Name the finest pair of loud speakers you have heard

WireNut

rbbert

Re: Name the finest pair of loud speakers you have heard
« Reply #221 on: 21 Sep 2013, 01:10 pm »
Directed to the above mentioned TAS author, not the messenger rbbert.  My favorite and only favorable words ever from Modanna come to mind, "And maybe monkeys will fly out my butt."
There have been threads at other forums about that TAS description...

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #222 on: 22 Sep 2013, 01:28 pm »
That's sick  :o

Without a doubt, it's the finest system I've ever heard. In view is nearly a quarter million - way out of my league. Still, it's nice to know that such an investment can buy a system that so absolutely delivers the goods - imaging, detail and dynamics are extraordinary. I can only imagine how fantastic it would sound in a proper listening room. As much as I love my own speakers/system, I harbor no delusions about owning the best. Fortunately, the best isn't necessary for thorough enjoyment. :D

ctviggen

« Reply #223 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:06 pm »
The other problem with trying to have the best system is that it's a moving target -- as soon as you get the best system, it won't be the best much longer. I've also heard very expensive systems that I didn't think sounded that great.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #224 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:38 pm »
Well, I suppose it was a pair of Acoustat 1+1's driven by some Spectral separates and a Linn front end in a dealer showroom with a Mark Levinson recording of some choral music playing.  I remember that last part cause I bought the recording:  Mark Levinson, volume one.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #225 on: 23 Sep 2013, 03:57 am »
...In view is nearly a quarter million - way out of my league...

A quarter million here, a quarter million there...after awhile we're talking real money...
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013, 07:53 pm by James Romeyn »

abernardi

« Reply #226 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:28 am »
These Avlars... I've crowed about them before.  Not the most handsome, but the most convincing sound I've ever heard.  I actually thought I was there, it was eerie.  It's a two way, with a custom folded ribbon AMT inspired by the Heil AMT, but crosses over at 500Hz.  The extension an clarity is outstanding and the imaging is almost like a single driver.
Those metal wire screens aren't there any more

I don't own these, but I happily own a smaller sibling

wisnon

« Reply #227 on: 23 Sep 2013, 07:44 pm »
Hi Andy,

Remind me what makes up the rest of your system, please.

Donald

« Reply #228 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:03 pm »
That's sick  :o

Have to agree. Heard the Scaena system at 3 different Axpona shows and it was my favorite at every one. The sound stage was extremely deep and wide. (Room was much larger than the one depicted in the picture) You were transported to the live venue.

bdp24

« Reply #229 on: 10 Oct 2013, 01:27 pm »
The speakers that have moved me the most and seemed closest to music were Quad ESL 57 modified/brought back to better than manufacturer spec by Wayne Piquet.  Not great headroom but within it's confines, music seems true.

+1. That's why I have three pair of them, with the Koval mod. For those to whom reproducing the human voice is a loudspeaker's first and most important job.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2013, 01:31 am by bdp24 »

michaelhigh

« Reply #230 on: 10 Oct 2013, 01:34 pm »
Wilson Alexia, no less!  :thumb:

Read all about it!

http://mindseyemusic.blogspot.com/2013/09/road-trip.html

DTB300

« Reply #231 on: 10 Oct 2013, 01:48 pm »
Misson 770 and Beveridge 3's

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #232 on: 21 Oct 2013, 08:07 pm »
Vandersteen 7.  Hands down.

I own a pair of Salk Sound HT2-TL complimented by four Jeff Bagby-designed 15" subwoofers, each with two 15" passive radiators.  The HT2-TL are great speakers and incomparable at the price, as are Jeff's subwoofers (which I DYI'ed for 600.00 each).  The HT2-TL are one-tenth the price (4500.00) of the remarkable Vandy's (48,000.00), and they sound great, especially with a subwoofer or subwoofers, which further improves the HT2-TL's midrange.  I am drooling (literally) for a pair of SoundScape 8, the baby of the family.  The larger SoundScape give the Vandy's a run for their money, even at 16,000.00 v. 48,000.00.

Zybar has a pair of Vandy 5A, driven by the very finest electronics in a meticulously-treated room, and Zybar's system is the best that I have ever heard, and I have heard a lot of systems over the years, in part because my father was in the audio business, and I had many opportunities to listen to systems in week-designed and treated rooms.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #233 on: 21 Oct 2013, 08:20 pm »
TAD

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #234 on: 21 Oct 2013, 08:32 pm »
You know what, if I had the money and space for any of these outrageously expensive and usually bizarre looking rich man's toy audio systems, I would say screw them all.

I would simply make sure my large listening room had great acoustics and then book in a string quartet, jazz group, choir, or rock group to play for me live every weekend (all acoustical of course, no electricity allowed).  I bet I would save a bundle of money doing this too, and of course have way way way better sound than any audio playback system ever done at any price.

Or as one young neophyte asked me at the RMAF, "Mr. Van Alstine, what would you get if you had $100,000 for your audio system?"  I told him, well I would spend the first $80,000 on a loaded Audi R8 and then the rest to buy gas, maintenance, and insurance for it, and keep the audio system I now own, which is just fine for me and most others.

Priorities please, priorities.  Keep head on straight please.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

bdp24

« Reply #235 on: 21 Oct 2013, 10:21 pm »
One man's expensive is another man's cheap. One can find a review in which a $1,000 amp is described an underpriced and a great bargain. Amongst civilians, $1000 for an entire system is viewed as extravagant and a silly waste of money. Hell, a lot of the world's people don't even have electricity, let alone the money to buy a bargain priced amplifier to plug into an outlet they also don't have. Wives think nothing of spending $1,000 on a nice sofa, but are not amused by the husband's purchase of a $1,000 amplifier. We see $200,000 Wilson loudspeakers and Mikey's $150,000 turntable, and while I find that vulgar, Audiophileland pretends those products are just like real products only more expensive. Car magazines review the new Ferrari, but I don't know anyone who owns one (an old one, yes!). If they had the money, those civilians would view buying a quarter-million dollar car as cool, but would still find the $1,000 amp bewildering. We're all on the slippery slope of what we view as justifiable, or even necessary to achieve one's goals, Hi-Fi prices, looking up in one direction (Dave Wilson's "statement" loudspeaker and Mikey's TT) and down in the other (Bose, etc.).   

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #236 on: 21 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm »
Frank, I'm sure there's plenty of people that would rather drive a Honda Accord and have a $100k system than a cheap system and a fancy car.  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #237 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm »
Accounting for taste, sensibilities, and understanding of the physics involved; nearly all of the 'top-end' speakers have their 'issues'...

Quads are wonderful but don't do bass and have limited dynamics.

But at the end of the day, there is no perfect speaker.

charmerci

« Reply #238 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:59 pm »
Frank, I'm sure there's plenty of people that would rather drive a Honda Accord and have a $100k system than a cheap system and a fancy car.  ;)

Yup - would never spend 80K on a car - but then again, I'd never spend 80K on a stereo system either....

xsb7244

« Reply #239 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:14 am »
Who makes the finest car?  Who makes the best cake?  Your mom does.  I do not think you can limit it to one.  It is all too subjective.  People will disagree.  What speaker you like I may not include in my list.  Me, when I have the money to upgrade I will be buying a certain $2000 speaker and that will be the best for me.