Weed Wacker/String Trimmer Gas or Battery?

rodge827

Weed Wacker/String Trimmer Gas or Battery?
« on: 20 Jun 2013, 03:03 am »
Well, after 16yrs of loyal service my Feather Lite Gas Weed Whacker has given up the ghost.  :(
We spent many a hot and buggy afternoon together trimming up the yard, drinkin' a few brews and dreaming of having someone else doing the work.  :green:

So this leads me to the question:

Can some of the other yard masters here on AC recommend a good string trimmer either gas or battery?

I would like to go the cordless route if possible, but I'm a little leery of the performance and battery life.

Normal run time about 20mins a week.

Budget under $200.00

Thanks,

Chris

djbnh

Re: Weed Wacker/String Trimmer Gas or Battery?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2013, 04:07 am »
I use a Ryobi battery string trimmer, $149 @ Home Depot. 40V battery, I recommend that you change the string to something better once it runs out. Works perfectly, my spouse can use easily if required. Runs and runs. Plus, you can add attachments as desired.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2013, 07:30 am »
Craftsman 19.2 volt on sale at Sears for $90.99. Battery interchanges with many other Craftsman tools, like their power blower, drill etc. I bought mine a couple weeks ago. Haven't re-charged it yet.

Wayner

srb

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2013, 08:00 am »
All cordless battery tools can be frustrating if they bog down under heavy workloads.  My recommendation would be to get one of the 40V models versus the 19.2V or 24V models.  They will usually cost closer to $150 than $100, but in my opinion worth the extra money.

Craftsman, Ryobi, Greenworks and Worx all offer 40V models.  I have a Ryobi, but unfortunately I have to agree with some of the reviews that say that the Ryobi automatic linefeed mechanism can be somewhat unreliable.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2013, 09:00 am »
Have used a Toro battery trimmer for 8 years.  In the last couple of years I've noticed the batteries starting to get weaker, but can still just about get 20 minutes on one battery.  I leave one on the trimmer and the other in the charger. 

Gave up almost immediately on wifey's gas powered trimmer as we could barely get the fussy little engine to start, let alone run.  Wanna buy it (about 15 years old, cheap)?   :roll:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2013, 11:10 am »
I bought a Black&Decker 18v model a couple years ago. It came with two batteries so I start the yard with the battery in the unit and get about 80% done, then switch batteries to finish. This leaves the battery in the unit ready for the next job. I have a lot of fence trimming to do so it gets a workout.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2013, 11:34 am »
I am still running my Echo gas unit, 8 years now.  It can be a little tricky to start, but I used to race 2 stroke bikes, so I am familiar with their nature, and can get it lit up each week.

However, given my suburban surroundings, I will go cordless electric next time.  The unit I have could be used on a golf course, and for my small lot it is overkill.

My brother in law works at a small engine repair place, so it was his idea years ago, and I had not lived in this home very long at the time, so I went with his recommendation.

I like that the electrics are quiet in between trimming moments, whereas my unit is popping and spitting as I wander around the yard etc.

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:01 pm »
Gents,

Thanks for all of the great information.  :thumb:
I want to go battery cordless rather than stay with a gas unit for the same reasons, no gas, quiet, and maintenance.
However I was in Home Depot on Saturday when a guy came by looking for 24v replacement batteries for his Ryobi.
Said he had bought it last year with 2 lithium batteries, loves how it performs, but now they were both dead.  :o
Funny thing, Home Depot doesn't carry replacement batts and online they are $100.00 each.  :scratch:
This scared me a little, but I'm pretty sure this is the direction I will go.

The bump line feed on my dead unit was awful so I put a Hog(?) on it.
It's a fixed line head where you fish two 12" lines through either side and replace when they wear down.
My yard is about a 1/3 of an acre and I usually go through one line change at the 75% mark.

Thanks for the responses...keep them coming I won't be purchasing a unit till this weekend.

Chris

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2013, 01:05 pm »
I've had a Cub Cadet 4 cycle trimmer for about 10 years or so. Never changed the plug, never performed any maintenance, starts on the second pull every year. The best part, is there's no mixing fuel/oil since it's 4 cycle. The torque is amazing. I bought it at Home Depot, and if memory serves, it was less than $200. When and if it ever dies, I'll be buying another one just like it.

Bob

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2013, 01:15 pm »
I replaced my 20 year old Echo gas with a Stihl "4-Mix" model and couldn't be happier. It uses mixed gas/oil but is actually a 4 stroke engine, much quieter, lower vibration/fatigue, and starts 1st or 2nd pull every time.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2013, 02:36 pm »
Not many people encounter this problem, but if you plan on using a pole saw attachment don't get a 4-cycle trimmer.  When you hold it upside down, no matter how good the oil pickup is, it will have starvation issues.  And when I'm using my pole saw, it can be upside down for 10-20 minutes at a time. 

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2013, 02:50 pm »
I have an Echo gas string trimmer SRM-225.  Starts easy, little maintenance, etc.  It's great for a 1/2 acre or larger yard.  I prefer Echo over Stihl.  Find them lighter and more reliable.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Trimmers/SRM-225

NB

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2013, 03:08 pm »
Gents,

Thanks for all of the great information.  :thumb:
I want to go battery cordless rather than stay with a gas unit for the same reasons, no gas, quiet, and maintenance.
However I was in Home Depot on Saturday when a guy came by looking for 24v replacement batteries for his Ryobi.
Said he had bought it last year with 2 lithium batteries, loves how it performs, but now they were both dead.  :o
Funny thing, Home Depot doesn't carry replacement batts and online they are $100.00 each.  :scratch:
This scared me a little, but I'm pretty sure this is the direction I will go.

The bump line feed on my dead unit was awful so I put a Hog(?) on it.
It's a fixed line head where you fish two 12" lines through either side and replace when they wear down.
My yard is about a 1/3 of an acre and I usually go through one line change at the 75% mark.

Thanks for the responses...keep them coming I won't be purchasing a unit till this weekend.

Chris

FWIW,
Consumers Reports rated 5 battery models in this order.
Stihl fsa 65  $500  :o
B&D lst136  $170
Ryobi ry40210   $170
Core cgt400   $250
Ryobi ry24201   $160

For the record, I have a Toro straight shaft gas that has been running for 24 years.  :green:

WireNut

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2013, 03:47 pm »
Well I was planning on getting a Stihl but after reading this maybe I'll go cordless. My current gas trimmer is so hard to start if there would have been a tree around I think I would have wrapped that f#@ing trimmer around it.  :evil:  :deadhorse:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2013, 03:51 pm »
I've had a Cub Cadet 4 cycle trimmer for about 10 years or so. Never changed the plug, never performed any maintenance, starts on the second pull every year. The best part, is there's no mixing fuel/oil since it's 4 cycle. The torque is amazing. I bought it at Home Depot, and if memory serves, it was less than $200. When and if it ever dies, I'll be buying another one just like it.

Bob

:thumb: Wish I'd gone Cub. I got the Ryobi 4 cycle, nice unit in general, but.... manual calls for plug replacement each year. Luckily the plug is only $5, but who ever heard of a plug being no good after 1 year. And I'll be if they aren't right. I've pulled on the thing who knows how many times after pulling, cleaning, & checking gap, and it won't start. Put a new plug in and it fires on 2nd pull. Too weird for me.  :scratch: Can't beat not having to mix gas though. And fwiw go straight neck, particularly if you have any back problems. Seems counter to what one would think, but after my prior 2 cycle unit with the hook neck I find less bending involved with the straight.

Amazon shows a reconditioned unit for $146, and 1 new for $132.  http://www.amazon.com/Reconditioned-Ryobi-ZRRY34440-Gas-Powered-Straight-Shaft/dp/B00339TZY2/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1371743259&sr=1-3&keywords=ryobi+trimmer

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2013, 03:56 pm »
I've found that for my Stihl to work properly ethanol free gasoline is required.
I have a rather large field on a slope that only needs to be cut 3-4 times a season. I spring for the specialized fuel at the Stihl dealership for optimum performance. It's $7.50/gal. but well worth it since I only need a limited amount and it will save me $ in the long run with lower maintenance costs and peace of mind. 

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2013, 04:01 pm »
I've found that for my Stihl to work properly ethanol free gasoline is required.
I have a rather large field on a slope that only needs to be cut 3-4 times a season. I spring for the specialized fuel at the Stihl dealership for optimum performance. It's $7.50/gal. but well worth it since I only need a limited amount and it will save me $ in the long run with lower maintenance costs and peace of mind.
I use the same. Ethanol is just bad news for all small engines. I also run it dry after each use so it doesn't gunk up the carb.

coke

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2013, 04:29 pm »
I worked on a golf course when I was younger, and we used commercial grade Echo and Stihl.  After you get used that level of quality, it's difficult to accept anything less.  It would be comparable to giving up your high end audio system and having to live with something from walmart.

I recently bought a Stihl FS 130R (overkill for most normal yard work) and a year or two ago my dad purchased the FS 90.  I was hesitant to try 4mix, but the 2 stroke stihl was out of my price range.  So far I'm 100% satisfied with it.  I initially used it to cut a mountain bike trail in a very wooded area with lots of underbrush, and now use it weekly on my yard.  Starts first or 2nd pull, very quite, and has plenty of power.  Build quality is excellent and I expect to get many years out of it.  I ride 2 stroke dirt bikes, so mixing oil is nothing new for me.  The design also allows it to run upside down without any issues.

Ethonal free gas with the best Stihl oil seems to be the best combo for these units. Stihl also had a program that extended the warranty another year if their synthetic oil was purchased with the trimmer.

Check out the forum lawnsite.com   Lots of good info on there

rodge827

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm »
My current gas trimmer is so hard to start if there would have been a tree around I think I would have wrapped that f#@ing trimmer around it.  :evil:  :deadhorse:

Did that already...still won't start!  :green: