TT Matt?

chgolatin2

TT Matt?
« on: 18 May 2007, 05:04 am »
Any good recommendations for a decent TT matt?  I am new to vinyl...  :thumb:

nature boy

Re: TT Matt?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2007, 01:54 pm »
I use a Boston Audio Design MAT 1 on my Nottingham Interspace turntable and like it A LOT.  It seems to reduce noise and provide a clearer presentation from vinyl.  I also use a Neuance Bad Boy stand alone shelf under the turntable.  The MAT 1 and Neuance are a very good combo.

NB

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2007, 04:45 pm »
Tuff call.

There are mats that damp your platter well...and there are mats that provide good interface with your record without overdamping.....but they rarely can be found in one.

If you have a direct drive table - damping your (oft) ringing platter is imperative for good sonics.

The best combo I have come up with now on my DD table is an Audioquest sorbothane mat damping the platter...and a Herbie's Way Excellent mat on top as record interface.  It provides the necessary attributes for good sound.

If you have a belt driver, your choice in mats is probably easier. Your platter is already well isolated by (rubber) belting....so you need to find the best mat that interfaces with your record (primarily). 

Either with belt of direct driver...damping the underside of your platter is advised and a reliably helpful tweek. Look thru the Vinyl Circle for scads of helpful TT tips and tweeks  :wink:

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 06:20 pm »
I had tooling made for a turntable mat for my AR-XA turntable. You can view the mat in my gallery. I made it out of .09" thick EPDM 4215, 50 durometer closed cell sponge (black). I also use it on my VPI. Vinyl playback is awesome on a black background. The mat is soft to protect the record surface, but supports it without over damping.

W

TABARD

• TemaadAudio
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2021, 02:06 am »
Hi, It really depends on what sound you have now & what sound you seek from your T/T. So that would be the 1st thing we need to know. also cartridge of phono amp.
You can get mats that brighten the sound & also the reverse, however mat tuning is normally thae last think you do on your vinyl journey. Me myself I use a rubber infused cork mat, suits the sound I want to achieve.

I suppose we should clarify, do you currently have a mat?

Cheers Derek

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:33 am »
You're asking someone that posted in 2007...  :lol: