Wiring suggestions

amdan

Wiring suggestions
« on: 9 Oct 2006, 11:47 am »
I am thinking about putting in some dedicated power lines for the audio system. Have any of you done this? Any advice? I would like to know what gauge wire to use, what sort of power points people have installed etc. Also, the name and number of a good and understanding (of audiophiles) electrician would be good too. I am in Sydney. Thanks in advance.

rabbitz

Re: Wiring suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2006, 01:21 pm »
The Australian Standards determine the wire size etc but a good idea to run an independant line from the fuse/switch box so it's not sharing with other stuff in the household. You only then have to worry about the millions you share with before the fuse/switch box :wink:

I think if you go over 10A, then the power points and plugs become non standard and have to replace them all on the gear. As far as power point types, no comment, except to make sure you have enough.

navi

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:01 am »
I've never rewired the house for my audio sysytem (dedicated line from the mains box)....though I should!

An audiophile once told me he did it with a 30 amp cable (get an electrician to do it)- and got wonderful results. I've had buyers replace their standard wall sockets with Oyaide (MAJOR improvement) - but it would mean using American standard connectors.

jules

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:36 am »
Something else that might be worth looking at would be the quality of the earth stake, its connections and wiring. Equipment "hums" are often earth related and it's handy to know that the earth line is good and the earth stake is placed so that it's deep enough as well being in soil that's dampish if possible, while not contributing to the problem.

Jules

ps amdan, thanks for the feedback from the audio meeting. The shootouts are a good idea ... cables should be an interesting challenge  :)

amdan

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2006, 08:24 am »
I've never rewired the house for my audio sysytem (dedicated line from the mains box)....though I should!

An audiophile once told me he did it with a 30 amp cable (get an electrician to do it)- and got wonderful results. I've had buyers replace their standard wall sockets with Oyaide (MAJOR improvement) - but it would mean using American standard connectors.

I was thinking of doing a couple of 30A cables. Are the Oyaide power outlets suitable for use in Australia given that we have a 240V supply? A Canadian dealer for Oyaide told me that they would not be safe for Australian use. I would like to use an American outlet since a couple of my power chords have American plugs.

amdan

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2006, 08:26 am »
Something else that might be worth looking at would be the quality of the earth stake, its connections and wiring. Equipment "hums" are often earth related and it's handy to know that the earth line is good and the earth stake is placed so that it's deep enough as well being in soil that's dampish if possible, while not contributing to the problem.

Jules

ps amdan, thanks for the feedback from the audio meeting. The shootouts are a good idea ... cables should be an interesting challenge  :)

Jules - thanks for the suggestion. I will remember to ask the electrician about that. Will you be coming to the next meeting on the 28th?

jackthecat

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2006, 09:21 am »
Furutech have great power and IEC plugs for australia and NZ. They are pricey but good. I have the IEC power connectors which are fantastic to work with - well designed... but not the wall plug... too much for my budget.

http://www.furutech.com.au/

amdan

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2006, 11:48 am »
Furutech have great power and IEC plugs for australia and NZ. They are pricey but good. I have the IEC power connectors which are fantastic to work with - well designed... but not the wall plug... too much for my budget.

http://www.furutech.com.au/

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any thing for Australian use. Did you buy directly from them or is there a dealer somewhere in Sydney?

jackthecat

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2006, 02:49 am »
I actually bought from Canada but Furutech dont like people to get product from outside their own country dealerships . Avgallery has them . I have posted a link below to their page. The plug is halfway down and is expensive I believe because its a very small market for them in Aus/NZ .  Out of my price range. I used a heavy duty plug used for industry here in NZ , some DHlabs power plus cable and the furutech IEC F11Cu (copper) plug. (The cheapest) and also not available on Avgallery. Was not expecting too much from the upgrade but heard a slight improvement and wont go back to standard power cable. There are a couple of dealers mentioned on the Furutech site but some links seem to go nowhere. I have posted questions on the Furutech site but never got any replies. Hope this helps.
Cheers - Tony

http://www.avgallery.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=10&Itemid=1

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:14 am »
why rewire for audio?
most power points/outlets have enough power for a
wide range of power applications
if do go for rewire youd need some kind of branch from
the power/switchboard panel

regards
George

amdan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2006, 08:30 am »
I actually bought from Canada but Furutech dont like people to get product from outside their own country dealerships . Avgallery has them . I have posted a link below to their page. The plug is halfway down and is expensive I believe because its a very small market for them in Aus/NZ .  Out of my price range. I used a heavy duty plug used for industry here in NZ , some DHlabs power plus cable and the furutech IEC F11Cu (copper) plug. (The cheapest) and also not available on Avgallery. Was not expecting too much from the upgrade but heard a slight improvement and wont go back to standard power cable. There are a couple of dealers mentioned on the Furutech site but some links seem to go nowhere. I have posted questions on the Furutech site but never got any replies. Hope this helps.
Cheers - Tony

http://www.avgallery.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=10&Itemid=1

Thanks for the link. I have been in touch with them. They suggested that power conditioning would give me a better result. I will try that out first.

amdan

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2006, 08:33 am »
why rewire for audio?
most power points/outlets have enough power for a
wide range of power applications
if do go for rewire youd need some kind of branch from
the power/switchboard panel

regards
George

Hi George,
Most power points don't have enough current available for the peak draws from some power amps. The Bryston people reckon that the 4B SST (300W) can try to draw 40A on the peaks. I have a 14 B ST (570W) hence my question.

navi

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:52 pm »
Amdan
I've tried the Furutech connectors. A bit smooth sounding for my taste. That's way I decided on Oyaide..... But i'm bias -'cause i sell it :lol: :lol:

Changing the wall socket to the audiograde American sockets will bring improvements.

Ivan

jackthecat

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2006, 04:38 am »
Amdan
I've tried the Furutech connectors. A bit smooth sounding for my taste. That's way I decided on Oyaide..... But i'm bias -'cause i sell it :lol: :lol:

Changing the wall socket to the audiograde American sockets will bring improvements.

Ivan

Hi Ivan
I would quite possibly have tried Oyaide when I was looking but took at least a month of surfing to find something I wanted and could afford.!!  :o  Have only found your site in the last week because of AC here.
You have some nice stuff so I will keep an eye on it. My speakers are quite bright at the moment ( a visaton vox kit thats a work in progress) so the smooth Furutech sound is good for me at the moment.  :thumb:

Cheers
Tony

jackthecat

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2006, 07:14 am »
Ivan seeing as you sell them maybe you could get Oyaide to make power plugs for AUS /NZ ? :wink:
Cheers.
Tony

amdan

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2006, 07:30 am »
Amdan

Ivan

Hi,

Is the Oyaide stuff safe to use in Australia from an electrical safety perpective? I would like to try them but am a little nervous about the safety.

jules

« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2006, 10:19 pm »
Amdan,

I'll say straight up that I'm not persuaded that plugs/power cords are all that important but I can see that your equipment can draw a high current so you have to be able to deal with that comfortably.

There's a lack of clarity here over some of the voltage issues so I hope this is not too fundamental ...

* At 240 V the current will be halved for the same output from your amp. If the Bryston figure of 40 amp is for 120V, you will be talking 20 amp for 240V.

* 240 V can achieve the same conductivity through a plug with smaller pins/contact area. At the same time it can also arc/short over a greater distance so the pin spacing/insulation is v. important.

* It's possible to buy high current 240V wall sockets and plugs.

* If you're analyzing sockets and plugs, the associated switch has to be of equal or maybe greater importance. Switches, because they have to deal with on/off current, can gradually burn out and fail rather more easily than male/female connectors that don't have to deal with this problem.

Certainly wall sockets can loosen with use and switches can fail so it's wise to make sure that what you've got is not on its last legs but ... if it's in good condition, this part of the chain should have no influence.

You can gain nothing from plugs/sockets. The best you can achieve is no loss and no interference.

Jules

amdan

« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2006, 04:47 am »
Amdan,

I'll say straight up that I'm not persuaded that plugs/power cords are all that important but I can see that your equipment can draw a high current so you have to be able to deal with that comfortably.

There's a lack of clarity here over some of the voltage issues so I hope this is not too fundamental ...

* At 240 V the current will be halved for the same output from your amp. If the Bryston figure of 40 amp is for 120V, you will be talking 20 amp for 240V.

* 240 V can achieve the same conductivity through a plug with smaller pins/contact area. At the same time it can also arc/short over a greater distance so the pin spacing/insulation is v. important.

* It's possible to buy high current 240V wall sockets and plugs.

* If you're analyzing sockets and plugs, the associated switch has to be of equal or maybe greater importance. Switches, because they have to deal with on/off current, can gradually burn out and fail rather more easily than male/female connectors that don't have to deal with this problem.

Certainly wall sockets can loosen with use and switches can fail so it's wise to make sure that what you've got is not on its last legs but ... if it's in good condition, this part of the chain should have no influence.

You can gain nothing from plugs/sockets. The best you can achieve is no loss and no interference.

Jules

Hi Jules,

Thanks for your post. It was very useful. I guess the arcing problem is why 120V outlets may be dangerous to use here in Australia.
Have you tried any of the high current wall sockets and plugs. Is there a brand you could recommend?

Thanks again

jules

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2006, 06:20 am »
Amdan,

you'd be familiar with Clipsal switches, plugs etc but they also have a subsidiary Wilco, that makes seriously heavy duty industrial stuff. In fact it's so seriously industrial that you might wonder if you'd go quite so far in the quest for a great plug/switch combo.

I suggest you interrogate the staff at an  electrical wholesaler or alternately check out the industrial part of Clipsal/Wilco ...

http://www.clipsal.com/trade/downloads/brochures/clipsal_industrial_products/industrial_switchgear

Jules

navi

« Reply #19 on: 1 Nov 2006, 10:12 pm »
Ivan seeing as you sell them maybe you could get Oyaide to make power plugs for AUS /NZ ? :wink:
Cheers.
Tony

Australia is a small market so i don't think they will bother making it for us Aussies