STA-9

maty

Re: STA-9
« Reply #20 on: 7 Feb 2016, 10:12 am »
I want naked!  8)

Thanks to the Nuprime ST-10 and the ferrites (speakers and RCA/XLR) inside:

I decided to add a RFI Würth 150 kHz ferrite in my KEF Q100 monitors. First with the two cables and finally only the woofer cable, and I have better sound. I have to buy more ferrites to check for improvement in my others loudspeakers, and I will try with two ferrites too.

-> http://aficionados.foroactivo.com/t342p15-kef-q100-uni-q-bookshelf-speakers-5-25-coaxial-with-front-bass-reflex#16089 Spanish

To English:

-> https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Faficionados.foroactivo.com%2Ft342p15-kef-q100-uni-q-bookshelf-speakers-5-25-coaxial-with-front-bass-reflex%2316089&edit-text=&act=url

Like you, I use more Schaffner RFI/EMI filters in my systems, but outside:

to a friend:

maty

« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2016, 01:57 pm »
[Review] The NuPrime STA-9 Stereo Power Amplifier

-> http://totallywired.co.nz/nuprime_sta_9.html

This also leads to another scenario which is actually the best of all. The new NuPrime HPA-9 has dual outputs and this is partnered with a seriously capable analogue preamplifier section. This is where you find out just how capable the STA-9 is - the improvement in dynamics and overall goodness is quite remarkable. At this point I think yes - this is at the same level as the ST-10. You have more power and the benefits of separating bass and treble and also two power supplies. This makes up for some specification advantages in the bigger amplifier and provides a fantastic listening experience. Given the extra cabling, you'll end up at about the same end cost as an ST-10 but what this does enable is an upgrade path (which is quite likely to be improved upon as time goes on).

So - in summary - if you start with a NuPrime STA-9 power amplifier in any scenario, you can progressively upgrade like this.

1. STA-9
2. Second STA-9 added, switch both to bridged mode
3. Add a second set of speaker cables and interconnects, switch back to normal mode and bi-amp
4. Add a high quality preamplifier.

Question: Has HPA-9 a remote control?

rustydoglim

« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:32 pm »
HPA-9 does not have a remote.

ChuckT

« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2016, 02:23 pm »
I want naked!  8)

Thanks to the Nuprime ST-10 and the ferrites (speakers and RCA/XLR) inside:

I decided to add a RFI Würth 150 kHz ferrite in my KEF Q100 monitors. First with the two cables and finally only the woofer cable, and I have better sound. I have to buy more ferrites to check for improvement in my others loudspeakers, and I will try with two ferrites too.

-> http://aficionados.foroactivo.com/t342p15-kef-q100-uni-q-bookshelf-speakers-5-25-coaxial-with-front-bass-reflex#16089 Spanish

To English:

-> https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Faficionados.foroactivo.com%2Ft342p15-kef-q100-uni-q-bookshelf-speakers-5-25-coaxial-with-front-bass-reflex%2316089&edit-text=&act=url

Like you, I use more Schaffner RFI/EMI filters in my systems, but outside:

to a friend:

Why do you need to add another RFI/EMI to you electrical input, as you can see, there is already one inside the ST-10?
I also found it odd that you can improve the sound by adding such a high frequency inductor to you speaker. 150khz is really out of the audio range.

ChuckT

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2016, 02:25 pm »
HPA-9 does not have a remote.
Could you please please post an inside photo of the STA-9 and Dac-9. Thanks.

maty

« Reply #25 on: 1 Mar 2016, 03:09 pm »
Because I have a terrible mains: a lot of ripple, RF/EMI and up to 3 Vdc!!!! And RFI/EMI in the air too.

Fed up with poor sound quality decided to investigate and gradually have been finding solutions.

-> http://aficionados.foroactivo.com/t197-usb-isolator-ifi-iusb-vs-teradak-u9va-teralink-adum4160-filtros-schaffner-lampizator-ac-filter-diy-esa-silk-estabilizador-regulador-de-tension-voltaje-isolation-balanced-transformer-dc-blocker-blocking-pc-silencioso-en-aussar-variac

To English -> https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Faficionados.foroactivo.com%2Ft197-usb-isolator-ifi-iusb-vs-teradak-u9va-teralink-adum4160-filtros-schaffner-lampizator-ac-filter-diy-esa-silk-estabilizador-regulador-de-tension-voltaje-isolation-balanced-transformer-dc-blocker-blocking-pc-silencioso-en-aussar-variac&edit-text=

My second system.

RFI/EMI Schaffner filters + Würth 150 kHz ferrites (power and RCA cables) and DC & Ripple Blocker to ALL SYSTEM.

I have:

1 Shaffner + 1 Würth ferrite => Power Strip => DC & Ripple Blocker (4 outputs, in star) =>

=> 1 Schaffner -> AV Marantz SR 4500

=> ifi iCAN

=> 1 Schaffner -> PC (with Bequiet! L8 400 PSU: 5mV/10mV ripple in 5V – USB)

1 Schaffner + 1 Würth 150 kHz -> old 17″ Hitachi CRT monitor (1998), with very good image!

PC => 1 Würth 150 kHz (two rounds) in cheap USB cable -> ODAC =>

ODAC -> RCA cable with 2 Würth 150 kHz ferrites -> ifi iCAN

ODAC -> RCA cable with 2 Würth 150 kHz ferrites -> AV Marantz SR4500

And now, in my KEF Q100 speakers, a Würth 150 kHz ferrite ONLY in woofer cable.

Then add in the rest of the house until the maximum attenuation without loss of dynamic.

Three Würth 150 kHz 8 mm ferrite = One RFI/EMI Schaffner FN9244 3A filter, in attenuation.

maty

"I also found it odd that you can improve the sound by adding such a high frequency inductor to you speaker. 150khz is really out of the audio range."

-> http://aficionados.foroactivo.com/t197p225-usb-isolator-ifi-iusb-vs-teradak-u9va-teralink-adum4160-filtros-schaffner-lampizator-ac-filter-diy-esa-silk-estabilizador-regulador-de-tension-voltaje-isolation-balanced-transformer-dc-blocker-blocking-pc-silencioso-en-aussar-variac#16147

-> -> http://www.absolutesound.com.sg/media-features/why-did-teac-use-the-ak4490-dac-in-the-ud-503/

Lowering OUT of band noise contributed to sound quality improvement. In the graph above, the blue section indicates the values of DACs manufactured by another company, and the pink section indicates values of DAC made by AKM...

Würth 150 kHz ferrites and RFI/EMI Schaffner filters to attenuate OUT of band noise too!

DC Blocker x2, x4 with BIG EPCOS: to attenuate IN of band (audio) noise, aka ripple.

rustydoglim

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:07 am »
Good info. You're very welcome.

KLH007

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2016, 04:23 pm »
Sound quality wise ST-10 is still better. But again, if you prefer more warmth, you might prefer STA-9.

See the amp comparison: http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/reviews/amp-comparison.html

That chart still has the ST-10 sounding cooler than an IDA-16?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #30 on: 13 Mar 2016, 04:30 pm »
That chart still has the ST-10 sounding cooler than an IDA-16?

That's not how I read the chart. The ST-10 and the IDA-16 are in the same cell. At the top of the chart is the line "Models that are in the same cell are ranked the same." Therefore, they are ranked the same. Rustydog could just as easily have placed the ST-10 above the IDA-16 in that cell with no change in meaning, no?

KLH007

« Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2016, 06:19 pm »
That's not how I read the chart. The ST-10 and the IDA-16 are in the same cell. At the top of the chart is the line "Models that are in the same cell are ranked the same." Therefore, they are ranked the same. Rustydog could just as easily have placed the ST-10 above the IDA-16 in that cell with no change in meaning, no?

You are correct, but in his other comments he places the ST-10 somewhere between the IDA-8 and IDA-16, not in the same category? Having heard them both, I hear the ST-10 as less lean compared to the IDA-16. The standard of "neutral" is being skewed toward what many, including me, would call threadbare or harmonically leached, IMHO.

mresseguie

« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2016, 01:27 am »
You are correct, but in his other comments he places the ST-10 somewhere between the IDA-8 and IDA-16, not in the same category? Having heard them both, I hear the ST-10 as less lean compared to the IDA-16. The standard of "neutral" is being skewed toward what many, including me, would call threadbare or harmonically leached, IMHO.

For clarity, you have heard both ST-10 and IDA-16(?), or IDA-8 and IDA-16? [still waking up/no coffee yet]

With luck and, perhaps, a little begging I hope to audition the ST-10 [Edit: (or possibly dual STA-9s)] in my system in another 5 weeks or so. I've been curious about the ST-10 for several months now.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2016, 04:14 pm by mresseguie »

KLH007

« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2016, 03:56 pm »
For clarity, you have heard both ST-10 and IDA-16(?), or IDA-8 and IDA-16? [still waking up/no coffee yet]

With luck and, perhaps, a little begging I hope to audition the ST-10 (or possibly dual STA-8s) in my system in another 5 weeks or so. I've been curious about the ST-10 for several months now.

I have not heard the IDA-8, but I have listened to the IDA-16 and ST-10, as well as the Bob Smith ST-10 SE mod. I'm listening to the overachieving pair of STA-9 & DAC-9 currently. Ranking the amps, in comparison to each other, the IDA-16 is on the cooler side, STA-9 warmer, and ST-10 in the middle. The differences are small but discernable, and since the NuPrime engineers can "dial in" the amount of warmth (add even harmonics ) as mentioned in this thread, you can choose your own desired temperature. I will say that if you don't find the Sabre chip DACs to be your cup of tea, the DAC-9 is a perfect foil, less incisive, yet still detailed, allowing less than perfectly recorded music very enjoyable, and a real bargain. Paired with the STA-9, they are doing a superb job in my system, great values can be found in High End audio.

mresseguie

« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2016, 04:19 pm »
007KLH,

How would you characterize the differences between the stock ST-10 and the modded ST-10?

I was curious enough about those mods that I contacted Bob recently about my possibly modding a component. It's still a consideration.

Michael

KLH007

« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm »
007KLH,

How would you characterize the differences between the stock ST-10 and the modded ST-10?

I was curious enough about those mods that I contacted Bob recently about my possibly modding a component. It's still a consideration.

Michael

Michael, I have heard the SE, but not made any comparisons to any other amps. At the Mini CAF in Rockville, a cold and thrown together system with LaScala, AQUA pre, ST-10 SE, Dana cables (new & no burn in), and GT Audio Works GTA 2.5 speakers, after 2 hours the system began to sing, but no other amps were put into the system before breakdown. I hope to have a chance to compare the SE to a Wells Akasha soon. Call or email Mark Sossa at Well pleased A/V more more impressions about the ST-10 SE.

JackD

« Reply #36 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:36 am »
Michael I have the IDA-8 and also the DAC-10/ST-10 combo. To me their sonic signatures are pretty different.  The 8 is definately on the warm side, while I find the 10 combo to pretty neutral.  My source who has had all three in the same system said that the 16 was more to the lean side than the 10.  The 9 is supposed to be between the 8 and 10.  I had found a great deal on an "as new" 16 and was considering it until the lean description came up which I later confirmed with another owner.  An interesting combo might be the DAC-9 and ST-10.  Like Kemper said talk to Mark at Well Pleased as he has tried most of the Nuprime combos in his system.

KLH007

« Reply #37 on: 15 Mar 2016, 02:21 am »
Michael I have the IDA-8 and also the DAC-10/ST-10 combo. To me their sonic signatures are pretty different.  The 8 is definately on the warm side, while I find the 10 combo to pretty neutral.  My source who has had all three in the same system said that the 16 was more to the lean side than the 10.  The 9 is supposed to be between the 8 and 10.  I had found a great deal on an "as new" 16 and was considering it until the lean description came up which I later confirmed with another owner.  An interesting combo might be the DAC-9 and ST-10.  Like Kemper said talk to Mark at Well Pleased as he has tried most of the Nuprime combos in his system.

Jack, For many the bang for the buck combo is as you mentioned, DAC-9/ST-10, synergistic duo.

JackD

« Reply #38 on: 15 Mar 2016, 02:27 am »
As of what's playing now, the DAC-10/ST-10 on the Odyssey Lorelei's is a pretty killer combo.  I may soon take Mark up on his offer to try the DAC-9 and compare it to the DAC-10 and the La Voce. When the weather warms up some more here in balmy North Florida the ST-10 will go to the main room with the Nola KO's, Modwright LS-100 and the La Voce and the mAMPS will go back in with the DAC-10.

duke of dorkdom

« Reply #39 on: 17 Apr 2016, 05:08 pm »
Curious why power does "double down"