Odyssey vs tubes

geerock

Odyssey vs tubes
« on: 20 Feb 2020, 09:02 pm »
Recently I got involved with tubes again.  I have a modified Musical Paradise MP D2 Mark 3 tube DAC with NOS tubes and some great caps.  I also could no longer resist purchasing a Don Sachs pre amp as I've been using the front end of an old Anthem MRX to run into my Odyssey Kismet in Stratos monos with all the good stuff.  Wonderful holographic experience with that set up.  But then, because of the tube bug biting hard, I figured I would try a few tube amps also.  Carver, Jolida, an older McIntosh, borrowed a VAC and a Yaqin.  A couple of others too, both in push pull and SET.  And in a few of them I had some nice NOS tubes to replace the sometimes less that mediocre present day stuff that comes with these things.  I simply can not find the experience that I have with the JRiver thru USB to DAC to Don Sachs pre to Odyssey all in monos, to Spatial Audio X5's.  And, trust me, I was kind of hoping I would; but it just didn't happen.  The experience I get with that wonderful tube pre and the Odyssey monos simply hasn't been beat, at least in the price range I'm looking into.  I'm able to be immersed in the music and am able to hear not only the instruments, but also the timbre and pluck of the strings, the resonance of the wood in violins and acoustic guitar, and vocals......those wonderful vocals on a well recorded music track just has the performer in the room with you.  The combination I have now is simply the best I've had, and one of the finest I've heard.  And I'm not a young man.  Kudos to Klaus for presenting a product that looks like I may be settled on for the rest of my time.  Look like I'm done with the upgrade search... at least for now.   :D :D

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: Odyssey vs tubes
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:09 pm »
Thanks for this post. I'm exploring the same thing. I currently have a Line Magnetic LM-508. Its a SET Class A tube integrated. Unlike most SET tube amps this one has balls. 48 watts per channel. However, its very large, heavy and hot. It has no issue with moderate sensitivite speakers but not sure how it would do with less sensitive speakers. Spatial X-5's are on my short list for my next speakers and I think the LM508 would be a great match. However, I'm also considering some less sensitive speakers. I also just acquired a Kismet stereo amp from Odyssey. I'm actually breaking it in now. My idea was, in time, to get a Sachs preamp and partner it with the Odyssey and see how it sounds compared to the LM-508. I'm hoping to retain the tube microdynamics, tone, holographic imaging but with more power for less sensitive speakers. Your post has me thinking I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks for the post.

hi_watt

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:24 pm »
Thanks for your post as well. I've been on the fence with either the Don Sachs, or the Aric Audio Motherlode. On the latter pre-amplifier, there is only one review, and it's from the person who requested it be made similar to another pre-amplifier called The Dude. But with that, the Don Sachs has gotten more praise than other pre-amps I've looked up, especially in that price range. I'd be looking into hooking it up with my all in  mono blocks too.

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:43 pm »
Don's pre and his kt88 based tube amp are widely praised.   And they've actually gotten better because he now uses the new Dawning series WE Plus tubes by Shuguang.  A concerted effort to build the finest tubes in the world.  Now, there has never been a chinese tube I would ever give you a nickle for, but Don says these were the finest 6sn7 tube he's ever heard.  He put them in my pre and when I got them I couldn't believe the liquid sound and how it seemed to be so 3D.  I have a feeling that there is just a synergy that works with the whole set up including with the Odysseys.  I'm tempted to order Don's Kootenay tube amp as it may be the only thing that is at a reasonable price that may get my attention away from the monos.  But you buy it you own it.  I wish someone in the Ct area had one of these I could listen too.  But I have a feeling I would just run back home to my mono mamas.

hi_watt

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2020, 06:17 pm »
Don's pre and his kt88 based tube amp are widely praised.   And they've actually gotten better because he now uses the new Dawning series WE Plus tubes by Shuguang.  A concerted effort to build the finest tubes in the world.  Now, there has never been a chinese tube I would ever give you a nickle for, but Don says these were the finest 6sn7 tube he's ever heard.  He put them in my pre and when I got them I couldn't believe the liquid sound and how it seemed to be so 3D.  I have a feeling that there is just a synergy that works with the whole set up including with the Odysseys.  I'm tempted to order Don's Kootenay tube amp as it may be the only thing that is at a reasonable price that may get my attention away from the monos.  But you buy it you own it.  I wish someone in the Ct area had one of these I could listen too.  But I have a feeling I would just run back home to my mono mamas.

Out of curiosity, what brand RCAs are you using from your Don Sachs to your Odysseys? I'm currently running DH Labs from my Adcom preamp to my Khartago mono blocks.

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2020, 06:28 pm »
Out of curiosity, what brand RCAs are you using from your Don Sachs to your Odysseys? I'm currently running DH Labs from my Adcom preamp to my Khartago mono blocks.

Anticables level 5.2

hi_watt

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2020, 11:54 pm »
Anticables level 5.2

I've been curious to hear a set of those cables. I've read a lot of good things about them.