Famous Opera Houses you have visted or will visit.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I try to see famous Opera Houses wherever I go.  We are traveling to Prague, Vienna and Budapest in August.  Unfortunately Opera is not in season in August but I was able to book a Mozart concert in Wiener Staatsoper.  It does include an aria or two in the program.  Another check on my bucket list. :thumb: 

Timing did not work out to catch perfomances at Stavovské divadlo in Prague or Magyar Állami Operaház in Budapest but I will visit them just to see. 

Places I have been to:
Metropolitan Opera NYC
The Kennedy Center Opera House DC
La Scala Milan
Teatro La Fenice Venice
Teatro Colon Buenos Aires
Royal Opera House London
Opéra de la Bastille Paris
Palais Garnier Paris

Places on my bucket list yet to be checked off:

Bolshoi Theater Moscow
Mariinsky Theater St. Petersburg
Sydney Opera House Sydney
National Theater Munich
Margravial Opera House Bayreuth
Guangzhou Opera House Guangzhou
Civic Opera House Chicago
War Memorial Opera House San Francisco

So where have you been and where do you plan to go in the future?

randytsuch

Re: Famous Opera Houses you have visted or will visit.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2019, 07:29 pm »
Kind of, sort of on topic
We went to Salzburg, Prague and Vienna in late may, early june.
Took a tour of the Vienna opera house, its a cool place.  Didn't see an opera there though.  They do show operas on a big screen in front of the building, and put out a hand full of chairs for people to watch.  They also see standing tickets, but I didn't feel like standing for an entire opera lol.

In Salzburg we took a tour of the place where they filmed the music festival in the Sound of Music.  They have a few theaters there for music, maybe even operas.

Also saw Mozart's birthplace in Salzburg, and the Mozart museum (at one of his residences) in Vienna, the one in Vienna was nicer, more to see and more interesting.

Prague was very crowded, but I still enjoyed it a lot.  But in August its likely to be even more crowded, and hot, so be prepared.  They also don't speak as much English in Prague as western European countries, at least that was my experience.  But we managed fine.  Google translate helps.

Enjoy your trip.

Many years ago, I saw the Sydney Opera house, but also didn't see an opera there.  Very cool building.

jmpsmash

Re: Famous Opera Houses you have visted or will visit.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2020, 08:31 pm »
went on a trip to Europe over the holidays and managed to catch La Traviata at Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. The last time I visited was 30 yrs ago! And then flew over to Rome and caught Swan Lake at Teatro dell'Opera di Roma.

Both are very nice venues with great history and acoustics.

We really wanted to see Tosca at La Scala but we didn't plan ahead enough and the aftermarket tickets are ridiculously priced.

Hard to visit many places due to holiday schedule not matching performance schedule.