filling for speakers

freo

filling for speakers
« on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:35 am »
Hello
Just putting my pi speakers together and I need to find some insulation, (damping material) what do people here use and where will I find it, I live in Perth WA
Regards Roger

jules

Re: filling for speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2007, 04:21 am »
Sort of depends on how much you want to spend  :)

I used fine grade Merino Wool in mine and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

On the other hand, if you want to use something like Black Hole [available from WAR audio in Perth], it is quite expensive [Rod, if you're around, have you got an idea of the cost here?].

Depending on who you talk to, wool may or may not be a good filling but my own feeling is that there's better places to spend money than on uber expensive damping materials and different wools have quite different properties. Fine merino is a very different beast to the stuff used for carpets.

jules

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2007, 04:32 am by jules »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2007, 10:29 am »
Try to concentrate any such materials directly behind the woofer as backwave reflections come straight back out through the cone material and can be heard as midrange smearing.  I've even seen little reflectors for sale to address this phenom.  BTW this is one of the advantages of using a sloped baffle, rear loaded horns (where this rear wave reflection is a big issue), tapered pipe, open baffle, or (my fav) transmission line designs.

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2007, 11:08 am »
Hi,

Acoustic foam is pretty good and you can buy it from Clark Rubber.  Blackhole 5 is $140 per sheet and you would probably need half a sheet for your speakers.  Acoustic foam is fine in my experience.

Regards

Rod