Filling the speakers stands

jostber

Filling the speakers stands
« on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:02 pm »
I have not gotten as far as filling the Sound Anchor speaker stands for my 2Ce SigII's yet. Does this has much effect on the sound or is it just a small upgrade?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Filling the speakers stands
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2012, 10:15 pm »
jostber, I have no experience with V'steen 2s nor Sound Anchor stands.  I have had other hollow-tube speaker and equipment stands, and I filled those tubes with #8 lead shot.  (I had lots left from my former shotshell-reloading life.)  Here's my current much-improved Sanus equipment rack.

The white circles are plastic plugs filling the holes I drilled to be able to fill those particular hollow sections.

I know that all the filled tubes rung VERY little compared with the empty tubes, and I feel that filling them was worth the effort...but I don't know that. 
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2012, 09:12 pm by jeffreybehr »

Maceo23

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:54 am »
Go out and get yourself some lead shot.  It indeed make a noticeable difference.  At least it did in my 2ce sigs.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2012, 04:27 pm »
As an alternative to lead shot, washed sand, the type used for kids' sandboxes, is good and in some ways better. IMO it damps vibration just as well, there are no toxicity risks, you don't have to worry about disposing of the lead shot when you sell/move/dispose of the stand and I believe sand is also less expensive.

brogoff

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:54 am »
I have the Sound Anchor stands for my 2CEs. I want to fill them with sand but I only have three of the six required end caps. The ones I have are black plastic and don't fit well enough to keep sand from leaking out. Has anyone found a good substitute for missing end caps?

jostber

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2012, 05:07 pm »
Thanks fellas. I will get me some sand to fill the Sound Anchors. I have also removed the spikes from the Anchors and placed them on two Townsend Stella Stands to reduce vibrations down into the wooden floor.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2012, 05:10 pm »
No experience with Sound Anchors. But clay kitty litter was recommended to me for my Skylan stands. Be sure you get unscented (available at Walmart) and that you can plug any holes (the clay kitty litter can be a bit dusty).

DeadFish

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2012, 08:00 pm »
I had great effect from lead shot in my Vandie 2ci speakers!  Made considerable difference, in my humble opinion. 
(I believe that the fear-mongers regarding lead are over-rated, as long as one retains their sense about things.  There is much less lead in the world that we interact with now, than when I grew up.)  By all means, use more benign materials should you want though.  The importance is that mass helps bond the thing to the floor, as best as I could tell.
Good luck!

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2012, 09:32 pm »
I play with lead all the time. You have to eat it or breath in the fumes from molten lead for it too hurt you. ie you have to ingest it. So, keep your damn fingers out of your mouth when filling your stands. Wash your hands well when done. It is far, far superior to sand for ballast.

Doc