Do headphones dream of electric sheep?

TheChairGuy

« on: 28 Aug 2004, 06:08 pm »
Actually my question is, do headphones require break-in time?
New speakers do, to be sure, but do new headphones?

I'm not so sure, myself, tho I'd think they should.  My 2 driver, canalphone,  Westone UM2's don't sound any different now (at about 100 hours) then the first instance I played them.  Nonetheless, I have them 'burning in' another day or two to see.

They sound fine (maybe even great with the right source), but I hear no difference with them after 100 hours.

Anybody care to weigh in on the subject :?:

Figo

« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2004, 06:27 pm »
I never believed in break-in until I used my HD600s for a few hundred hours.  the change was HUGE.  At first the sound was great, a little raspy and light in the bass however.  Over the next few weeks the sound went from crystal clear phenomenal to slow craptacular muddyness.  Eventually it just stopped changing and stayed fantastic.  No change since, at least 600 hours on them now.(I leave them on everyday when I goto school, since they make little noise)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2004, 04:01 am »
A few hundred hours  :o

Okay, I read that and plugged my Westone's in for another few days of cookin'.  We shall see......

bhd812

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2004, 03:13 pm »
burn in as I like to call it is really fun and amazing to hear over time. unlike cdp's which blow in the burn in period, cans usually let out some hidden treasure's

the 325's and the ps-1's did some big changes over time, esp the 325's