Is it possible to evaluate with just 1 channel?

jcarberryj

Is it possible to evaluate with just 1 channel?
« on: 4 May 2013, 01:23 am »
I have a set of ICEPower 1000 ASP mono blocks and got interested in the Hypex NC400 (hope to hear NC1200 at RMAF 2013 in Denver). In order to save money since this was just an evaluation I only built one mono block (using an SMPS600 and NC400 so just 1 channel). I have only had it in the system a few days, it works fine, there are slight differences between it and the ICEPower module but I am not hearing anything like the type of improvement I expected based on all the postings.

Am I doing myself a disservice by trying to evaluate with only 1 channel (is it even possible). I have been using a combination of a stereo mix with Hypex (L) & IcePower (R) and a single channel comparison using a mono recording.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: Is it possible to evaluate with just 1 channel?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2013, 02:59 pm »
I have a set of ICEPower 1000 ASP mono blocks and got interested in the Hypex NC400 (hope to hear NC1200 at RMAF 2013 in Denver). In order to save money since this was just an evaluation I only built one mono block (using an SMPS600 and NC400 so just 1 channel). I have only had it in the system a few days, it works fine, there are slight differences between it and the ICEPower module but I am not hearing anything like the type of improvement I expected based on all the postings.

Realistically, at that level, differences between amps will be very small. No point in expecting "night and day" differences, except in audiophile magazine reviews :)

jcarberryj

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2013, 08:39 pm »
Thanks. That makes sense and seems to be consistent with what I am hearing. The NC400 is good, different in some areas, but not a step change, at least in my system. I'd like to try a full stereo setup with them but don't think it is worth forking out for another module and PSU.

Now to find some magazines  :D

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2013, 07:59 am »
Why not build the other one and sell the pair?  They sell pretty quickly as a pair and you'll get your money back.