Song3 Questions

defmoot

Song3 Questions
« on: 18 Dec 2019, 12:27 pm »
A few questions on the Song3s if anyone can provide them:

Who manufactures the midrange driver?

What are the footprint dimensions of the plinth, and the overall height of the speaker including the plinth?

What is the distance from the bottom of the plinth to the bottom edge of the bass driver?

Thanks.

RonN5

Re: Song3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2019, 04:07 pm »
I'd like to suggest that you email Salk directly...you will get a quick and honest reply...and maybe you noticed that there is a beautiful pair of Song3s available for sale on the trading post...not mine.

info @ salksound.com

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2019, 04:34 pm »
A few questions on the Song3s if anyone can provide them:

Who manufactures the midrange driver?

What are the footprint dimensions of the plinth, and the overall height of the speaker including the plinth?

What is the distance from the bottom of the plinth to the bottom edge of the bass driver?

Thanks.

defmoot -

When we initially developed the Song3's, the last driver we had to source was an appropriate midrange.  Since the smaller RAAL tweeter should not be crossed lower then about 3kHz, we needed a mid-range driver that was capable to performing well up past 3kHz.  A natural candidate for this would be a small (for great off-axis response) full-range driver, since they are designed for reproduction well past 3kHz.

In doing our research, we found that TangBand made such a driver.  In this case, it had a bamboo cone.  This driver worked perfectly in our tests and was chosen for this particular model. 

Soon after we began building production pairs, the US TangBand distributor quit stocking this particular driver.  While we could purchase them directly, the minimum order was 1000 drivers.  Since it would be somewhat unlikely that we could ever use this many, we searched for an alternative.  And it just so happened that TangBand also produced the exact same driver with a titanium cone.  It was a drop-in replacement.

(For customers who might feel they would prefer a bamboo midrange, we can still get them from European distributors as a $100 optional upgrade.)

The plinth dimensions are 11" W x 16" D.  The height of the speaker with a plinth is 43.5".  If the supplied spikes are used, that would increase this by 1".

The distance from the bottom of the plinth to the woofer is 9.5".

I hope this answers your questions.

- Jim

defmoot

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2019, 06:29 pm »
Thanks very much for the quick reply, Jim.

I have a somewhat difficult placement situation on one side of my room and appreciate the detailed dimension info.

If I may, are there any practical differences between the sound of the bamboo vs. titanium midrange driver? Any reason to expect slightly different voicing or other noticeable effects?

My brother has SongTowers in one of his systems. Love the sound and wondering how the Song3s compare.

Thanks again.

defmoot

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2019, 06:35 pm »
Thanks RonN5.

Saw those.

Very nice.  :)

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2019, 08:14 pm »
Thanks very much for the quick reply, Jim.

I have a somewhat difficult placement situation on one side of my room and appreciate the detailed dimension info.

If I may, are there any practical differences between the sound of the bamboo vs. titanium midrange driver? Any reason to expect slightly different voicing or other noticeable effects?

My brother has SongTowers in one of his systems. Love the sound and wondering how the Song3s compare.

Thanks again.

The short answer is, as you might expect, the bamboo would be a bit smoother, the titanium a bit more detailed.  As compared to the SongTowers, the Song3's play deeper and with a bit more "punch."  The midrange would have slightly lower distortion levels. 

- Jim

defmoot

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2019, 11:29 pm »
The short answer is, as you might expect, the bamboo would be a bit smoother, the titanium a bit more detailed.  As compared to the SongTowers, the Song3's play deeper and with a bit more "punch."  The midrange would have slightly lower distortion levels. 

- Jim

Very good.

Thank you.

birbygdad

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:59 pm »
I have the 3s with the titanium driver. The speakers perform beautifully. They do a tremendous job with everything from R&B to Brahms. The music just comes through. They run fine with modest amplification but to my ears they like the headroom a bigger amp provides. Can’t beat them nor can one do better than to deal with Jim and his team.

defmoot

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2019, 12:01 am »
I have the 3s with the titanium driver. The speakers perform beautifully. They do a tremendous job with everything from R&B to Brahms. The music just comes through. They run fine with modest amplification but to my ears they like the headroom a bigger amp provides. Can’t beat them nor can one do better than to deal with Jim and his team.

I normally listen at reasonable levels, but generally find this to be the case when things start to get frisky.

I'd be surprised if the two drivers sounded much different from each other unless compared side by side, and then only with music where it (might) make a difference.

The three different Salk speakers I've heard all sounded excellent, and two of them were in rooms with less than ideal positioning.