Hey Golfers....what's this 'stack and tilt' thing?

drphoto

Hey Golfers....what's this 'stack and tilt' thing?
« on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:27 am »
I've heard this term used, and seen the ad on the Golf Channel. So what's it all about? Seems to be about keeping your weight on the left (for a right hander) throughout the swing, rather than the traditional right to left weight shift, but I'm not sure. Lord only knows my swing could use a fix. Weight shift has always been my big problem. I finally figured out late last season I was sliding my left hip toward the target rather than really shifting my weight to the left.

cheers

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Hey Golfers....what's this 'stack and tilt' thing?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:14 pm »
I am sure it has elements of good swing in it.  Looking at the video of that flat swing, you would have to be pretty flexible.  If you cannot get a full turn with your arms extended, I don't think this will work for you.  It looks like an emphasis on loading your back swing so that you are more likely to come through the inside and release the club at impact.  Without a steep shoulder turn and full extension, this could be bad.  Wrong release with a flat swing is bad for your accuracy. 

Early in the season, I try to stay with a 3 quarter swing speed and pay extra attention in the hitting zone.  I get less torque (kind of like Stack and tilt) and consciously pause at the top of my back swing.  Then I pull my right elbow down to trigger a swing that will come from the inside.  On the down swing I concentrating on loading the right side  delaying the release till the last moment.  I keep my knees in and brace on the inside of my feet to provide a solid fulcrum to my swing.  The release is crisp but the follow though is long and slow.  That's what I work on and doing stretches to stay supple.   

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:30 pm »
At this point in the season (or soon to be season) I don't think about much besides trying to improve my short game. Early on my driver works miraculously, probably because I don't think about it.

It's later in the season when I start thinking more about my long game that it starts going to hell, just when my short game is starting to look better.

Bottom line - take your mind out of the game and stop overthinking too much. That's why beer works well on the course (sometimes, at least when I'm not playing well to begin with).

Bob

Brown

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:02 pm »
The stack and tilt was designed for the better player. It is a one plane swing designed to eliminate the sway, block and excessive head movement. It is NOT for everyone. As well as any method is NOT for everyone.
   it can work well with many lessons and practice. Great for the golf lesson business.  As a golf instructor and 2 handicap my advice would be FIRSt to determine if you have a one or two plane swing. Then establish a good pre shot routine to allow yourself to get into the proper posture. If your setup is in correct your swing will NEVER be consistant or on plane.
  The common mistakes we see are head down [ poor posture ] to much not allowing a proper shoulder turn. Taking the club inside on the backswing around and below the shoulder. starting the swing by rotating the shoulders first then coming over the top [ slice ], not keeping head behind ball at impact, looking up [ biggest fault ] 
  The first move to the ball is clearing your left side [ RH ] before you rotate your body through. Period end of story. Then turn baby turn through while your right hand on top to allow the clubface to be SQUARE at impact.
  Remember rule # one. Everything has cause and effect. A proper posture and address position are key to a good swing. Go to your local Pro and get set up properly really than the rest is just up to you. Practice, practice, practice. FORE! Have fun remember its ONLY a GAME.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:26 pm »
Brown, good advice. You know once I gave up on getting better and decided to just have fun, I suddenly started to get better!

viggen

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2009, 04:46 am »
I've never heard of stack and tilt, however, for a long period after my left knee ACL surgery, I didn't shift weight onto my left knee during a golf swing.  If I don't weight shift, I wouln't need to twist my left knee during backswing.  It's the twisting part that scared me after the surgery. 

I actually made more solid connections with the ball.  The ball spins fast and flies much higher than before.  However, my long irons don't travel very far.  My 7, 6, 5, and 4 irons were only about 20-40 yards apart.  My 7 only travels 130 on average.  I used to hit about 170 before my surgery.

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2009, 01:43 pm »
At this point in the season (or soon to be season) I don't think about much besides trying to improve my short game. Early on my driver works miraculously, probably because I don't think about it.

It's later in the season when I start thinking more about my long game that it starts going to hell, just when my short game is starting to look better.

Bottom line - take your mind out of the game and stop overthinking too much. That's why beer works well on the course (sometimes, at least when I'm not playing well to begin with).

Bob

Bob, you hit the nail on the head !!! ...or was that the ball in the sweet spot ? !!

Brown

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2009, 04:06 pm »
I've never heard of stack and tilt, however, for a long period after my left knee ACL surgery, I didn't shift weight onto my left knee during a golf swing.  If I don't weight shift, I wouldn't need to twist my left knee during backswing.  It's the twisting part that scared me after the surgery. 

I actually made more solid connections with the ball.  The ball spins fast and flies much higher than before.  However, my long irons don't travel very far.  My 7, 6, 5, and 4 irons were only about 20-40 yards apart.  My 7 only travels 130 on average.  I used to hit about 170 before my surgery.

Twist ? Actually the left knee [ Rt handed ] goes inward towards the right knee[ forming a letter "K" ]. When you go into your backswing the left ankle rolls in and reducesthe stress on the knee. Once your in the top of your backswing putting your left foot back to the address position is the "weight transfer " . Now once on the left side pull your left shoulder away from your chin while pushing your left leg back at the SAME TIME. You will finish on your left side and your distance WILL improve. Your knee will have LESS strain you will bang your drives. Yes I am an instructor. Have fun playing cause thats what its all about.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2009, 04:56 pm »
Brown,

You should keep giving swing thoughts every month or so.  "Pushing the left leg back" is a good one to visualize.  The bane of weekend golfer is that we can't keep the same swing week in and week out.  I feel my swing come and go a couple of times in a season.  When my swing starts to falter, I usually I have to focus on one aspect of a swing and make it a mantra to get my swing back.  I will keep your expression in mind.  I like it better than my thought of "bracing the inside" because I would have to be on my instep to "push back" against the swing.   :thumb: