Advise and recommendations for multiple GR OB subs

celebrat

Advise and recommendations for multiple GR OB subs
« on: 27 Jan 2020, 11:01 am »
I happen to have 4 GR OB subs with 2 drivers each: 4 A-370 amps. I am considering some options outlined below

1. Convert to 2 -4 driver Subs. Not sure I can even do this and how would they be driven? (2 of the amps each??)

2.Convert to 2-3 driver subs and leave 1 -2 driver as is for rear of the room.

3. Leave and use the 4 subs as is (placement becomes an issue)

Along with these options I could really use guidance on how to set up (sub settings and placement as well as how to hook up) My room is approximately 16' wide by 19.5' long. Ceiling peaks in the middle at about 10.5' Room opens to the rest of the house. Speakers are set up on the short wall. Must be that way to ensure peace with family (-;

In back of the listening seat is the wall that opens to the rest of the house. It is completely open on about 1/2 the 16' and wall on the other 1/2

These subs will more than likely be used with a custom pair of very large horn loaded speakers (flat to below 35hz). although I am currently constructing a pair of NX-Oticas so you never know but I love these horns.

Thanks in advance guys for any help with this

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Advise and recommendations for multiple GR OB subs
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:42 pm »
Which 12" servo sub drivers do you have, the 8 Ohm or 16 ohm version?  That will help with the options.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:04 pm »
Also, pics of your room would be helpful.

jmpsmash

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:57 pm »
what horn can go flat to 35Hz?

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:32 pm »
Quads souinds like the best  idea  and here's why....

If you have the 16 ohm version of the  sw 12, then triples will work but youi  are left with  2x 16 ohm version...... I guess you  could  make them into a single dual in the rear  of theroom but not  2  single sealed for rear..
Actaully going this route   would be good as well, the single  dual in the rear would  be good and you  already have  dual cabinets..... I think Early-B runs  a  single dual 12 in the rear of his room and  loves it

If the 8 ohm version of the  sw12,   you  can't go triples  with them  , impedence will be too low. 

If you went with quads up front,    there are version of the A370  that will work in master slave mode so  one amp controls the functions of both on that channel. If your  A370's have this already , great.... if not,  Brian at Rythmik MAY BE  able to mod them  or you  could sell and    pick up the  necessary   versions.

celebrat

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2020, 11:43 pm »

I am out of the country right now but can post more when I return in a week. Sorry for the mess. The room is in flux.

The horns do play to 35hz but I love what the dual OB subs do for the system which is why I am inquiring about more. The bass bins are Sonicphase Jamboree with 2 x 15" Klipsch per side firing inward.  The horns are a vintage Altec 288B circa 1948 retro converted to field coils. I call them Mulcahey Horns named after Ted Mulcahey who built them. Danny supplied parts for a crossover part upgrade. A friend of mine is breaking them in as I have been gone a month. They are wonderful.

Great Question about the ohm ratings on the OB drivers. Answer is I will let you know about that when I get back home. I am not much of a DIY guy so my friend has been helping me with the NXtremes and the crossovers. Thanks for the great input here guys. Much appreciated

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2020, 03:09 am »
Sounds like you have a nice problem at hand.  My dream would be the NX-Oticas and two triple 12” OB subs one in each corner.  I haven’t been lucky enough to hear the NX’s but, I’m sure I’d fall head over heals.  So if the ohm load works then go with two triples and you could always sell me the other dual OBs. I don’t think the rear fill would be necessary but, integrated the right way could fill out the room nicely.  In two channel with a subwoofer it stages nicely all coming from the front.  I’m only say this because I’m judging by a set of duals I heard and was like triples would fill the bass line out nicer.  It all depends on power and room size.

celebrat

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:19 pm »
Yes for sure, if I have to have a problem I do like the one I am burdened with :D

I am leaning to the triple driver version if I do have the 16 ohm drivers. If not I will try and see if the quads are possible with my amps. The quads may in fact be easier to implement since I think I can get away with using the existing cabinets stacked on top of each other. Also I have limited placement options in the rear of the room. I can't wait to get home and find out.