20 Amp Surge protector -- OK to replace with 15 amp cord?

danvprod

I just purchased a SurgeX SX-2120, which has a 20 amp cord to plug into the wall. I don't have a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my listening room. I was wondering if it were reasonable to replace the 20 amp connector with a 15 amp? I am not pulling anywhere near this much from my system (low wattage tube amp + 2 servo plate amps).

There are 20 amp to 15 amp adaptors (1' cables) and also I could get a nice industrial grade plug to replace the 20 amp that is on there: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5266-CA-Industrial-Grounding-Black-White/dp/B001V9LBSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489543820&sr=8-1&keywords=15+amp+industrial+plug

Or just get a pigtail like this: https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-1F515520-15-Amp-20-Amp-Adapter/dp/B00439KIF6/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1489540514&sr=1-2&keywords=20+amp+to+15+amp

Which has the advantage that if I ever decide to get a 20 amp dedicated in the room I could go for it.

Is this:
1) A stupid idea?
2) Worth it -- i.e. is this SurgeX unit good enough to warrant the extra effort here? I liked the specs of this because it has two banks -- I could use 'A' for all my source components that need to go on first and then 'B' for my three amps.

TIA for the help and sorry for the stupid question.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 20 Amp Surge protector -- OK to replace with 15 amp cord?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2017, 01:37 am »
This SurgeX SX-2120 is a surge protector or a power conditioning?
If only surge protector you dont need at all this device unless you will run your beloved system during heavy weather.

I even dont use any power conditioner, all they degrade the mains signal unless they are regenerators as PS Audio power plants.

The 15A cord will be safe til 10A continous, you need calc your load of use.

danvprod

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2017, 01:42 am »
Thanks @FullRangeMan -- here is the cut sheet http://www.surgex.com/pdf/cutsheetSX2120.pdf

It's surge + conditioning...

Yes, I'd like to eventually get towards a regenerator in a few years my tube amp has voltage regulation already (Decware Mini Torii) -- sub amps are DirectServo plate amps (GR Research Super V speakers).

Others are my source -- TT, Phono Pre, CD player and DAC -- so I need 7 total outlets. I don't suspect anywhere need 10A continuous.

Also looking at the PiAudio UberBuss or the PS Audio JuiceBar type devices.

I'm new to thinking about power conditioning, so I appreciate the help and opinions here -- I just pulled the trigger on this SurgeX unit, because it was available at a good deal, but I'm not married to holding onto it...

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2017, 02:03 am »
The first item you've shown, the Leviton plug is the wrong one. Its a 20 amp plug. Technically, running a 20 amp outlet device like this on a 15 amp circuit is a no-no, but then overloading a regular 15 amp power strip is too.

Why did you buy this 20 amp device when your home does not have a 20 amp outlet? At any rate, the 15 amp circuit breaker will stop you from over-loading it and the wire to your 15 amp outlet in you home.....

danvprod

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2017, 02:08 am »
Sorry, I meant something like this @Wayner -- https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5266-C-Industrial-Grounding-Black-White/dp/B001VXU4TC/ref=pd_sim_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9BFWXZRVFF5SWYS9PXV9

Honestly, it was a stupid move on my part. I won it on eBay without seeing that it was a 20-amp unit. The reason I am even considering trying to work with it is because the SurgeX stuff seems to be pretty high quality, and I was able to get this for a quite reasonable price.

I was trying to get a reality check here and see if it was worth messing around with or if it was a lost cause.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2017, 02:15 am »
Like I said, the device itself doesn't draw anywhere near the current its rated to handle, it will be fine. There is wide spread abuse of the 20 amp outlet anyway. Many power conditioners have them, while the unit itself has a 15 amp cord.????

You'll be fine.

jea48

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2017, 04:25 am »
Sorry, I meant something like this @Wayner -- https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5266-C-Industrial-Grounding-Black-White/dp/B001VXU4TC/ref=pd_sim_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9BFWXZRVFF5SWYS9PXV9

Honestly, it was a stupid move on my part. I won it on eBay without seeing that it was a 20-amp unit. The reason I am even considering trying to work with it is because the SurgeX stuff seems to be pretty high quality, and I was able to get this for a quite reasonable price.

I was trying to get a reality check here and see if it was worth messing around with or if it was a lost cause.

You will be fine if you cut off the 20 amp plug and replace it with a good quality 15 amp plug. (Note: If the unit is new cutting off the plug will more than likely void the warranty though, as well as the UL listing. That is if it is Listed.)

The power cord is 12-3. I notice the unit has NEMA 5-15R 15 amp duplex receptacles anyway. (Which meets electrical standards for connection to a 20 amp circuit. If the duplex receptacles were 20 amp then that would be a different story.)  The circuit breaker on the back is probably rated at 20 amp but I wouldn't let that bother you. In the event of a short circuit or large ground fault event the 15 amp breaker in the electrical panel will trip open. It should.

The weak link in the circuit is the wall duplex receptacle you will be plugging the unit into. I would recommend the duplex is at bare minimum a good quality spec commercial grade duplex receptacle. You can't beat a heavy duty industrial grade Hubbell 15 amp duplex receptacle. Or a 15 amp Hubbell 8200H hospital grade duplex receptacle.

For what it's worth, per NEC code, in a residential dwelling unit there is no limit to how many 15 amp duplex receptacles you can connect to a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit.

danvprod

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2017, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the detailed and informative response, @jea48. Very helpful.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:05 pm »
I would buy the duplex receptacle which the stock plug of your device can fit. Rather than cut the cord.
such as:https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Pass-Seymour-Receptacle-Isolated/dp/B01N07YBOV/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1489607737&sr=1-14&keywords=20+amp+duplex+receptacle
4 of these guys $10

I despise Leviton btw. And like Pass&Seymour. Levitron have weak as tinfoil holding power. The Pass&Seymour really grip well. and continue to do so for many years.

Anyway,most AUDIOPHILE duplex have the 20 amp plug holes anyway.
look at Furutech: https://www.vhaudio.com/acreceptacles.html Cheapest is about $70

So I say buy the fitting duplex and stick it in the wall. Then your cord fits, stock.

I have replaced all the duplex in my apartment when I moved in! With Pass&Seymour.
First off a new stock duplex has good tension in the prongs. Old duplex are typically WORN OUT, andfail to grasp the plug well.

Anyway, this is my suggestion.
Good luck.

PS I use a Furman REF20i conditioner. I replaced it's 20 amp chassis IEC with a Furutech 15 amp so I can use a stock aftermarket powercord. No problem.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:28 pm »
That would be illegal. You can't put a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:30 pm »
I would buy the duplex receptacle which the stock plug of your device can fit. Rather than cut the cord.
such as:https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Pass-Seymour-Receptacle-Isolated/dp/B01N07YBOV/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1489607737&sr=1-14&keywords=20+amp+duplex+receptacle
4 of these guys $10

I despise Leviton btw. And like Pass&Seymour. Levitron have weak as tinfoil holding power. The Pass&Seymour really grip well. and continue to do so for many years.

Anyway,most AUDIOPHILE duplex have the 20 amp plug holes anyway.
look at Furutech: https://www.vhaudio.com/acreceptacles.html Cheapest is about $70

So I say buy the fitting duplex and stick it in the wall. Then your cord fits, stock.

I have replaced all the duplex in my apartment when I moved in! With Pass&Seymour.
First off a new stock duplex has good tension in the prongs. Old duplex are typically WORN OUT, andfail to grasp the plug well.

Anyway, this is my suggestion.
Good luck.

PS I use a Furman REF20i conditioner. I replaced it's 20 amp chassis IEC with a Furutech 15 amp so I can use a stock aftermarket powercord. No problem.

And the Furutech outlets are made for 20 amp circuits.

danvprod

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:42 pm »
Thanks @Wayner. I don't want to mess with doing something that is against code. I'd rather replace my duplex with a high-quality industrial or hospital grade 15-amp receptacle and swap the plug on the SurgeX, or get a different conditioner entirely.  I was also looking at a Furman IT-REF 15, which obviously is in a totally different price bracket than the SurgeX that I have.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:11 pm »
The problem is that unless you make a short cord, you are not going to find a 20 amp receptacle to a 15 amp plug, 'cause that would be illegal. You could make one with a 20 amp receptacle on one end and a 15 amp plug on the other end. Leviton makes stuff like that, or you might be able to source the single receptacle at a local Menards, Home Depot or Lows if you have any of those in your area. Its kind of cheating, but you know you are not going to overload your circuit and you don't have to change any wiring in your house.

'ner

danvprod

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:51 pm »
This is what I picked up today at Lowe's:

Elizabeth

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:57 pm »
In the spirit of not doing anything illegal. Then changing he plug is illegal.Using a 'cheater' is just as 'illegal' (The cheater is the short cord with a 20 amp on one end and a 15 at the other.
And if the cord is legal. then is is legal only because no rule was made. It certainly violates the spirit of the rule!

I would suggest thinking of it like driving. So you never ever 'speed'? Speeding is illegal. It is dangerous, Nearly everyone (except maybe the Amish) SPEED.
I think of the 20 amp receptacle the same way.

IMO the LAW about the 20/15 rule is for electrical contractors and electricians. What you do in your own home? particularly if you know the rule, and the need to not overload the duplex..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm »
This is a joke? how would use a 20Amp plug or outlet inside a private home be illegal? A 20 ampere plug is even more robust than a 15A.

danvprod

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:09 pm »
I think we have a take a step back and think about a list of no-nos (this is my opinion, of course). Me, as the responsible home-owner has to say to myself: "self, I am not going to overload the circuit" -- and then look at what I am going to plug into the surge protector and make sure it's not going to be above 10-12 amps continuous.

Situations:
Duplex is wired 14/3 wired with a 15 amp breaker. If I put a 20 amp duplex on it, the 15 amp will break before anything happens bad to the 14/3 wire (it should).
Stupid would be replacing the 15 amp with a 20 amp duplex AND swapping out the breaker for a 20 amp. That is recipe for disaster. I am not going to do that.

Using a cheater and plugging the 20 amp cord into a 15 amp duplex seems to be the thing as changing to duplex to 20 amp (how could it not be?). Again the 15 amp breaker will trip if things get bad.

Cutting the cord on the 20 amp 12/3 wire of the surge and changing to a 15 amp plug is the same thing as using the cheater. This voids the warranty of the surge (NBD it's used and is not going to be an issue, and affects the resale value should I try to sell it -- a bigger deal).

Seems changing to a 20 amp duplex and if I decide to move changing it back to a 15 amp duplex seems like a reasonable solution. I really don't see any harm in that. Or using a cheater or changing the plug. The big no-no would be changing the breaker to a 20 amp...which I am obviously not going to do. The 20 amp duplex receptacle by itself is not going to do any harm, it's the fact that it would allow a 20 amp source to be plugged into it where the issue is. And also the possible annoyance of having to reset the breaker vs. resetting the breaker on the surge protector (since it's a 20 amp breaker on the Surge it won't likely trip before the breaker at the box.

Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way. My audio gear is the only thing plugged into this circuit and as stated in the OP, won't be anywhere close to tripping even the 15 amp.

Elizabeth

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:11 pm »
This is a joke? how would use a 20Amp plug or outlet inside a private home illegal? A 20 ampere plug is even more robust than a 15A.

I totally agree.
However if you look at the laws governing outlets in the USA electrical codes..
Installing a 20 amp duplex on a 15 amp circuit is not allowed.
However installing a 15 amp duplex on a 20 amp circuit IS allowed.

These are rules for electricians and electrical contractors.

Some folks think they are laws like US statutes.. (which they are not)

My last post comments are 'sarcasm'.. I think folks can use a 20 amp design outlet duplex in a 15 amp circuit. But I agree a electrician cannot. He might lose his license.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:17 pm »
Incredible, a very advanced country in other areas.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:26 pm »
Having recently dealt with a spat of home inspectors, even if the wiring and breaker were up to spec, it still might not be allowed in the home.

Perhaps an alternative simpler solution... why not just list your SurgeX online looking to trade the 20 for a 15?