the 4 ohm load your Maggies will see.