One of my Vandersteen 2c with very low sound

aramirez626

One of my Vandersteen 2c with very low sound
« on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:07 pm »
HI all, I am new to this forum and was hoping someone can help. I am depserate. I have a set of Vandersteen 2cs and they were playing very well for a while. One day I noticed one has very low sound coming from it.  I opened it and all connections look fine. I switched the speaker to right and left and the issue followed the speaker so I know it is not the receiver. I hooked the speaker up to another reciever and the same issue. Has anyone run into this? Any ideas what it might be or how to fix?

Thanks for any help!

aramirez626

Re: One of my Vandersteen 2c with very low sound
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2012, 06:41 pm »
UPDATE - I found a local tech and he determined that the 8" woofer needs to be recoiled. My three options are the following and I am looking for advice from the group:

1) Have the tech recoil the driver
2) Send the driver back to Vandersteen to have it rebuilt
3) Buy a set of closely matched drivers that are not Vandersteen (no longer available)

My inclination is between 1) and 2) because I don't know if there are drivers out there that would be close enough to match the originals and complement the other drivers and overall speaker profile. Just want t get the group's feedback. Thanks for any guidance!

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2012, 11:33 pm »
 aramirez626 for about 115 dollars vanderstand will rebuild one 2ce woofer.  This was 6 years ago.  So it will cost you about 300 with shipping included.
There is another choice which you did not list
order a box from vandersteen and send the whole pair loud speakers back to vandersteen for 400 via fedex and all problems with your model 2 will be fixed that is all drivers and crossover will be rebuilt for a fee.  A much better option

Tcaster

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:52 pm »
Or keep your eye out for another pair for about 300 on the used market. :thumb: