Decware SE84UFO almost done!

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Re: Decware SE84UFO almost done!
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:11 pm »
I think the Bifrost Multibit would be a great choice, as would the Resonessence Lab Concero HD.

Yeah, I have read and seen some real good reviews on the Multibit. I think that is the direction I am leaning towards. That means my Modi 2 Uber will be going up for sale. Any takers? LOL  :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2016, 07:14 pm »
As little as the Modi 2 Uber cost, and what you would get for it, I would keep it for a second system, or desktop system. 
Save you buying all over again should you need another DAC.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:15 pm »
As little as the Modi 2 Uber cost, and what you would get for it, I would keep it for a second system, or desktop system. 
Save you buying all over again should you need another DAC.

Yeah, I most likely will do a system in my bedroom, have the DAC and the amp, still have the Fleawatt TPA-3116.  :D

My next question is, are there dac's with a remote control that I can use to turn the volume up and down and just leave the volume knob on my Decware at a certain point and never touch it?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:26 pm »
One way to do it is control your volume at the computer/iPod/iPad/iPhone/Android level.  If your server is a computer, most phones etc can be used as a remote and more, either through Bluetooth or WiFi.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2016, 11:16 pm »
One way to do it is control your volume at the computer/iPod/iPad/iPhone/Android level.  If your server is a computer, most phones etc can be used as a remote and more, either through Bluetooth or WiFi.

Okay so how I am running my multimedia set up is as follows. Games, BLU-RAY and Spotify comes from my PS4, I run an HDMI from my PS4 to my Smart TV. I then run an optical cable from my tv to my dac. I run Netflix from the app on my smart tv because that is the only way to stream 4k. I run my cd player directly into the Decware. As far as server, computer or anything like that, I don't have one. I use my smart phone and tablets. I have been meaning to buy a laptop or mac but I haven't yet. So with all that said. What would be your suggestion? And what would be my next step in getting the best possible sound out of my set up? The best I am hearingright now comes from my Denon DVD-955.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:51 am »
The best I am hearing right now comes from my Denon DVD-955.
Forgive me Jeff if I didn't totally follow your connectivity explanation regarding your TV etc.  I am a hard core audio dude and have no TV, so I'm sort of clueless in that area.  If your DVD-955 is out performing your Modi 2 Uber that should be an indicator the Modi 2 is not being properly fed.  I feed my DACs with a MacBook that is optimized for music via a Cardas Clear USB cable.  My player is iTunes with Pure Music plug in.  If you have an iPhone etc you can control the MacBook via Bluetooth (preferred), or WiFi.

You also mentioned when running your Modi 2 into your SE84UFO that you have to pin the volume.  That should not be.  Even with 1.5V from the Modi 2 you should not have to pin the volume - not even close.  I suspect something upline from your DAC is holding things back.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2016, 04:51 am »
Forgive me Jeff if I didn't totally follow your connectivity explanation regarding your TV etc.  I am a hard core audio dude and have no TV, so I'm sort of clueless in that area.  If your DVD-955 is out performing your Modi 2 Uber that should be an indicator the Modi 2 is not being properly fed.  I feed my DACs with a MacBook that is optimized for music via a Cardas Clear USB cable.  My player is iTunes with Pure Music plug in.  If you have an iPhone etc you can control the MacBook via Bluetooth (preferred), or WiFi.

You also mentioned when running your Modi 2 into your SE84UFO that you have to pin the volume.  That should not be.  Even with 1.5V from the Modi 2 you should not have to pin the volume - not even close.  I suspect something upline from your DAC is holding things back.

The Denon is actually a pretty good rebook player and is outstanding with SACD playback. I am only using it for audio. It's also known as the Denon DVD 2910. The 955-S branding is simply because it's silver. Anyway going back to the dac. I agree. Something isn't right somewhere. I shouldn't have to turn the Decware all the way up.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #27 on: 9 Jun 2016, 05:01 am »
I am also contemplating getting an Oppo BDP105 Darbee edition and using it as a dac and pre-amp. I can stream Tidal right from it, play my cd's and SACD's as well. I am also thinking about going with a 5.1 or even 7.1 home theater. I don't think I will have the luxury of having a dedicated 2 channel set up and home theater so my system will serve for multiple purposes.

finsup

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jul 2016, 10:34 pm »
The Oppo BDP-105's DAC is very good.  Based on what you are attempting to do, this is the route I would choose.  I believe it outputs over 2 Vrms.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:26 am »
The Oppo BDP-105's DAC is very good.  Based on what you are attempting to do, this is the route I would choose.  I believe it outputs over 2 Vrms.

Yeah. The Dac in the Oppo is pretty nice. I got to demo one in my home for a couple of weeks and loved it. And I am pretty sure that Tidal is an app installed on the player. Which is huge because I want to start using Tidal. But now I am going to wait because I want to see how this entire MQA streaming from Tidal is going to work out.  Seems like the end of all the high resolution confusion.  But that is an entirely different discussion. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #30 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:30 am »
But back to the original  topic. Decware  + Omega is pure audio nirvana! After over a month of listening.  Things are really coming to life and I am hearing my music like I have NEVER heard before. That's a good thing!  :D When I get time, I want to post a review and pictures. 

jorgen

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jul 2016, 06:40 pm »
I use Tidal Hi-fi and I find it to be great for digital use. 30$ a month including downloading for off line use. My solution is a Sonos wireless box and digital out to a dedicated dac and hooked to amp. Works close to perfect from Android and IPhone and can adjust volume from all devices. Can't compare to vinyl and a good riaa. But for nearly all but dedicated listening sessions it's a no-brainer solution.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #32 on: 5 Jul 2016, 11:59 pm »
I use Tidal Hi-fi and I find it to be great for digital use. 30$ a month including downloading for off line use. My solution is a Sonos wireless box and digital out to a dedicated dac and hooked to amp. Works close to perfect from Android and IPhone and can adjust volume from all devices. Can't compare to vinyl and a good riaa. But for nearly all but dedicated listening sessions it's a no-brainer solution.

You pay $30 a month for Tidal HI-FI? I thought it was only $19.99? And is the Tidal Hi-Fi service that much better than Spotify Premium? The next step I see that Tidal is taking is by introducing MQA streaming. Which stands for Master Quality Authentication. It's supposed to be better than High Res but there are conflicting articles in regards to this.

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2016, 12:32 am »
You pay $30 a month for Tidal HI-FI? I thought it was only $19.99? And is the Tidal Hi-Fi service that much better than Spotify Premium? The next step I see that Tidal is taking is by introducing MQA streaming. Which stands for Master Quality Authentication. It's supposed to be better than High Res but there are conflicting articles in regards to this.

MQA isn't better than native hi-res files. MQA is a file compression and decompression format....which is great for streaming. It's a great stop gap while we await for the infrastructure to catch up and allow high speed streaming of uncompressed native hi-res formats. You should read a bit more about MQA. The problem is basically licensing. A lot of people (and manufacturers) don't want to be "forced" into buying another format. Some people love the idea. The folks at Meridian are smart. Think about what would've happened had the inventor of the mp3 marketed and licenced the format. And look at where we are today. People still listen to garbage mp3's. If MQA builds momentum, it could be the next mp3 (though obviously much better).

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2016, 04:34 am »
MQA isn't better than native hi-res files. MQA is a file compression and decompression format....which is great for streaming. It's a great stop gap while we await for the infrastructure to catch up and allow high speed streaming of uncompressed native hi-res formats. You should read a bit more about MQA. The problem is basically licensing. A lot of people (and manufacturers) don't want to be "forced" into buying another format. Some people love the idea. The folks at Meridian are smart. Think about what would've happened had the inventor of the mp3 marketed and licenced the format. And look at where we are today. People still listen to garbage mp3's. If MQA builds momentum, it could be the next mp3 (though obviously much better).

I am just trying to figure out the best way to enjoy my new Omega/Decware combination.  Would there be a sonic difference between using my current PS4 as a source to stream Spotify compared to buying something like a Sonos and using that as my music source to my dac? Or since I already use my PS4 to stream music would Sonos be a waste of money?  And is Tidal better quality than Spotify?  Sorry. I know these questions have gotten way off the topic of my original post.  I am just trying to figure out the best possible way to get a good audio signal to my dac amp and speakers.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:04 pm »

mrvco

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:38 pm »

How soon we forget... There were two competitors to MP3 that did follow the proprietary marketed and licensed path: WMA and RealAudio.

mrvco

« Reply #37 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:44 pm »

Not better than say FLAC, just lower bit-rate (lossy) with supposed verifiable provenance (required licensing for production, distribution and playback).

tdogzthmn

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2017, 02:27 am »
Just curious of there are any updates on this thread.

I've been eyeing a SET for sometime in the future depending on how well my Sansui 517 drives my new Omega's when they arrive.