Speaker Repair/Service??

ipy

Speaker Repair/Service??
« on: 27 Aug 2006, 10:13 pm »
I 'm looking for someone good who could service/repair my Platinum Solo speakers located in Sydney.  Specifically, I may want the binding posts replaced with new ones & do a repair to one of the screw thread underneath one of the speakers which has been stripped.
Thanks.

jules

Re: Speaker Repair/Service??
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2006, 11:23 pm »
Hi ipy,

could you clarify the "screw thread underneath one of the speakers" statement? Do you mean one of the tapped holes in the cabinet that accepts one of the screws that hold the driver onto the box? If so it might depend on the type of fastener you are replacing. One option would be a T nut and fitting it is more in the zone of carpentry than speaker repair.

With the binding posts you could consider the very simple option of getting rid of them entirely and soldering your wiring direct to the Xover board. This removes a link from the chain and might even be an improvement.

jules

ipy

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2006, 11:43 pm »
Hi ipy,

could you clarify the "screw thread underneath one of the speakers" statement? Do you mean one of the tapped holes in the cabinet that accepts one of the screws that hold the driver onto the box? If so it might depend on the type of fastener you are replacing. One option would be a T nut and fitting it is more in the zone of carpentry than speaker repair.

With the binding posts you could consider the very simple option of getting rid of them entirely and soldering your wiring direct to the Xover board. This removes a link from the chain and might even be an improvement.

jules

Thanks Jules for your response.  Yes, the tapped holes  :) (I was earlier trying to think of the term for this) & perhaps someone can recommend me a good carpenter who has good experience in this area.

Good suggestion in the direct soldering advise but I 'm thinking to do a trade-in for a new pair of speakers early next year so I will have to pass on this one but thanks for the suggestion.

jules

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2006, 12:21 am »
ah yes ... the trade in does make a difference.

Some good photography in your gallery and some nice components.

Have a look at the insert in your box [if there is one] which has a stripped thread. You might find you can simply push it out, from the front using piece of rod and get a replacement from Bunnings [or similar]. The main problem is probably going to be access and not damaging the drivers while doing the job. I'd be a bit inclined to take them out for safety regardless of who you get to do the job.

Otherwise ... yourself, or the nearest person you can find in the Yellow Pages.

Sydney, for anyone wondering.

jules

ipy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2006, 06:24 am »
I rang a Sydney Audio dealer who sells WBT's speaker binding post & he is willing to see if he can replace/fix this up for me  :D

Thanks for the kind words about my setup/pics (Yes, photography is my other "bad"). Perhaps like others here too, there were some "misses" along the upgrade path over the years but I think I done for now  :lol: ie:.......until next time/year, new model....etc??