NX-Tremes audition at GR Research (Danny's)

Rock Ball

NX-Tremes audition at GR Research (Danny's)
« on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:08 pm »
This past weekend, my brother and I traveled to Danny's place to pick up parts for my NX-Tremes and triple OB subs order.  I ordered these without having heard them, relying only on reviews by New Record Day (NX-Otticas and OB 2x servo subs) and Tyson's reviews.  Several weeks ago, my brother brought his GR Research double OB servo sub to my house so that I could hear how it sounded in my home theater.  It sounded fantastic, so I had confidence that the two triple OB servo subs would sound good.

When I listened to the NX-Tremes at Danny's, it reminded me of how one of those million dollar setups sound when it is setup really well in a big ballroom at an audio show.  I heard a grand sound stage and full notes and voices.  I was incredibly impressed and extremely happy that my decision to buy these speakers kits without hearing them first turned out to be a good one.

What was even more amazing was that all that sound was generated by Danny's 10W DIY chip amps.  I know that if "better" amps are connected, the speakers could sound even better.  This also eliminated my worry about the type of amp connected, as discussed in the reviews that I read.  I don't have that worry at all now.

Of course, Danny's system is far superior to mine, but at least I know the true potential of the NX-Treme speakers.  I feel that I will never need to upgrade the speakers once they are in my room. 

We also listened to a pair of NX-Oticas with no upgrades.  These sounded great.  I would have been happy with them, no doubt.  But when compared to the NX-Tremes with upgrades, I liked the larger sound stage of the NX-Tremes.  Also, I didn't get the sense of a "sweet spot" with the NX-Oticas as discussed in other reviews, at least not even close to what I currently experience in my home system.  When I sat in the left or right chairs next to the center chair, I thought the imaging barely changed.  I'm not worrying about a sweet spot anymore.

Danny also hooked up his Studio Monitors.  Holy cow, what great sound came out of those speakers.  My brother started thinking about buying a kit when he heard them.  If I didn't have room for the NX-Tremes or NX-Oticas, I would have bought that kit.

As a final note, my brother did business with Danny many years ago.  Danny modified a pair of bookshelf speakers for him.  We found out that the guy who built those speakers for my brother was there at Danny's when Danny was doing the mods.  I think the guy learned a few things from Danny.  Several years later, I bought the 'same' bookshelf speakers from that guy, and he told me that mine would be better than my brother's because he made a few changes.  I found this out over the weekend, so all these years that I've been enjoying those speakers, I was actually listening to improvements that most likely came from Danny.  Those speakers sound really good to me, but they are just too small for my room, which is why I'm getting the NX-Tremes.

Hope this helps some of you,
Allan

kheidenr

Re: NX-Tremes audition at GR Research (Danny's)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience - great to hear of more very positive feedback on Danny's speaker systems.

maty

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2020, 10:27 pm »
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/06/04/gr-research-dodd-audio-lone-star-audio-fest-2019/

Optimized

You need a large room and... a very understanding woman!  :D

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:31 am »
To bad you weren’t my neighbor!  Beers and pizza on me.  I would love just to here the modified NX-Oticas!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:15 pm »
Man talk about going from one extreme to the other NX-Treme! HaHa! Very cool! Thanks for the feedback on Danny's speakers. I am placing my order for the Studio Monitors for my dad today.