Anybody have a Vaughn Carina amp?

jrebman

Anybody have a Vaughn Carina amp?
« on: 19 Sep 2007, 03:30 pm »
I just recently came across this amplifier, and for a lot of reasons, it looks very interesting to me and I wonder if anybody here has, or has had one, and what they think of it.

It would also be good to know what speakers you are using, what voicing option you got for the amp, etc.

Thanks,

Jim

pilot232

Re: Anybody have a Vaughn Carina amp?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2007, 03:59 pm »
You might want take a look at the discussion forum on the Vaughan Audio web site.  Most of your questions have been discussed on that forum and some of the folks who post there also post here frequently.

Another place to look is the Hornshoppe forum here.  Someone took a Carina to Ed Shillings' recent Horn Fest in South Carolina and several attendees posted impressions.

While I don't have a Carina and have never heard one, I can tell you than Eddie Vaughan is a super guy who really knows his stuff.  If you read his musings on his website, you will get a flavor of what I mean.

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:18 pm »
Thanks.  Yes, I looked over the web site briefly last night because I had spotted a mention of it on the Horn Shoppe circle, but didn't have time to read what folks said there.

I'll be going back there today to take a look arund, as I'm also interested in the cube.

Thanks,

Jim

Oceanfront

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:40 pm »
Just wanted to say that you guys should really check out the HORNS from the Hornshoppe. I purchased the HORNS and with the recommendation of Ed Schilling the CUBE and I amazed at the sound and the synergy my audio system is exhibiting.
I will probably never change back to a xover speaker again.
I currently have the HORNS with an EE M520 int amp and couldn't be happier.
A few months back I too was interested in the Carina. Even spoke to Eddie a few times great guy but decided to keep my current amp. Changed out the stock caps and power supply caps to V caps and Blackgates and now I get goose bumps whenever I sit down to listen to my system...

Single drivers are the way to go if you want to get closer to the music. IMHO These speakers just dissapear..

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:51 pm »
I had a pair of The Horns in the past, and they weren't a good match for that room, but since then I've finished my basement and now do have a room they will probably work very nicely in.

That EMM 520 amp is quite nice -- especially with those cap upgrades.

-- Jim

some young guy

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:57 pm »
hey jim,

i just finished a set of maple burl thingamaknobs for an a/c member in the u.k. who has a carina. he loves it. hopefully he'll chime in here.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2007, 07:07 pm »
I wish i did :)

Knowing Eddie, and going by rep only, the Carina probably represents the pinnacle of SE EL84 amps available today.

Eddie helped us with the design of a pair of monoblocks made with donations from a pair of Grundig consoles. These amps have embarrassed some pretty serious amplifiers.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2007, 07:10 pm »
the HORNS from the Hornshoppe....I will probably never change back to a xover speaker again.

XOs are evil :)

The EdHorns i heard were 3 generations ago (FE108Sigma) but in the right room (ie you need corners) are very enlightening.

Anyone who is interested in diying something similar to the EdHorn might want to check out http://www.frugal-horn.com/

dave

jrebman

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2007, 08:02 pm »
Ok, I now officially want one! :-)  I did a bit more reading, this looks to me like a well designed and executed amp -- with one of my favorite tubes, nonetheless.

I really didn't need to find this :D.

-- Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2007, 09:38 am »
Eddie is a very good guy.  We used to frequent the Decware forum, until he went commerical (and I gave up on the thin Decware house sound).  I met him once.  He's very knowledgeable about all audio things with tubes, has high morals, and loves music.  I've never heard the Carina, but my speakers need more watts.

I've heard The Horns several times.  Only once did I hear what others rave about them.  The rest of the time they sounded just like what non-single driver believing audiophiles would say about single driver designs.  They seem to be very placement dependent and I get "nervous" when folks have to move speakers an inch one way or the other to "get the sound right".  (IMO speakers should work anywhere, within reason, and with any kind of music.)  From the specifications and Ed's "statement of speaker beliefs" they look like the near perfect single driver speaker.  Ed himself is a wild man, but certainly fun loving if you like playing with fast motorcycles and lots of guns.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2007, 11:51 am by JLM »

giorgino1

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2007, 12:16 am »
hey jim,i just finished a set of maple burl thingamaknobs for an a/c member in the u.k. who has a carina. he loves it. hopefully he'll chime in here.

Hi All
I'm the Brit with the maple burl knobbed Carina. Very happy indeed and will be only too glad to answer any questions.
Here are my posts on the Vaughn Audio forum:
Most recent:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1362
First impressions:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442

Best regards

George

jrebman

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2007, 06:18 pm »
George,

Thanks for the links -- I read those threads and others on Eddie's forum.  It does appear to be one hell of a nice amp, and I've already spent some time talking with Eddie about the various options, voicings, etc.  I'll have to get a sense of the sound of my new speakers before doing anything though.

Your customization options sound interesting too.  I used to own a set of Horns, but mine had the Sigma 108 driver, and my room wasn't a good match, so who knows -- maybe I'll try them again someday.

Thanks again,

Jim