Greatest Amplifier Designer of all time: Bob Carver vs Nelson Pass

Doublej

dB Cooper

Don’t forget the legendary Biff Pocoroba when discussing the greatest amp designer.

Was trying to place that name but I struck out.

richidoo

Neither are greatest amplifier designer of all time but both are great audio legends in promoting the hobby and their businesses

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King

Was trying to place that name but I struck out.
I think it's Scroof's idea of joke.  He has made several nonsensical post like it in the past. 

BikeFi10

Yes, very late here, but here is my experience. Bought Carver c4000 pre amp and M400 cube amp in 1980. Recapped both in 2020. 40 years before they needed work. That little cube does pretty darn good driving my Magnepan 1.7i s and doesnt even get warm after hours of high spl.
The pre amp has so many great features. Peak unlimiter, sonic holography, time delay, etc.....
Im only now looking to upgrade amp. Maybe Odyssey, Helgel, Parasound because I believe the Magnepans have more to prove with an amp upgrade. No plans to replace the pre amp.
So Bob's components have been good to me.

RDavidson

with all the garbage going around about the carver crimson 275 tube amp and its mis represented marketing on this and other high end audio boards, perhaps now isn't the greatest time to debate carver vs pass

nelson pass, his work at adcom, nak, usher, threshold and now, with his own outfit bearing his name and the first watt offshoot, speaks a lot of his designs his thinking his evolution... but he has never tried to bull shit anyone

Nelson never worked for Usher, nor directly for Nakamichi. Usher amps are remakes of Threshold amps…and apparently are not designed/built exactly like the real deal Thresholds and don’t have the same sound quality. Nakamichi licensed some of Nelson’s patented designs/technologies. That’s as far as his association with Nakamichi goes.

I’m not gonna debate who’s better. Why does it matter? :lol: I have preferences based on my own personal experiences too. Both are great designers, though one has questionable “marketing” talents. I would never argue anyone’s choice of where to spend their money either way (unless they’re truly making a mistake…like buying a piece of gear that is known to explode). I like what I like. You like what you like. That’s all. The end. ENJOY! :thumb:

Also, reading back a bit…apparently this is an old thread that got revived.…aaaaand I already said as much about Nelson’s non-association with Usher. At least I’m consistent. :oops: :rotflmao:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Another vote for the mysterious John Iverson, since I was the second person in Canada to own his Electro Research EK-1 Strain Guage cartridge and preamp. First owner in Canada was Wind Chaser.

I was going to add another Classe DR-2 pure class A power amp to go mono, it does sound better, but a friend brought in 2 John Iverson Electron Kinetics Eagle 7As. I pre paid for mine. Funny thing, it sounded EXACTLY like dual Classe DR-2s, no kidding.

Now if we can figure out what island is living on, maybe we can convince him to come up with something new.

Rocket Ronny

mick wolfe

Some say he's (Iverson) living with the fishies in Lake Havasu. But that's just a rumor. :|

rbbert

Neither are greatest amplifier designer of all time but both are great audio legends in promoting the hobby and their businesses

I doubt there will ever be a consensus about the greatest amplifier designer, but surely Carver wins the prize for greatest self-promotion.  OTOH, the long term success and admiration for Nelson Pass's products speaks for itself.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Some say he's (Iverson) living with the fishies in Lake Havasu. But that's just a rumor. :|

Some of his amplifiers were being sold after his disappearance, that raised questions for those familiar with the circumstances.  :dunno:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
nelson pass, his work at adcom, nak, usher, threshold and now, with his own outfit bearing his name and the first watt offshoot, speaks a lot of his designs his thinking his evolution... but he has never tried to bull shit anyone

There is certainly a lot of evidence on the ground that Nelson is an allstar amplifier designer. Not only a large array of commercial amplfiers but he has been very generous to the diy community and there are likely more home-made Pass amplifiers. The ACA probably represents the single most common of his spawn, the ACA mini could overtake it. I admit to being biased having a Firdtwatt SIT-3, 6 channels of ACA and an ACAmini built by Nelson himself got me.

Carver, al lot of hype, some really crappy amplifiers and don’t forget the Sonic holocast prep.

There are lots of other first rate amplifier designers, i see Bruno, Iverson, Curl, more mentioned, most designers going unnoticed. And let me mention one of my favourites, Allen Wright.

All I can say is I think Papa Pass would prefer to not be included in some 'who's greatest' and rather we focus on 'the more the merrier'.

Nelson certainly stands out by his humbleness and his generosity. The hifi worls is certainly better due to his work.

dave