Any "inexpensive" amps to power HT3s?

mick wolfe

Re: Any "inexpensive" amps to power HT3s?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2019, 05:32 pm »
I use a Classdaudio SDS 470C as "summer" amp. Its been a great option for me especially when used with non tube friendly speaker designs. I recommend  the upgraded power supply version which currently sells for $795. 300/600 WPC with an audition period offered.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2019, 12:36 pm »
I drive my Soundtowers with a Rogue Sphinx and find it to be a great match. New these are a bit over your budget but they come up from time to time on the used market which is how I found mine well under a grand. Try to find a V2 which has a better phono stage and supposedly a quieter background. Mine is a V1 though and I'm very happy with it. Also, the stock JJ tubes are very good in this amp. I've tried rolling in pricier Mullards but IMO they are not worth the cost. Rogue did a great job voicing the amp around the JJ's.

The HT3 that he's powering are considerably less efficient than your Songtowers, (84 dB vs 88 dB) and I don't think the Sphinx's 100 wpc will drive them like they need to be driven.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2019, 01:34 pm »
A friend had a Sphinx that was insufficient to drive a pair of GR N3 speakers.  They act more like 25 wpc than their rated 100

hi5harry

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2019, 02:47 pm »
One more vote for the Mivera amp. I am using several of them in different systems, most which had tube amplification, and don't feel like I am missing anything. An AudioMagic fuse and a nice power cord really help, and I noticed a nice bump in sound quality when I use balanced interconnects. Another big plus is these amps idle at almost no current, but turn on when presented with a signal. That allows these amps to be hidden and not take up rack space. I'm using them as mono amps, and can therefore put an amp right behind each speaker with only 3 feet of speaker cable.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2019, 07:01 pm »
Thanks, all. I had to put this on the back burner for now, as we lost three people at my job (I'm buried, working weekends) and I just found out my mother has pancreatic cancer.  I also emailed Jeff Rowland, and they (Jeff himself?) told me what to look for to help them analyze what is wrong.  With all that's going on, I haven't had time to do that.  I have a 3 day weekend this weekend, and while I'll work one of those days, I plan to take two days off. So, I might be able to open the amp and see what's up.  I have to do it this weekend, as once my mother starts chemo, I think I'll be helping her. 

Ace Deprave

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2019, 02:03 am »
Oh man, I hate to hear that. Prayers and good vibes to you guys.