DUET MOD changes

Wayne1

DUET MOD changes
« on: 14 Nov 2008, 09:24 pm »
Based on the work on the Re-Box project, we have come up with some improvements to our DUET mods.

Starting with orders placed today, all the DUET mods will include these upgrades.

We will be improving the individual power supplies that feed the DAC chip and the chip for the clock circuit.

In our listening tests, this results in quite a noticeable and beneficial improvement in dynamics and noise level.

These mods will soon trickle down to the SB3 mods.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm by Wayne1 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: DUET MOD changes
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:20 pm »
I had these mods incorporated into my Duet, I've posted my impressions in my review here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58798

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:25 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Tyson.  :icon_lol:

The "latest" mods that Tyson has, have not been added to the site yet.

The new regulators are quite an amazing improvement. I should add that information over the weekend.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:41 pm »
The latest mod changes have finally been added to the BOLDER Cable website as the DUET Enthusiast level.

In the Enthusiast level mods, additional voltage regulators are added to power the 5 volt and 3.3 volt lines. These are run directly off the main input voltage. No switching power supplies are involved.

IMHO this really cleans up the sound of the DUET over and above anything I have done before. The sound is far more analog with the clock/buffer being fed from a cleaner source.

I can add these regulators to any previous level mod. Please contact me for pricing.

loxllxol

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2009, 07:13 am »
Which mod is appropriate for me if I want to get rid of the internal switching PS in the duet, and use the digital out into an outboard DAC.  So analog mods aren't necessary for me.  Your site makes it very difficult to differentiate between the different modifications.

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:36 pm »
My apologies for the site being difficult to understand.

The DUET Enthusiast Digital mod would be the one you would want. A separate, linear regulator is installed to take the place of the internal switching supply. This supplies the clock section and the digital buffer that feeds the SP/DIF output. The output connector is replaced and the wiring to the connector is replaced with 75 ohm cable.

I hope this clears things up. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2009, 04:43 pm »
I have added a couple of additional changes to the DUET mods.

I hope it doesn't become too confusing.

I have added a Digital Enthusiast PLUS mod. This adds TWO voltage regulators to the digital only mod. This gives an even cleaner DC feed to the clock and digital output circuit.

In the Digital Enthusiast mod, one regulator was added. This replaced the internal switching supply and improved the noise level. With the second regulator, noise level is lower and dynamics even more improved. This is the same mod done in the DUET Enthusiast Full mod but without the coupling caps or analog connectors.

At this point, this is the best sounding mod for the DUET used with an external DAC. I have done a few of these mods on a custom basis and was so impressed with the sound I felt I had to add them to the website.

You can find a description and place an order here